Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Bun Kenny takes top seeding at 2010 Open

Bun Kenny takes top seeding at 2010 Open

Bun Kenny takes top seeding at 2010 Open

THE Kingdom’s second national ranking tennis tournament, the Cambodian Open, is scheduled to get underway tomorrow at the National Training Centre, creating an ideal platform for top seed Bun Kenny to get some serious match play ahead of next month’s Asian Games in Guangzhou.

The tennis community is gradually warming up to the twice rescheduled Cambodian Open with a field of around 60 expected to take part in the week-long championship, which carries a total prize of about US$2,500. The competition – involving men’s singles and doubles, U14 and U18 boys singles, and Over 45s singles events – is being held under the aegis of the Tennis Federation of Cambodia.

A notable feature this year is the supportive role being played by TFC’s newest sponsor Pepsi, alongside main sponsor Ezecom.

“Entries are trickling in,” said TFC Technical Director and national team coach Braen Aneiros. “We are keeping it open till 11am [Friday] morning, and the draw will be made half an hour later at the TFC office.”

To encourage elderly tennis player participation, the Over 45s singles event has been introduced this year. Aneiros also noted an extra set of matches offered to those who make an early exit.

“Like the Cham Prasidh Cup, we will have a back draw in the men’s singles event where winners get to a circle of their own and first round losers get down to a second tier competition,” he said. “This way the competitive flavour lingers much longer for those who are beaten in the early rounds.”

Two promising players from Estonia, who are currently playing in the Vietnam International Junior Tournament at Bac Lieu, are likely to attend the Cambodian Open if their schedules permit them to be here in time. The European duo had already planned a visit next week for a training session at the NTC, but their participation in the Open depends on whether they could confirm their travel plans before the draw is made.

“We are not sure whether these boys can make it. We are waiting for their call,” said Aneiros. “It would be good if they are here. One of them has a junior ranking of around 800, and he probably would be seeded second behind [Bun] Kenny, who is an obvious choice, being the country’s No 1 player.”

First round matches of the men’s singles competition are slated for a 9am start on Saturday at the NTC next to the Cambodian Country Club.

Meanwhile, the recently filmed documentary on the TFC will be repeatedly shown on news channel CNN’s Open Court programme this weekend. Viewing times in Cambodia are 1:30pm tomorrow, 10:30am, 2:30pm and 10pm on Sunday and 8:30am on Monday.

MOST VIEWED

  • Over $3M in traffic fines collected in two months

    Traffic police officers collected over $3 million in fines throughout the Kingdom during the past two months when officers strictly enforced the law in accordance with a May sub-decree, officials said. As incentives, law enforcement officers received between 200,000 and two million riel ($50 to $500) each. The figures

  • More than 10,000 workers suspended

    More than 10,000 workers at 18 factories in Svay Rieng province have been suspended because of Covid-19, said provincial deputy governor Ros Pharith. Home to 11 special economic zones, Pharith said Svay Rieng has not been spared as the pandemic takes a toll on the global economy. “There

  • Oz lauds Kingdom’s passage of money laundering laws

    In a press release published by the Australian embassy in Phnom Penh on Monday, the country applauded Cambodia’s stance on transnational crimes as well as its promulgation of an anti-money laundering law and a law on combating proliferation financing. The praise came after King

  • Lotus face masks designed to cover globe

    A French designer in Cambodia has produced ecological face masks from lotus fibre to supply local and international markets with an eye on preserving ancestral techniques and supporting Cambodian women in rural communities. During a trip to Asia, Awen Delaval, an eco-friendly fashion designer, was

  • Accused not treated equally, says CCHR

    The Cambodia Centre for Human Rights (CCHR) has urged the Court of Appeal to do more to ensure that an accused’s right to a fair trial is fully respected. In a bulletin released on Monday, the CCHR said it had monitored 273 cases at the

  • Fish, frogs to boost local food supply

    The government has disbursed more than $4.5 million to boost aquaculture production and domestic market supply amid the Covid-19 pandemic. Minister of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries Veng Sakhon told The Post on Monday that in boosting agricultural production, the ministry has received financing from development partners

  • Planning ministry hands out cash to 420,000 poor families in Kingdom

    The Ministry of Planning has identified 20,000 more poor families in the country, bringing the total to over 580,000, while over 420,000 of them have received the government’s cash assistance. In the meantime, many social security cards from families not deemed to be poor have been revoked.

  • Nature in focus at inaugural film and photo festival

    The first Cambodian Wildlife Photo and Film Festival – an event celebrating the conservation of nature through the eyes of wildlife photographers, nature enthusiasts and conservation experts – is scheduled for July 18-26 at Fauna in Focus’ Nature Discovery Centre in Siem Reap. The festival will be

  • Investors’ $14.4M projects approved

    New investments from local and foreign sources continue to pour into Cambodia despite the Covid-19 pandemic remaining a lingering threat to regional and global economies. This comes as the Kingdom’s gross domestic product (GDP) is expected to contract between one and 2.9 per cent this

  • NagaWorld casinos set to reopen, schools to follow

    NAGACORP Ltd has requested that it be allowed to reopen its NagaWorld integrated resorts in Phnom Penh after the government recently approved casinos to operate again, provided they follow Covid-19 prevention measures set by the Ministry of Health. Mey Vann, the director-general of the Ministry