Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - F1 unveils ‘Grid Kids’ idea after end of ‘grid girls’

F1 unveils ‘Grid Kids’ idea after end of ‘grid girls’

Formula One has ended the practice of using scantily clad walk-on "grid girls" before races, the sport's organisers Liberty Media said on January 31.
Formula One has ended the practice of using scantily clad walk-on "grid girls" before races, the sport's organisers Liberty Media said on January 31.

F1 unveils ‘Grid Kids’ idea after end of ‘grid girls’

After announcing last week the demise of the “grid girls” who graced the paddock in the lead-up to Formula One races, organisers unveiled a new initiative to involve children instead.

World governing body the FIA said the move – using “Grid Kids” already involved in motor racing – would make the pre-race ceremony more relevant for fans.

“Formula 1 is the pinnacle of motor sport and the dream of every young racer competing [in] the junior series . . . from karting all the way to F1,” FIA president Jean Todt said on the organisation’s website.

“We are therefore delighted to bring that dream a little closer by giving the future champions of our sport the opportunity to stand alongside their heroes on the grid in the build-up to the race start.”

Liberty Media has owned the rights to Formula One since January 2016 and says it is trying to reinvent the sport to make it more widely attractive.

“While the practice of employing grid girls has been a staple of Formula 1 Grands Prix for decades, we feel this custom does not resonate with our brand values and clearly is at odds with modern day societal norms,” F1 commercial director Sean Bratches said last week.

MOST VIEWED

  • Man arrested for fake PM endorsement

    The owner of currency exchange company GCG Asia Co Ltd was temporarily detained by the court yesterday for attempted fraud after Prime Minister Hun Sen reacted to the company using his name and pictures to allege his endorsement of the firm. Phnom Penh Municipal Court

  • Sihanoukville authority orders structure dismantled

    The Preah Sihanouk provincial administration has ordered owners of two unauthorised construction sites to immediately dismantle them and warned of legal action if the owners failed to comply. Ly Chet Niyom, development management and construction bureau chief at the provincial hall, told The Post on

  • Police seek arrest of Chinese ‘gang’

    Cambodian police remain on the lookout for 20 Chinese nationals who earlier this month posted a video clip threatening to stoke insecurity in Preah Sihanouk province, though the Chinese Embassy in Phnom Penh maintained the group posed no threats to Cambodia’s national security. National Police

  • Rapper deletes song critical of Cambodian social issues

    A young musician has deleted from Facebook and YouTube a rap song that was critical of Cambodia’s social issues and announced that he will stop singing the song after officials visited his home in Siem Reap province and allegedly gave him a warning. Provincial