Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Coronavirus wipes out early-season LPGA golf championships in Asia




Coronavirus wipes out early-season LPGA golf championships in Asia

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Brooke Henderson plays out of the bunker on the 18th hole during the first round of the Gainbridge LPGA at Boca Rio on January 23 in Boca Raton, Florida. AFP

Coronavirus wipes out early-season LPGA golf championships in Asia

Golf’s HSBC Women’s World Championship in Singapore and the LPGA Thailand were cancelled on Monday because of the coronavirus outbreak, meaning the US LPGA Tour has been forced to scrap all three of its lucrative early-season events in Asia.

The World Championship, won last year by world number two Park Sung-hyun, is one of the most prestigious on the US LPGA Tour with the world’s top 20 players and the previous year’s major-winners all participating.

The Tour had already announced 10 days ago the cancellation of China’s Blue Bay LPGA from March 5-8 on the southern island of Hainan.

The three-event swing would have carried in excess of $5 million in prize money. The coronavirus outbreak has affected several other sports including football and athletics, mainly in China.

“Due to the continued health concerns and recent advisories in some Asian countries that large-scale events should be cancelled or postponed as a result of the coronavirus, the LPGA and its partners have made the decision to cancel the 2020 Honda LPGA Thailand and the 2020 HSBC Women’s World Championship,” an LPGA Tour statement said.

An elite field of 66 were due to compete for a $1.5 million purse at Sentosa Golf Club from February 27 with defending champion and Park playing along with fellow South Korean Ko Jin-young, the world number one, and third-ranked Nelly Korda of the US.

A purse of $1.6 million would have been up for grabs at the Siam Country Club in the Thai resort of Pattaya from February 20, and $2.1 million at the Jian Lake Blue Bay Golf Course on Hainan Island from March 5.

LPGA Tour players are currently in Adelaide where the Australian Open begins on Thursday after Sunday’s conclusion of the Vic Open, won by South Korea’s Park Hee-young in Geelong.

After that the LPGA tour will resume at the Founder’s Cup in Phoenix, Arizona, on March 19.

Health priority

“The health and safety of our players, fans and everyone working on the event is always our highest priority,” the LPGA statement said.

“While we are disappointed that these tournaments will not take place this season, we look forward to returning to Asia soon.”

The tour’s next scheduled Asia event is the LPGA Shanghai, China, in October.

Singapore has stepped up its disease alert level with event organisers advised to cancel or defer non-essential large-scale events.

Singapore has barred the entry of travellers who had been to China recently and suspended issuing visas for Chinese passport holders.

The novel coronavirus has killed more than 900 people and infected 40,000 people in China. The severe acute respiratory syndrome (Sars)-like virus is believed to have emerged in the central city of Wuhan.

Other major sporting events to be cancelled or postponed in China because of the virus include the World Indoor Athletics Championships, Olympic qualifying events in boxing, women’s football and basketball, World Cup skiing and a Formula E race.

China has also suspended all domestic football, with the start of the top-flight Chinese Super League postponed indefinitely.

Other prestigious Asian sports events such as Formula One’s Chinese and Vietnamese Grands Prix and the Hong Kong Rugby Sevens, all scheduled to take place in April, remain in doubt.

MOST VIEWED

  • Would you like fries with that? US burger chain makes Phnom Penh debut

    California-based The Habit Burger Grill restaurant chain is all set to serve up a delicious array of charbroiled burgers and sides at its newest international location in the centre of Phnom Penh. The Habit is “renowned for its award-winning Charburgers grilled over an open flame,

  • Banteay Meanchey flood victims receive aid

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Wednesday provided aid to more than 10,000 families affected by flooding in Banteay Meanchey province’s Mongkol Borei district and offered his condolences to the 18 victims who drowned in the province over the past week. He said flooding had occured in

  • Angkor provides ‘valuable’ water storage

    The Apsara National Authority (ANA) has stored millions of cubic metres of water at reservoirs in the Angkor area after Cambodia experienced a series of rainstorms over the last few days. The storing of the water, besides serving temple conservation, will also be used to

  • PM urges caution as Polish man tests positive for Covid

    The Ministry of Health on Wednesday reported that a 47-year-old Polish man tested positive for Covid-19 after arriving in Cambodia on Monday. There are a total of six Covid-19 patients currently in the country, all of whom are being treated at the Khmer-Soviet Friendship Hospital

  • Banteay Meanchey floods kill one more as death toll reaches 15

    As floodwaters start to recede in Pursat, Battambang and Pailin provinces and Phnom Penh, Banteay Meanchey continues to bear the brunt as one more person was killed on Monday, bringing the total number of flood-related deaths to 15 in the province this month. Banteay Meanchey provincial

  • Serving coffee with a side of robots

    The eye-catching glass building surrounded by greenery at the intersection of Streets 371 and 2002 in Phnom Penh’s Sen Sok district is more than just another coffee shop where you can while away a few hours. UrHobby House cafe is filled with robots and characters from