Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Fenerbahce beckons as Ozil set to leave Gunners



Fenerbahce beckons as Ozil set to leave Gunners

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Arsenal’s German midfielder Mesut Ozil is set to leave the English Premier League after seven years with the North London club. AFP

Fenerbahce beckons as Ozil set to leave Gunners

Mesut Ozil’s seven-year stay at Arsenal is set to end after reports on January 16 claimed the former Germany attacker and the Gunners have reached a mutual consent to release him from his contract, which was set to expire at the end of the current season.

The 32-year-old had been expected to leave in the January transfer window with Turkish giants Fenerbahce the favourites to sign him on a free transfer.

The Athletic reported Ozil is set to travel to Istanbul this weekend to complete his move to Fenerbahce.

Since the coronavirus pandemic saw football grind to a halt, he was omitted from Arsenal’s Premier League and Europa League squads, with Arteta and technical director Edu insisting the decision to do so was down to footballing reasons.

However, a few other factors have been linked to the decision to freeze Ozil out.

Despite being the club’s highest earner with a reported £350,000-a-week deal, he rejected a pay cut in April when the majority of the squad and backroom staff agreed to reduce their salaries by 12.5 per cent.

In December 2019, Arsenal also distanced themselves from comments Ozil made on social media criticising China’s treatment of the Uighur population.

The early years of Ozil’s career at the Emirates after his move from Real Madrid in 2013 were a success. He played a major role in winning three FA Cups in four years.

But, he became a peripheral figure after Arsene Wenger departed as manager in 2018, just five months after signing his bumper three-year deal.

MOST VIEWED

  • Locations shut, dozens more Covid-19 positive

    The Ministry of Health has closed 23 locations in connection with the February 20 community transmission of Covid-19 and summoned for testing anyone who had direct contact with affected people and places. The number of discovered related infections has risen to 76, including 39 women. In a press release,

  • Kingdom's Covid cluster cases jump to 194

    The Ministry of Health on February 25 confirmed 65 new cases of Covid-19, with 58 linked to the February 20 community transmission. The latest cluster cases include nine Vietnamese nationals, five Cambodians, one each from Korea, Singapore and Japan, with the rest being Chinese. This brings the total number

  • Cambodia's Covid cluster cases rise to 137

    The Ministry of Health on February 24 recorded 40 more cases of Covid-19, with 38 linked to the February 20 community transmission. Of the 40, two are imported cases involving Chinese passengers. The 38 include two Vietnamese nationals and one Cambodian, with the rest being Chinese. This brings the total cases

  • Covid cluster raises alarm, health bodies urge vigilance

    The Ministry of Health and the World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia have expressed great concern over the February 20 cluster transmission of Covid-19 in the community. Both entities appealed for vigilance and cooperation in curbing further spread of the virus. Ministry spokeswoman Or Vandine said

  • PM confirms third Covid-19 community transmission

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on February 20 announced the Kingdom's third outbreak of Covid-19 community transmission after 32 people tested positive in just over 10 hours. Addressing the public from his residence after an emergency meeting, Hun Sen said: "I dub it February 20 Community Event, in which 32 cases

  • Cambodia to make auto-rickshaws

    Locally-assembled electric auto-rickshaws could hit the Cambodian market as soon as early in May after the Council for the Development of Cambodia (CDC) gave the greenlight to an investment project at the weekend. According to a CDC press release, it will issue a final registration