Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - England boss Jones apologises for Ireland, Wales slurs

England boss Jones apologises for Ireland, Wales slurs

England coach Eddie Jones has apologised ‘unreservedly’ after a video in which he makes derogatory remarks regarding Ireland and Wales emerged on Wednesday. AFP
England coach Eddie Jones has apologised ‘unreservedly’ after a video in which he makes derogatory remarks regarding Ireland and Wales emerged on Wednesday. AFP

England boss Jones apologises for Ireland, Wales slurs

England coach Eddie Jones has apologised “unreservedly” after a video emerged on Wednesday in which he made derogatory remarks regarding both Ireland and Wales.

The video shows Jones addressing a conference at Fuso, the parent company of England sponsors Mitsubishi, last year where he referred to the Irish as “scummy” and described Wales as a “sh— place”.

The Australian’s incendiary remarks were uploaded by Fuso to Youtube in July but came to light just days before England will try to stop 2018 Six Nations champions Ireland from completing a Grand Slam at Twickenham on Saturday.

Until this season, the only match England had lost since Jones took over following their first-round exit at the 2015 World Cup was when Ireland denied them a Grand Slam with a 13-9 victory in Dublin last year.

“We’ve only lost one Test to the scummy Irish,” Jones said in the video.

“I’m still dirty about that game, but we will get ’em back. We will get that back, don’t worry. We have got them next year at home – we will get ’em back!”

Earlier in the talk Jones, mentioning how Japan’s Under-20s lost 125-0 to their Welsh counterparts shortly after he became the head coach of the senior Japan men’s team in 2012, said: “Wales! Who knows Wales? It’s this little sh— place that has got 3 million people – 3 million!”

Added incentive for Irish

Former Australia and Japan coach Jones, in an apology released by England’s governing Rugby Football Union, said: “I apologise unreservedly for any offence caused – no excuses and I shouldn’t have said what I did. I’m very sorry.”

In the unlikely event Ireland – chasing what would be just their third Grand Slam of all time – needed any extra motivation for the St Patrick’s Day clash then Jones has certainly given them an added incentive to win this weekend.

His comments will have caused huge embarrassment to Twickenham chiefs, with an RFU spokeswoman saying: “Eddie has apologised for his inappropriate remarks, and the RFU is also very sorry for any offence caused and will apologise to the IRFU [Irish Rugby Football Union] and WRU [Welsh Rugby Union].”

Jones’s jibes are also likely to lead to accusations of hypocrisy. He received widespread sympathy after being verbally and physically abused while travelling on public transport and posing for selfies with Scotland fans after England’s 25-13 Calcutta Cup loss at Murrayfield.

But Jones said a newspaper column, in which former Scotland captain Gavin Hastings indicated Scotland would love nothing more than “to rub Eddie Jones’s face in the dirt”, had contributed to an incendiary atmosphere.

“If you talk about hate and you talk about rubbing people’s nose in the dirt, and all those sorts of things, it incites certain behaviours,” Jones said.

“Are they the sorts of behaviours that we want to see?”

England head into Saturday’s match (at 9:45pm Cambodian time) on the back of the first real dip of Jones’s reign after successive defeats by Scotland and France ended their hopes of a third straight Six Nations title under the outspoken coach.

Their record under Jones now stands at 24 wins in 27 Tests and a further loss on Saturday could see England finish as low as fifth in the table.

MOST VIEWED

  • PM to vet NY holiday dates

    The Ministry of Economy and Finance submitted a letter to Prime Minister Hun Sen asking him to formally set a five-day national holiday from August 17-21 to make up for the Khmer New Year holiday in April that was postponed. Finance minister Aun Pornmoniroth sent

  • Cambodia rejects UN rights claim

    Cambodia's Permanent Mission to the UN Office in Geneva on Friday hit back at David Kaye, the UN special rapporteur on the Promotion and Protection of the Right to Freedom of Opinion and Expression after he raised concerns over the repression of free speech and

  • Snaring may spawn diseases

    The World Wildlife Fund (WWF) has warned that snaring of animals has become a crisis that poses a serious risk to wildlife in Southeast Asia and could spawn the transmission of zoonotic diseases to humans. Its July 9 report entitled Silence of the Snares: Southeast Asia’

  • Ex-party leader, gov’t critic named as secretary of state

    A former political party leader known for being critical of the government has been appointed secretary of state at the Ministry of Rural Development, a royal decree dated July 9 said. Sourn Serey Ratha, the former president of the Khmer Power Party (KPP), told The Post

  • Residence cards set for over 80,000 immigrants

    The Ministry of Interior plans to grant residence cards to more than 80,000 immigrants to better keep track of them. The ministry announced the plan on July 10, following the results of an immigration census. “An inter-ministerial committee and many operational working groups have been set up

  • Kingdom produces PPE gear

    Medical supplies from Cambodia have been donated to member countries of the Asian Development Bank (ADB) to assist in the fight against Covid-19, said an ADB report published on July 9. The report stated that the supplies were donated as a response to global efforts to

  • Kingdom, US vow stronger ties

    At an academic forum on Saturday to celebrate 70 years of Cambodia-US diplomatic ties, Cambodian researchers and officials expressed hope of encouraging US investments and for that country to deepen and improve its bilateral relations. Held at the Royal Academy of Cambodia, it reviewed the past 70

  • Fifteen Cambodians from Saudi get Covid-19

    The Ministry of Health on Sunday confirmed 15 more imported cases of Covid. The 15 men ‒ all Cambodian aged 21 to 33 ‒ arrived from Saudi Arabia on Friday via a connecting flight in Malaysia. They were travelling with 79 other passengers, three of them women. The ministry said 80 of the

  • Ministry requests school opening

    The Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport on Thursday said it would request a decision from Prime Minister Hun Sen to allow a small number of schools to reopen next month. Ministry spokesman Ros Soveacha said if the request is granted, higher-standard schools will reopen

  • Kingdom eyes India FTA, China deal set for August

    Cambodia is studying the possibility of establishing a bilateral free trade agreement (FTA) with India to open a new market with the second-largest regional economy. This comes as an FTA with China is scheduled to be signed next month while similar negotiations with South Korea