Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Five who could succeed Smith as Australia cricket captain




Five who could succeed Smith as Australia cricket captain

Wicketkeeper Tim Paine replaced Steve Smith as Australia captain for the remainder of the third Test with South Africa after the ball-tampering scandal. AFP
Wicketkeeper Tim Paine replaced Steve Smith as Australia captain for the remainder of the third Test with South Africa after the ball-tampering scandal. AFP

Five who could succeed Smith as Australia cricket captain

With Steve Smith banned for at least one Test and likely to face more punishment over the ball-tampering scandal, we look at who could become Australia’s next cricket captain.

Tim Paine

Was seen as a surprise choice when drafted in to replace Smith when he stood down as skipper for the remainder of the third Test in Cape Town after the ball tampering scandal erupted.

The 33-year-old wicketkeeper had been a shock selection for the recent Ashes series against England after six years in the wilderness.

But as an elder statesman with a calm head, he could get the nod.

Mitchell Marsh

The 26-year-old all-rounder has been in good form with bat and ball and could be a solid long-term pick.

After a period of mediocre performances, he has now established himself as a near permanent fixture in the team.

The son of former national coach Geoff, he has honed his leadership skills as skipper of Western Australia.

Usman Khawaja

An outsider, but the top-order batsman has plenty of experience and patience.

Born in Pakistan, the 31-year-old has displayed composure at difficult times and shown his credentials as captain during a stint in charge at Queensland and on the Australia A tour of India in 2015.

Pat Cummins

The tearaway paceman is widely regarded and has youth on his side at age 24.

It is highly unusual to have a fast bowler as captain and the burden may be too much, but if cricket chiefs are looking for a fresh start, he could be the man to take them forward.

Was tipped earlier this year by Michael Clarke as a captain-in-waiting.

Michael Clarke

Clarke was Smith’s predecessor, retiring in 2015 after playing 115 Tests.

Now a TV commentator, he suggested at the weekend he was open to a return.

“If I was asked by the right people, then I would think about my answer,” the 36-year-old told Australia’s Nine Network, although he is seen as a real wildcard.

MOST VIEWED

  • Hungarian exposes 90 to Covid in Siem Reap

    The Ministry of Health has discovered 90 people who have been exposed directly or indirectly to a Hungarian man infected with Covid-19. They all are required to quarantine at home and the hospital. The ministry is searching for other affected people. Among the 90, one is the

  • PM warns of ‘new Cold War’

    Prime Minister Hun Sen said the possibility of a so-called new Cold War has become a significant concern and that all countries have to reject outright, any attempt to allow history to tragically repeat itself. He made the remarks in a speech during 75th Session

  • PM: West unfair to Cambodia

    Prime Minister Hun Sen released a message celebrating the International Day of Peace on Monday, saying that some major powers and western countries had been systemically cooperating to put political pressure on Cambodia as they did in the 1970s and 1980s. Hun Sen said pressuring

  • ‘Bad news is an investor’s best friend’ – unlocking investment potential in Cambodia

    It is time to shop. Economic woes provide good pickings for investors if they know where to look The poem If, written by English Nobel laureate poet and novelist Rudyard Kipling for his son circa 1895, is widely perceived as fatherly advice for John who would

  • PM requests Russia’s Covid vaccine

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has requested that Russia provide Cambodia with its Covid-19 vaccine after the former announced it planned on mass vaccinating its population next month. The request came on Thursday through the prime minister’s Facebook page as he met with Anatoly Borovik,

  • First ‘mobile kitchen’ in Cambodia enters service

    A catering company recently rolled out Cambodia’s first “mobile kitchen” – a $50,000 container capable of serving up to 200 people at a time. The kitchen is the brainchild of Seng Hok Heng Catering Services. At 4.4m-high, 6.8m-long and 2.4m-wide (expandable to 6.8m), the kitchen is equipped