Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Cilic gives Croatia Davis win over France

Cilic gives Croatia Davis win over France

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Croatian player Marin Cilic reacts during his singles tennis match against Frenchman Lucas Pouille in the Davis Cup final between France and Croatia on Sunday. PHILIPPE HUGUEN/AFP

Cilic gives Croatia Davis win over France

CROATIA dethroned holders France to win the Davis Cup for the second time as Marin Cilic beat Lucas Pouille in straight sets to seal the victory.

Cilic won 7-6 (7/3), 6-3, 6-3 to secure the title for Croatia for the first time since 2005.

Pouille took Cilic to a tie-break in the first set on the indoor clay in Lille but could not mount a challenge in the next two, losing in two hours, 19 minutes.

It meant Croatia won all three singles matches in straight sets with the scheduled fifth match between Jo-Wilfried Tsonga and Borna Coric a dead rubber. France won a single match, in the doubles.

“It’s just a dream weekend, we all dreamed of playing this well all weekend,” said Cilic. “We did not even concede a service [in singles].”

It was the last final in the traditional format before a radical but controversial reorganisation of the venerable competition.

“Yes, that makes it special,” said Cilic.

The victory gives Croatia some revenge for their football team’s defeat by France in the World Cup final in July.

“We can’t wait to be in Zagreb, like the footballers when they came back from the World Cup,” said Zeljko Krajan, the Croatia captain.

Sweet moment

The beaten Pouille made no excuses: “They were better than us and all we can do is congratulate them,” he said.

“I played a pretty good match but Cilic was better than me in every department. Last year I cried tears of joy. This year I cried because I was sad.”

It was an especially sweet moment for Cilic. In the 2016 final, he also played the first reverse singles with Croatia a point ahead, but lost in five sets to Juan Martin del Potro and Argentina went on to win 3-2.

“We were in this position before and Marin did not manage to do it,” said Krajan.

“This time, I told them that they were strong enough and that they would only have to focus on their game for this to happen.”

From next year a qualification tournament will take place in February, from which 12 teams will progress to the finals in November, along with the previous four semi-finalists and two wild cards.

The finals will take place at the Caja Magica in Madrid between November 18 and 24, but one concern is that many players take time off around that period of the year.

France team member Nicolas Mahut said he was still at a loss to understand the decision of his country’s federation to back the change.

“I won’t criticise the small federations which voted ‘yes’ because the new format will give them a change to blood young players. But not us. Sorry, but France’s decision just doesn’t wash as far as I am concerned.”

MOST VIEWED

  • Schools to be reopened in ‘three stages’

    With guidance from Prime Minister Hun Sen, the Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport, is in the process of reopening schools in three stages. But no timeline has been set, ministry spokesperson Ros Soveacha said on Thursday. Soveacha said the first stage will be to

  • Thai border crossings eased

    The Cambodian Embassy in Thailand said in an announcement on Wednesday that Thailand’s government has allowed certain passengers from several countries to enter its borders. The visitors must go back to their country immediately after their duties in Thailand are fulfilled, the embassy said.

  • Gov’t says tourism recovers slightly despite pandemic

    The Ministry of Tourism and the Phnom Penh municipal administration have recognised 33 tourism businesses in the capital which have consistently implemented safety measures for tourists and adhered to the code of conduct issued by the ministry. Recently, the ministry announced that tourism businesses had to

  • Mull ASEAN border opening, PM urges

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has requested that ASEAN launch a scenario for gradually reopening cross-border travel and trade between countries in the region. He said ASEAN has had more success combating Covid-19 compared to other regions. The prime minister’s request was made at the

  • Ministry reports 11 new Covid-19 cases, reiterates vigilance

    Minister of Health Mam Bun Heng has urged people to continue practising virus prevention techniques after 11 people tested positive for Covid-19 within two days after arriving in the Kingdom. Speaking on Sunday, Bun Heng stressed the importance of washing hands, wearing masks or scarves when

  • Nine on Indonesia flight Covid-19 positive

    The Ministry of Health on Saturday confirmed nine more imported cases of Covid-19. The nine ‒ eight Cambodians and one Indonesian, aged 22 to 26 ‒ arrived in Cambodia on Thursday via a direct flight from Indonesia and are receiving treatment at the Khmer-Soviet Friendship Hostipal in Phnom Penh.

  • Kingdom’s financial sector healthy

    Cambodia's financial sector remains on a sustainable growth path despite the Covid-19 pandemic squeezing crucial industries, National Bank of Cambodia (NBC) governor Chea Chanto said. Tourism, garments and footwear have borne the brunt of the Covid-19 impact, he said, whereas the financial and agriculture sectors

  • Vietnam told to remove border tents

    Kandal provincial governor Kong Sophoan has ordered local authorities to prohibit the construction of buildings in areas bordering Cambodia and to report any irregularities immediately. Recently, Vietnamese officials removed another seven tents from the border area with Cambodia. His remarks were made on Wednesday afternoon

  • Migrant workers set to return from Malaysia

    The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation confirmed on Thursday that 158 Cambodian students and migrant workers will fly home from Malaysia on Friday morning. This is the second flight to bring Cambodians home from Malaysia. A ministry notice said Malaysia Airlines Flight MH754 will

  • Cambodia to remain neutral on ASEAN-China territorial dispute

    Minister of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation Prak Sokhonn told an informal meeting of ASEAN foreign ministers on Wednesday that Cambodia will stay neutral on the South China Sea. He appealed to all stakeholders to continue fostering a conducive environment that contributes to the end