Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Del Potro hopes to make another big splash in Miami




Del Potro hopes to make another big splash in Miami

Juan Martin Del Potro is congratulated by Roger Federer after their men's final at Indian Wells on Sunday. AFP
Juan Martin Del Potro is congratulated by Roger Federer after their men's final at Indian Wells on Sunday. AFP

Del Potro hopes to make another big splash in Miami

The stars are finally starting to align for Juan Martin Del Potro who will be seeking his third straight ATP title at the Miami Masters this week.

The south Florida showcase got an additional boost on Sunday when Del Potro saved three championship points to hand world No1 Roger Federer his first loss of 2018 in a thrilling 6-4, 6-7 (8/10), 7-6 (7/2) victory at the Indian Wells Masters.

With the win, combined with injuries to Rafael Nadal, Novak Djokovic and Andy Murray, it is now looking like Del Potro is the biggest threat to Federer’s rule over the ATP Tour.

“It’s time to celebrate this, because I made the big effort to win it,” Del Potro said. “And then be ready for Miami. It is one of my favourite tournaments on tour.

“Many Latino-American people are expecting my game there. That make me feel special. I would like to keep surprising myself and see how far I can go.”

Del Potro, 29, captured his second ATP title in a row and recorded his biggest victory since his comeback from multiple wrist surgeries.

Federer was 17-0 on the season heading into the Indian Wells final which was a personal best for him.

Del Potro said the first order of business when he gets to south Florida is to do some celebrating with his team.

“I cannot tell you,” he joked of his party plans. “It will be Miami, maybe tomorrow, but that’s enough.”

Del Potro also won the title earlier this month in Acapulco, where he beat three top eight players in a row to clinch his 21st singles crown.

‘Happy again’

He is back in the top ten rankings this season for the first time since 2014. He dropped to No1,045 before beginning his comeback from the left wrist surgeries in 2016.

On Monday, Del Potro moved up to No6 in the rankings.

“I don’t care about the numbers. I just want to keep winning titles,” he said.

Del Potro said something changed for him in his career when he upset then world No1 Djokovic in the first round of the 2016 Rio Olympics.

“After the Djokovic match, my tennis life changed,” he said. “I feel happy again with my tennis life.

“I won the Davis Cup and I say: ‘Okay, I don’t have any more pressure to play tennis because I won everything that I what.’”

But there was still one thing missing on his resume and that was a Masters 1000 title which he earned by beating Federer.

“I have everything that I want, and I want to keep improving my game to see what can I do,” he said.

Federer goes to Miami licking his wounds after losing his fourth of six career finals to Del Potro. Overall he holds a commanding 18-7 lead, but in finals it’s a different story, including the 2009 US Open which Del Potro won 3-6, 7-6 (7/5), 4-6, 7-6 (7/4), 6-2.

“Should I have won the US Open final? I don’t know,” Federer said. “I could have. Should have. I didn’t. Same today.

“I am not sure why the final record is what it is. Most of them have gone the distance. It’s been tough against him.”

Federer said he spent too much time second guessing himself during Sunday’s match.

“I let an opportunity like this go by. Having him hit something past me, that’s very uncomfortable for him, and you pick the wrong side and you are like ‘Why am I picking the wrong side?’ Is it him or me? You just don’t know.

“Next thing you are shaking hands. Okay, too good. You move on.”

For Federer that means to Miami as well, where he is the top seed. He said Sunday he won’t decide whether to play in the French Open until after he plays Miami.

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Kingdom one of safest to visit in Covid-19 era’

    The Ministry of Tourism on January 12 proclaimed Cambodia as one of the safest countries to visit in light of the Kingdom having been ranked number one in the world by the Senegalese Economic Prospective Bureau for its success in handling the Covid-19 pandemic. In rankings

  • Ministry mulls ASEAN+3 travel bubble

    The Ministry of Tourism plans to launch a travel bubble allowing transit between Cambodia and 12 other regional countries in a bid to resuscitate the tourism sector amid crushing impact of the ongoing spread of Covid-19, Ministry of Tourism spokesman Top Sopheak told The Post on

  • Kingdom accepts Chinese vaccine, PM first to get jab

    Prime Minister Hun Sen said China would offer Cambodia an immediate donation of one million doses of the Covid-19 vaccine produced by the Sinopharm company. In an audio message addressing the public on the night of January 15, he said Cambodia has accepted the offer and

  • Reeling in Cambodia’s real estate sector

    A new norm sets the scene but risks continue to play out in the background A cold wind sweeps through the streets of Boeung Trabek on an early January morning as buyers and traders engage in commerce under bright blue skies. From a distance, the

  • Quarantine site in north Phnom Penh inaugurated

    A four-building quarantine centre in Phnom Penh’s Prek Pnov district was formally inaugurated on January 6. The centre can house up to 500 people, according to Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng. At the inauguration ceremony, Sreng said the municipal hall had cooperated with the Ministry

  • ‘Beware of WhatsApp fraudsters’

    The Ministry of Posts and Telecommunications warned members of the public who use WhatsApp to vigilantly guard against a new trick employed by hackers that involves the use of six-digit codes sent to potential victims via the popular messaging app. The ministry said hackers could