Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Coco Gauff, 15, sets up Australian Open blockbuster against Osaka

Coco Gauff, 15, sets up Australian Open blockbuster against Osaka

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Coco Gauff of the US serves against Romania’s Sorana Cirstea during their women’s singles match on day three of the Australian Open tennis tournament in Melbourne on Wednesday. AFP

Coco Gauff, 15, sets up Australian Open blockbuster against Osaka

Fifteen-year-old prodigy Coco Gauff recovered from a set down to reach the Australian Open third round on Wednesday, setting up a mouthwatering meeting with reigning champion Naomi Osaka.

The American teenager, playing just her third Grand Slam and her first at Melbourne, celebrated wildly after defeating Romania’s Sorana Cirstea 4-6, 6-3, 7-5.

Japan’s Osaka, a relative veteran at age 22, defeated the fast-rising Gauff in straight sets in the third round of last year’s US Open in their only previous match.

“It was emotional,” the young American, ranked 67 in the world, told Melbourne Arena after her latest scalp.

Gauff stunned seven-time Grand Slam winner Venus Williams in the first round, repeating her victory over the veteran American on her Major debut last year at Wimbledon.

Gauff reached the fourth round at Wimbledon, where she lost to eventual champion Simona Halep.

“I never thought I would have so many people supporting me,” she added after dumping out Cirstea.

Of her looming showdown on Friday with two-time Grand Slam winner Osaka, Gauff said: “She’s a great competitor so I think it’s going to be a good match.”

The nerveless Gauff was two points from defeat in the deciding set against 74th-ranked Cirstea.

But the fearless teenager hung in and grabbed the crucial break in the 11th game, pumping her fists after burying a ferocious overhead smash.

“Just my will to win and especially the crowd,” she said, asked how she had survived against the more experienced Cirstea, 29.

“My parents always told me you can always come back – no matter what the score is.”

Osaka loses cool

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Naomi Osaka celebrates victory againat China’s Zheng Saisai during their women’s singles match on day three of the Australian Open tennis tournament in Melbourne on Wednesday. AFP

Osaka, the former world number one and third seed, booked her spot in the third round despite a mid-match fit of pique.

The Japanese dealt better with the blustery Melbourne conditions to defeat China’s 42nd-ranked Zheng Saisai 6-2, 6-4.

But there was a flash of temper from Osaka when Zheng broke early in the second set, throwing her racquet to the floor, then giving it a kick for good measure.

She also threw down a ball and tossed the racquet down again as she slumped to her chair, covering her head with her towel.

“I just wanted to fight, I’ve been in this position before on this court [a break down in the second set] and I was thinking that I really don’t want to play a third set this time,” Osaka said.

The Japanese knows that as the title-holder “people want to beat me more”.

“I did not deal well with that after this tournament [last year], I tell you,” she admitted.

The hard-hitting Osaka broke the Chinese in her first service game, only for Zheng to strike back immediately.

But the Chinese struggled with her serve in the breeze and conjured up two double faults on the trot to go down 4-2.

Osaka wrapped up a dominant first set in 34 minutes with a stinging forehand.

After the blip of dropping her serve at the start of the second set, Osaka wrestled two breaks back, sealing victory when Zheng again double-faulted.

MOST VIEWED

  • PM orders immediate action against ‘sexy’ live streamers

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Monday ordered immediate action against women who live stream their sales pitches on Facebook wearing revealing clothing. The prime minister said the practice erodes traditional Cambodian values and disgraces women. Hun Sen gave the order to officials attending the Cambodian

  • Tourist area greenlit in Sihanoukville

    The National Committee for Coastal Management and Development will coordinate with relevant ministries over the establishment of a billion-dollar tourist area named Neak Reach in Preah Sihanouk province after it was proposed by the Ministry of Tourism. The Ministry of Land Management, Urban Planning and

  • Hun Sen defends decision to dock Westerdam cruise ship

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Thursday hit back at critics who say he allowed the Westerdam cruise ship to dock in Sihanoukville for political reasons. Speaking at an annual gathering of the Ministry of Interior, Hun Sen said he acted to avert a humanitarian catastrophe

  • Cool heads will defeat Covid-19

    Since Covid-19 was first reported as a world health issue, cruise ships have been the worst to suffer after airlines. The experiences of those who were initially trapped on the Covid-19-stricken Diamond Princess are unimaginable. The cruise ship was rejected from docking at one

  • Affordable housing project in Kandal nearing completion

    Worldbridge Homes Co Ltd’s $73 million affordable housing project in Kandal province’s Koh Kor village, in Sa’ang district, is on track to be completed at year’s end or at the beginning of next year, its general manager Yuk Sothirith told The Post

  • Crimes up with 211 deaths, influx of foreigners to blame

    Minister of Interior Sar Kheng on Wednesday said crimes increased by eight per cent last year, resulting in 211 deaths. He revealed the figures during the ministry’s 2019 review and laid the blame for the increase on an influx of foreigners into the Kingdom. “The crime