Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - English FA considers 2030 World Cup bid




English FA considers 2030 World Cup bid

Content image - Phnom Penh Post

English FA considers 2030 World Cup bid

The Football Association is considering putting England forward as a potential host for the 2030 World Cup, confirming on Wednesday it has approved a feasibility study into becoming Europe’s only bid.

England, the home of the globally dominant Premier League, won the only World Cup the nation has ever hosted in 1966 but lost out in the race to host the 2006 and 2018 tournaments.

“Last month the English FA board agreed to conduct feasibility work into the possibility of putting itself forward to be UEFA’s potential candidate to host the 2030 FIFA World Cup,” FA chairman Greg Clarke said in a statement.

“This work will take place during the new season and no decision will be made until 2019.”

England went out in the first round of voting for the 2018 World Cup but the FA has made little secret of its interest in trying again, particularly as it now has more faith in the selection process of world governing body FIFA.

With the World Cup growing from 32 to 48 teams in 2026, when the 80-game tournament will be held in Canada, Mexico and the United States, FIFA has hinted it believes the event may be too big for one country.

Joint UK bid?

This has led to speculation that any bid from the United Kingdom will actually be an English-led joint bid.

The FA has not confirmed or denied if it is considering a joint bid with any combination of Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales but it has now formally admitted it is studying options.

It follows a Sunday Times report that Qatar’s bid engaged in a “dirty tricks” campaign to discredit its rivals in the build-up to the vote to decide where the 2018 and 2022 World Cups would be held, an allegation 2022 host Qatar has denied.

If proven true, however, former FA chairman Lord Triesman told the newspaper FIFA should give the World Cup to England, as it had the know-how and infrastructure in place to stage one at short notice.

This intervention was not well received by the FA’s current regime.

“FIFA has chosen Qatar to host the 2022 World Cup and they have a duty to investigate any issues around the process that are rightly thrown into question,” said Clarke.

“Russia did a brilliant job hosting the 2018 World Cup and we support the rotation of World Cup hosting among the confederations. That would make the 2030 World Cup the next one a European nation might be able to host, and not before.

“Anyone suggesting otherwise is acting disrespectfully to our global game and does not speak for the English FA.”

The 2030 battle looks set to be between a Moroccan-led North African bid, a joint bid from Argentina, Paraguay and Uruguay and whoever emerges from Europe.

The South American bid looks strong as 2030 will be the 100th anniversary of the first World Cup in Uruguay and South America will claim it is its turn.

The last major tournament hosted England was the 1996 European Championship but seven games will be played at Wembley during Euro 2020, including both semifinals and the final.

England reached the semi-finals during the recent World Cup in Russia, sparking a football frenzy at home after a string of failures on the international stage.

MOST VIEWED

  • All inbound flights set to face added scrutiny

    Ministry of Health spokesperson Or Vandine said on Monday that the ministry is monitoring all inbound flights, after it was announced that only those from Malaysia and Indonesia will be temporarily cancelled from August 1. Vandine said on Monday that the two countries were identified as

  • Flights from Indonesia, Malaysia cancelled

    A Ministry of Health official has warned of the possibility of Covid-19 spreading through community transmission after the total infected cases in the Kingdom rose to 225. Ministry spokeswoman Or Vandine told reporters on Saturday that the possibility of community transmission cannot be overlooked and that

  • Man in quarantine dies of ‘overdose’

    The Ministry of Health on Thursday said a Cambodian migrant worker who died while being isolated at a quarantine centre in Tbong Khmum province’s Kroch Chhmar district may have died from syncope or overdose of tablets. In a statement, the ministry said the 21-year-old

  • Ministry set to reopen 20 schools in August

    The Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport will allow 20 high-safety-standards schools to reopen next month despite new cases of Covid-19 in the country. Ministry spokesperson Ros Soveacha wrote in a Telegram message on Wednesday that the schools are in Phnom Penh, Siem Reap and Battambang.