Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - England ‘fully fit’ for Scottish Six Nations clash



England ‘fully fit’ for Scottish Six Nations clash

England ‘fully fit’ for Scottish Six Nations clash

England have been given a clean bill of health for Saturday’s Six Nations clash against Scotland in Edinburgh, with Nathan Hughes on course to start at No8.

Lingering doubts over Owen Farrell and Joe Launchbury have lifted. Farrell overcame an unspecified lower leg injury and Launchbury is available after missing Friday’s open training session at Twickenham.

Hughes has been proving his fitness during gruelling sessions at England’s Surrey training base after recovering from knee ligament damage sustained on Wasps duty in mid-December.

The No8 has made one club appearance since returning several weeks ahead of schedule but starts at Murrayfield after Sam Simmonds was ruled out by a shoulder problem.

“Everyone’s fully fit for selection this weekend,” forwards coach Steve Borthwick said. “Nathan’s worked really hard, really diligently and he looks in really good shape. He’s healed very fast, which is great.

“While our strength and conditioning and medical team have worked incredibly hard, the credit has to go to Nathan for the work he’s done while he’s been injured. We want to make sure all of our players are ready for Test matches, that’s why we train at the intensity level we train at.

“Nathan gives us different strengths to Sam. He’s an outstanding ball carrier. His effect on the group has grown.

“He’s excellent with younger players, helping them mentally. He’s grown as a player in terms of the influence he has throughout, as a leader as well.”

England are second in the Six Nations table after two wins out of two, trailing Ireland on points difference, while Scotland are in fourth spot following their win against France.

Lions trio boost Wales for Irish

Leigh Halfpenny, Dan Biggar and Taulupe Faletau have all returned to training for Wales ahead of their Six Nations clash against Ireland, also on Saturday.

Victory for Wales would end Ireland’s Grand Slam hopes and keep alive their own title chances, while an Irish win would increase the likelihood of a championship showdown against England at Twickenham on March 17.

Halfpenny, Biggar and Faletau all missed the 12-6 defeat to England at Twickenham, which came after Wales opened their Six Nations account with a thumping 34-7 win against Scotland.

George North, a second-half replacement at Twickenham, and Liam Williams are also fit to travel to Dublin.

“Everybody has been given the green light and we’ve got a few boys who are happy they scored at the weekend [in club rugby],” Wales forwards coach Robin McBryde said. “There were a couple of wins and some good performances so it’s great to have everybody back with a spring in their step.

“It’s nice to have a few selection headaches and plenty of players to choose from.“There’s a competitive edge to training and there will be a few tough calls I’m sure, but we’re looking forward to those discussions.”

Full-back Halfpenny, who scored two tries against Scotland, missed the Twickenham defeat after picking up a foot injury.

Outside-half Biggar suffered a shoulder injury playing for Ospreys in the Champions Cup last month and No8 Faletau has battled back after damaging knee ligaments.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Businesses in capital told to get travel permit amid lockdown through One Window Service

    The Phnom Penh Municipal Administration has issued guidelines on how to get travel permission for priority groups during the lockdown of Phnom Penh, directing private institutions to apply through the municipality's One Window Service and limit their staff to a mere two per cent. In

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Ministry names types of business permitted amid lockdown

    The Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training singled out 11 types of business that are permitted to operate during the lockdown of Phnom Penh and Takmao town, which run through April 28. Those include (1) food-processing enterprises and slaughterhouses; (2) providers of public services such as firefighting, utility and