Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Confident Ding brushes aside compatriot Xiao at snooker worlds



Confident Ding brushes aside compatriot Xiao at snooker worlds

Chinese snooker star Ding Junhui eased into the second round of the world championships on Tuesday with victory over Xiao Guodong. AFP
Chinese snooker star Ding Junhui eased into the second round of the world championships on Tuesday with victory over Xiao Guodong. AFP

Confident Ding brushes aside compatriot Xiao at snooker worlds

Chinese snooker star Ding Junhui eased into the second round of the world championships on Tuesday with a 10 frames to three demolition of compatriot and close friend Xiao Guodong.

Ding, who lost to Mark Selby in the 2016 final, rattled off the first four frames of the session to seal victory and will play either Scotland’s Anthony McGill or Welshman Ryan Day in the next round.

The 31-year-old Ding – who ousted five-time champion Ronnie O’Sullivan on his way to a semi-final defeat, also by Selby, last year – said he felt in the groove in his latest bid to become the first Chinese player to win the title.

“I scored heavy. I started very strong and just tried to play my shots,” said Ding, who has 13 top tournament victories to his credit.

“I am confident with my form and playing well, scoring well and playing good safety. I am happy.”

Ding’s chances of securing the title appear to have improved with Selby surprisingly going out in the first round and another former world champion Shaun Murphy also bowing out.

Ding, though, is unconcerned about his rivals’ fortunes nor whom he plays.

“I am not worried about my opponent. I think about myself. I try to smile and not worry if I miss chances,” said Ding, who has gone beyond the first round at the worlds on nine occasions.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Businesses in capital told to get travel permit amid lockdown through One Window Service

    The Phnom Penh Municipal Administration has issued guidelines on how to get travel permission for priority groups during the lockdown of Phnom Penh, directing private institutions to apply through the municipality's One Window Service and limit their staff to a mere two per cent. In

  • Ministry names types of business permitted amid lockdown

    The Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training singled out 11 types of business that are permitted to operate during the lockdown of Phnom Penh and Takmao town, which run through April 28. Those include (1) food-processing enterprises and slaughterhouses; (2) providers of public services such as firefighting, utility and

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting