Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Dovizioso edges out Marquez in Qatar MotoGP thriller



Dovizioso edges out Marquez in Qatar MotoGP thriller

Marc Marquez (left), Andrea Dovizioso (centre) and Valentino Rossi celebrate on the podium following the 2018 Qatar MotoGP Grand Prix on Sunday. AFP
Marc Marquez (left), Andrea Dovizioso (centre) and Valentino Rossi celebrate on the podium following the 2018 Qatar MotoGP Grand Prix on Sunday. AFP

Dovizioso edges out Marquez in Qatar MotoGP thriller

Italy’s Andrea Dovizioso won a thrilling season-opening Qatar MotoGP on Sunday, surviving a last-lap challenge from world champion Marc Marquez.

Dovizioso retook the lead on the final bend of the 22-lap night race to record a notable victory on a track where he had finished as runner-up for the past three years.

Nine-time world champion Valentino Rossi came home in third place on a Yamaha.

Dovizioso, who finished runner-up in the world championship last year, first snatched the lead with five laps to go from long-time leader France’s Johann Zarco, who started on pole.

The Italian held off Honda’s Marquez until the dramatic last lap, before taking the chequered flag and his first 25 points of the season.

“It was a perfect race, perfect weekend,” said Dovizioso. “We worked very well.”

The Italian had been in good form in practice and qualifying and it was surprising that he started fifth on the grid.

Even worse, a bad start on his Ducati meant Dovizioso fell down the field at the start before he was able to haul himself back towards the leaders.

He added: “It was a really bad start, but I was calm, I recovered very slowly and saved a lot of tyres.”

“I was able to push at the end, even though the tyre was finished.”

Marquez happy

Spaniard Marquez said he had tried to push Dovizioso “100 percent”.

“First of all, I am really happy to finish second on this track, it is one of the most difficult,” Marquez said.

“Today, he deserved the victory, he was faster than us, but my target was to try to control him.”

It is the third time Dovizioso has beaten Marquez by snatching the lead on the final bend.

Rossi said he was happy with a podium finish, adding he wanted to follow it up with more this year.

“I am so happy, I expect more than last year,” said Rossi, who also finished third in Qatar in 2017.

“Thanks to my team, thanks to Yamaha and we try to continue this.”

He added: “It’s a very good way to start the season.”

France’s Zarco eventually trailed in eighth, despite leading for two-thirds of the race, dropping off disappointingly at the business end of the contest.

Dovizioso said the chasing pack had waited for the perfect time to attack the Frenchman in an effort to save their tyres on a demanding track.

However, the Italian said he was unconvinced his victory had put down a marker for the rest of the season, and still expected several riders to challenge for this year’s world championship.

Britain’s Cal Crutchlow came in fourth with Danilo Petrucci fifth.

Last year’s winner in Doha, Maverick Vinales, took sixth on a Yamaha.

The next race takes place on April 8 in Argentina.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Businesses in capital told to get travel permit amid lockdown through One Window Service

    The Phnom Penh Municipal Administration has issued guidelines on how to get travel permission for priority groups during the lockdown of Phnom Penh, directing private institutions to apply through the municipality's One Window Service and limit their staff to a mere two per cent. In

  • Ministry names types of business permitted amid lockdown

    The Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training singled out 11 types of business that are permitted to operate during the lockdown of Phnom Penh and Takmao town, which run through April 28. Those include (1) food-processing enterprises and slaughterhouses; (2) providers of public services such as firefighting, utility and

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting