Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - ‘Crucial mistakes’ blamed for Hong Kong loss



‘Crucial mistakes’ blamed for Hong Kong loss

Boeung Ket Angkor striker Chan Vathanaka scored in Cambodia’s 4-2 friendly defeat to Hong Kong last week.
Boeung Ket Angkor striker Chan Vathanaka scored in Cambodia’s 4-2 friendly defeat to Hong Kong last week.

‘Crucial mistakes’ blamed for Hong Kong loss

Cambodia’s coach Lee Tae Hoon blamed a lack of “cohesion” after Cambodia lost 4-2 to Hong Kong in their friendly at the Mong Kok Stadium on Thursday evening.

“Mistakes at crucial stages have once again cost us. The key is cohesion and our players often drift into spells of anxiety. We had our chances but we did not take them,’’ he said.

However, the South Korean coach added that the experience would stand his charges in good stead when the two sides meet at the Olympic Stadium on October 6.

True to his bold prematch predictions, Hong Kong’s head coach Kim Pang-gon employed various midfield and attacking combinations to outsmart the Angkor Warriors.

Speedy Jaimes McKee was central to Hong Kong’s attacking strategy, and it took 11 minutes for the English-born Hong Kong Pegasus striker to score the opening goal.

Cambodia equalised when Chhreng Polroth found the back of the net in the 20th minute. A defensive lapse led to Hong Kong being awarded a penalty, which was neatly converted by Itaparica just past the half-hour mark.

The 147th-ranked Hong Kong relentlessly pursued more goals and got their third eight minutes before the break through Sandro.

Chan Vathanaka re-ignited Cambodian hopes with a 61st minute strike to keep the visitors in the game, but a 86th-minute goal by Lo Kwan Yee settled the argument in favour of Hong Kong, who celebrated a first win this year after two defeats and a draw.

Hong Kong coach Pang-pon said the scoreline did not truly reflect the tenacious fight that Cambodia put up.

“As I cautioned before the match, our players [did have to] bring out their A-game. I am happy and relieved that we have our first win of the year, and we can look forward with greater assurance to our preparations for the East Asian Games qualifiers and the Asian Cup,’’ he said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year