Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Colts target Patriots rivalry after McDaniels snub




Colts target Patriots rivalry after McDaniels snub

Colts target Patriots rivalry after McDaniels snub

Indianapolis Colts general manager Chris Ballard said on Wednesday that the team was determined to renew its rivalry with the New England Patriots after being jilted by Josh McDaniels.

Patriots offensive coordinator McDaniels dramatically backed out of an agreement to join the Colts as head coach late on Tuesday, opting instead to remain in New England.

The U-turn sent shockwaves across the NFL, with widespread disbelief that McDaniels, 41, had backed out at the 11th hour.

McDaniels’s agent Bob Lamonte said the Patriots coach was “committing professional suicide”, according to ESPN. Lamonte has split with McDaniels following the change of heart.

Former Colts coach Tony Dungy added: “I can tell you there is no excuse big enough to justify this.”

Ballard, who had been due to introduce McDaniels to reporters on Wednesday, instead issued a statement of defiance about the snub, vowing to target the Patriots’ dominance in the AFC.

“The rivalry is back on,” said Ballard, revealing that he had dealt with McDaniels swiftly when he called to break the news of his reversal on Tuesday.

“I just said, ‘I just need a yes or no answer. Are you in or out?’” Ballard said.

“We went around for a minute and he said he’s out and I said: ‘OK, we’re gonna move forward. I wish you the best of luck.’

“There was no persuasion. We have work to do. I want someone that’s 100 percent committed to partnering with us and getting that work done.”

The Colts are now reported to be targeting the Philadelphia Eagles offensive co-ordinator Frank Reich and New Orleans assistant coach Dan Campbell.

“We will get the right leader for the Indianapolis Colts,” Ballard said on Wednesday.

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Kingdom one of safest to visit in Covid-19 era’

    The Ministry of Tourism on January 12 proclaimed Cambodia as one of the safest countries to visit in light of the Kingdom having been ranked number one in the world by the Senegalese Economic Prospective Bureau for its success in handling the Covid-19 pandemic. In rankings

  • Ministry mulls ASEAN+3 travel bubble

    The Ministry of Tourism plans to launch a travel bubble allowing transit between Cambodia and 12 other regional countries in a bid to resuscitate the tourism sector amid crushing impact of the ongoing spread of Covid-19, Ministry of Tourism spokesman Top Sopheak told The Post on

  • Kingdom accepts Chinese vaccine, PM first to get jab

    Prime Minister Hun Sen said China would offer Cambodia an immediate donation of one million doses of the Covid-19 vaccine produced by the Sinopharm company. In an audio message addressing the public on the night of January 15, he said Cambodia has accepted the offer and

  • Reeling in Cambodia’s real estate sector

    A new norm sets the scene but risks continue to play out in the background A cold wind sweeps through the streets of Boeung Trabek on an early January morning as buyers and traders engage in commerce under bright blue skies. From a distance, the

  • Quarantine site in north Phnom Penh inaugurated

    A four-building quarantine centre in Phnom Penh’s Prek Pnov district was formally inaugurated on January 6. The centre can house up to 500 people, according to Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng. At the inauguration ceremony, Sreng said the municipal hall had cooperated with the Ministry

  • ‘Beware of WhatsApp fraudsters’

    The Ministry of Posts and Telecommunications warned members of the public who use WhatsApp to vigilantly guard against a new trick employed by hackers that involves the use of six-digit codes sent to potential victims via the popular messaging app. The ministry said hackers could