Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - European Tour to expand in China as golf boom returns




European Tour to expand in China as golf boom returns

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
An aerial view of the awards ceremony for the China Open golf tournament in Shenzhen, in China’s southern Guangdong province on Sunday. STR/AFP

European Tour to expand in China as golf boom returns

Buoyed by record crowds and a wave of exciting young players, the European Tour is looking to expand again in China after some rocky times, a leading official said.

The tour has lost two events in China, including the $7 million BMW Masters, in recent years but there are signs that the good times are returning.

Last week’s 25th anniversary edition of the Volvo China Open, co-sanctioned by the Asian Tour, drew a tournament-record 48,000 spectators to Genzon Golf Club in Shenzhen.

Forty-five Chinese players were in the field, an unprecedented number for the European Tour, and a record 10 made the cut – including 14-year-old local schoolboy Kuang Yang and two other teenage amateurs.

“Our aim is to try and have two main tour events back-to-back out here [in China],” Ben Cowen, the European Tour’s deputy chief operating officer international, said.

“So the Volvo China Open and another the week after in the region. The jump from Morocco last week to here is difficult for all of our guys, so actually we are going to change that next year.”

Volvo China Open board chairman Sven de Smet said he was in talks with the European Tour that could mean moving the China Open from its traditional May Day holiday week slot.

“It is important to find the right spot in the calendar where players can come not just for one week but maybe two,” he said. “We are working on that together with the tours.”

‘Sport for millionaires’

Cowen has been coming to China since the 1990s and said no one then could have predicted the growth witnessed since the Volvo China Open was founded in 1995 as the country’s first professional tournament.

“It’s been a monumental change,” he said.

“The number of spectators that you now see at golf tournaments has increased exponentially. And they are knowledgeable spectators as well.”

Many of the thousands who poured through the gates to witness Mikko Korhonen of Finland win in a playoff after a thrilling final-round three-way tussle on Sunday were schoolchildren.

“It’s lovely to see so many kids coming here,” said Cowen. “Hopefully they can experience this and get the taste for golf and want to come back.”

Golf has overcome a few bumps in China, where it was banned until the 1980s under the orders of Mao Zedong, who decried it as a bourgeois “sport for millionaires”.

Four years ago, the ruling Communist Party appeared to ban its 88 million members from golf, before later giving it the thumbs-up.

With golf back in the Olympics, the China Golf Association (CGA) has embraced partnerships with the European Tour and US PGA Tour, giving Chinese golfers a route to the top echelons of the sport.

‘All positive for golf’

The PGA Tour has an annual China series, a 14-event season where the leading players win places on the second-tier Web.com Tour.

And a European Tour card is available for the winner of the CGA’s China Tour, along with three spots at the tour’s Q-school finals.

The second-tier European Challenge Tour has two tournaments in China this year and Cowen said they were looking to double that.

“We have worked long and hard with the CGA to create that natural ladder and we definitely would like to have two at the beginning of the year and two at the end of the year,” he said.

“The way we structure those events is to split the field 50-50 with the China Golf Association. That really gives the guys an opportunity to play at a very high level.

“If we can get that structure in place there’s no reason why the players can’t come through from China.”

Cowen said he welcomed the US PGA Tour’s creation of a three-tournament $29.25 million Asian swing in South Korea, Japan and China, culminating in Shanghai’s WGC-HSBC Champions – co-sanctioned by the European Tour – in October.

“I don’t think anyone can ignore an economy as big as China,” said Cowen. “And you’ve also got Korea and Japan which are two of the biggest golfing markets in the world.”

Superstar Tiger Woods has already announced he will be playing in the inaugural Japan event.

“All of that is positive for the game of golf,” said Cowen. “We’ve been here in Asia since 1999, pretty much, when we first sanctioned the Malaysian Open.

“It’s good to see the PGA Tour following in our footsteps and coming to the party!” he laughed.

MOST VIEWED

  • Man Covid-19 positive after Thailand trip

    The Ministry of Health on Saturday reported the third Covid-19 case in less than two weeks, bringing the total to 125. The man, a 26-year-old from Tbong Khmum province's Tbong Khmum district, arrived at the O'Beichoan border checkpoint in Banteay Meanchey province on Thursday. He is

  • Kingdom's GDP growth to narrow -1% to -2.9%, World Bank says

    The World Bank expects further recoil on Cambodia’s gross domestic product (GDP) growth to between minus one per cent and minus 2.9 per cent for 2020 as its main growth drivers – tourism, manufacturing exports and construction – take a beating due to Covid-19, its latest economic update

  • Vietnam: Tougher sentences for child abusers

    Several National Assembly (NA) deputies in Vietnam are calling for tougher penalties to be handed down to child abusers. They hope stricter punishments will act as a strong deterrent to prevent offenders committing further offences in the future. Extreme measures such as chemical castration were

  • Central bank to shun small US banknotes

    The National Bank of Cambodia (NBC) is considering not accepting smaller denominated US dollar banknotes – $1, $2 and $5 – from banks and microfinance institutions (MFIs) which it said are flooding its stockpile as the demand for those notes is low. While some banking insiders welcomed the move as

  • PM lauded in Covid-19 fight

    World Health Organisation (WHO) director-general Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus sent a letter to Prime Minister Hun Sen thanking him for following the WHO’s guidance and commending Cambodia’s efforts in the fight against Covid-19. In his letter made public by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs

  • Workers return, hope for salaries

    More than 600 factory workers in the capital’s Chaom Chao commune in Por Sen Chey district returned to work after the factory’s owner promised to pay their salaries in instalments until the middle of next month. On Tuesday and Wednesday, more than 600 workers gathered