Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Cambodian wins ITF doubles event in Portugal



Cambodian wins ITF doubles event in Portugal

Doubles partners Katharina Hering (left), from Germany, and Cambodia’s Andrea Ka show off their trophies after winning the ITF Azores Open Futures 2 in Portugal. Photo supplied
Doubles partners Katharina Hering (left), from Germany, and Cambodia’s Andrea Ka show off their trophies after winning the ITF Azores Open Futures 2 in Portugal. Photo supplied

Cambodian wins ITF doubles event in Portugal

Cambodia's Andrea Ka partnered German Katharina Hering to win the doubles title in the ITF women’s $10,000 Azores Open Futures 2 in the Portuguese city of Ponta Delgada last weekend.

In the hard-court final at the Clube de Tenis de Miguel, the second-seeded Ka-Hering doubles pairing easily had the measure of Desirae Krawczyk of the US and Elina Vikhryanova of Russia 6-3, 6-3.

On the way to the final, Ka and her partner ousted third seed Jazzamav Drew of Great Britain and Mia Nicole Eklund of Finland 6-2, 6-3.

In the singles main draw, however, the 24-year old Cambodian right-hander, who became the first player from the Kingdom to win an ITF singles event earlier this year, bowed out in the second round to Natalia Orlova of Russia 4-6, 6-7.

Having touched a career high ranking of 752 in the world at the start of the event, the fifth-seeded Ka, who made the semifinals in a similar event a week ago, got past the first round with ease against Claudia Franze of Italy 6-1, 6-4.

“I was a bit disappointed with my singles result but I am happy to win the doubles title but I am determined to improve my singles ranking,” said Ka, who has amassed seven ranking points in the last three tournaments this month.

The American-born player, who first represented Cambodia in the 2011 SEA Games in Indonesia and figured only in the mixed doubles then, led the Kingdom’s first ever women’s team in the 2015 Singapore edition.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Ministry names types of business permitted amid lockdown

    The Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training singled out 11 types of business that are permitted to operate during the lockdown of Phnom Penh and Takmao town, which run through April 28. Those include (1) food-processing enterprises and slaughterhouses; (2) providers of public services such as firefighting, utility and

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting