Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Davis facing injury layoff despite MRI scan boost



Davis facing injury layoff despite MRI scan boost

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Anthony Davis of the Los Angeles Lakers falls to the ground during the second half against the Denver Nuggets at Staples Center on February 04, 2021 in Los Angeles, California. Harry How/Getty Images/AFP

Davis facing injury layoff despite MRI scan boost

Los Angeles Lakers star Anthony Davis faces a lengthy injury layoff despite a scan revealing he had not suffered a ruptured Achilles tendon, ESPN reported on February 15.

ESPN said the US basketball dynamo was unlikely to return to action before the NBA’s All-Star break, due to take place from March 5-10.

Concern mounted for the 27-year-old’s fitness after he limped out of February 14’s defeat to the Denver Nuggets with a recurrence of his Achilles problem.

Davis missed two games against the Oklahoma City Thunder last week with tendonosis in his right Achilles before returning to face Memphis on February 12.

A statement from the Lakers said Davis had undergone an MRI scan on February 15 that revealed no sign of a ruptured right Achilles tendon.

“Davis will miss tomorrow’s game vs Minnesota, and will be further evaluated by team doctors upon his return to Los Angeles,” the Lakers said.

The team did not give a likely timetable for his return, but ESPN suggested he faced “two to three weeks” on the sidelines.

Any long-term injury to Davis would deal a hammer blow to the Lakers’ hopes of defending their NBA crown.

Davis, who joined the Lakers in 2019, played a pivotal role in the team’s march to the franchise’s 17th NBA championship.

So far this season, Davis has averaged 22.5 points per game in 23 appearances.

MOST VIEWED

  • PM imposes nationwide Covid restrictions, curfew over Delta scare

    Prime Minister Hun Sen late on July 28 instructed the municipal and provincial authorities nationwide to strictly enforce Covid-19 measures including curfew for two weeks from July 29 midnight through August 12 to stem the new coronavirus Delta variant. The instruction came shortly after he issued a directive

  • Two luxury hotels latest quarantine options for inbound travellers

    The Inter-Ministerial Committee to Combat Covid-19 has designated two luxury hotels as alternative quarantine options for travellers who wish to enter Cambodia through Phnom Penh International Airport – Sokha Phnom Penh Hotel & Residence and the Courtyard by Marriott Phnom Penh. In a notice detailing guidelines issued

  • Provinces on Thai borders put in lockdown amid Delta fears

    The government has decided to place several border provinces in lockdown for two weeks in a bid to prevent the new coronavirus Delta variant spreading further into community. According a directive signed by Prime Minister Hun Sen late on July 28, the provinces include Koh Kong,

  • China denies Mekong hacking

    As the US and its allies joined hands last week to expose what they allege to be China’s Ministry of State Security’s malicious cyber activities around the world, the attention also turned to Cambodia with the US Department of Justice claiming that four

  • US' Johnson & Johnson Covid-19 vaccines arrive

    The first batch of 455,000 doses of the Johnson & Johnson Covid-19 vaccine donated by the US touched down in Phnom Penh on the morning of July 30. They are part of the total 1,060,100 doses the US has pledged to provide to Cambodia through the World Health Organisation-led (

  • Governor: Covid subsides in capital

    Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng said the Covid-19 situation in the capital’s 14 districts has eased, with only two districts still recording a high number of infections. “Transmission cases in all districts are dropping, though they are relatively higher Meanchey and Por Sen Chey.