Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - France drop eight players for ‘inappropriate behaviour’ in Scotland




France drop eight players for ‘inappropriate behaviour’ in Scotland

France drop eight players for ‘inappropriate behaviour’ in Scotland

Eight France players who went out in Edinburgh after the Six Nations loss to Scotland on Sunday were omitted from the squad announced on Tuesday for the next game, against Italy.

Those omitted from the 31-man squad for the match on February 23 in Marseille are Teddy Thomas, Louis Picamoles, Arthur Iturria, Anthony Belleau, Jonathan Danty, Sekou Macalou, Remi Lamerat and Felix Lambey.

Of those eight, only winger Thomas, who scored two tries against Scotland and one against Ireland the previous week, and Iturria, a lock, started at Murrayfield. Veteran No8 Picamoles and fly-half Belleau came off the bench in the second half.

“With their inappropriate behaviour they did not respect their status as international players and the responsibilities that brings,” the French rugby federation said in a statement.

The night out became public when Scottish police delayed the departure of the French team’s flight home on Monday morning.

The police wanted to talk to six players because they were potential witnesses, rather than perpetrators, in a possible sexual assault but quickly concluded that no crime had been committed.

Of the six players interviewed by police only Yacouba Camara, who started at flanker against Scotland, has kept his place.

Thomas, Iturria and Macalou were not among those taken off the plane but have also been punished by the French rugby federation for being in a bar late at night.

Hooker Alexandre Lapandry has also been dropped to make way for Camille Chat, who has recovered from flu.

Coach Jacques Brunel is also able to bring back centre Mathieu Bastareaud, whose ban for using homophobic language in a European club game has ended.

To fill the other vacant spots, Brunel recalled Francois Trinh-Duc, Gael Fickou, Kelian Galletier, Remy Grosso, Bernard Le Roux and Romain Taofifenua and brought in uncapped Mathieu Babillot.

MOST VIEWED

  • All inbound flights set to face added scrutiny

    Ministry of Health spokesperson Or Vandine said on Monday that the ministry is monitoring all inbound flights, after it was announced that only those from Malaysia and Indonesia will be temporarily cancelled from August 1. Vandine said on Monday that the two countries were identified as

  • Flights from Indonesia, Malaysia cancelled

    A Ministry of Health official has warned of the possibility of Covid-19 spreading through community transmission after the total infected cases in the Kingdom rose to 225. Ministry spokeswoman Or Vandine told reporters on Saturday that the possibility of community transmission cannot be overlooked and that

  • Man in quarantine dies of ‘overdose’

    The Ministry of Health on Thursday said a Cambodian migrant worker who died while being isolated at a quarantine centre in Tbong Khmum province’s Kroch Chhmar district may have died from syncope or overdose of tablets. In a statement, the ministry said the 21-year-old

  • Ministry set to reopen 20 schools in August

    The Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport will allow 20 high-safety-standards schools to reopen next month despite new cases of Covid-19 in the country. Ministry spokesperson Ros Soveacha wrote in a Telegram message on Wednesday that the schools are in Phnom Penh, Siem Reap and Battambang.