Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - French chief defiant in skating ‘rape and sexual abuse’ scandal




French chief defiant in skating ‘rape and sexual abuse’ scandal

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
French Ice Sports Federation (FFSG) President Didier Gailhaguet holds a press conference at the FFSG headquarters in Paris, on Wednesday, a day after French prosecutors opened an investigation into claims of rape and sexual abuse of minors in the sport. AFP

French chief defiant in skating ‘rape and sexual abuse’ scandal

French figure skating chief Didier Gailhaguet cut a defiant figure on Wednesday amid claims of rape and sexual abuse of minors in the sport and government demands for his resignation, blasting his critics as “moralising” and “chancers”.

Former world championship bronze medallist Sarah Abitbol, in her autobiography published last week, accused coach Gilles Beyer of raping her several times from 1990 to 1992 when she was between the ages of 15 and 17.

Sports Minister Roxana Maracineanu has called for federation head Gailhaguet to resign, saying he “cannot absolve himself of his moral and personal responsibility”.

French prosecutors then opened an investigation into Abitbol’s claims, which were followed by further allegations by three other skaters of underage sexual abuse.

“The minister did not hear me, she is draped in her certainties,” Gailhaguet told a press conference on Wednesday, adding he had been targeted by a “moralising” Maracineanu and “chancers that we have not seen at ice rinks for 10 years”.

“To resign, I must have committed some mistakes, and I haven’t.”

Gailhaguet added: “I have absolutely not protected Gilles Beyer.

“I’ve found out about 90 percent of these incidents in the press and in a book . . . 10 days ago.”

The federation, Gailhaguet continued, was “not a bunch of sexual perverts”.

“It’s a shockwave that has hit not only skating but all sports.”

‘Speechless’ minister

After meeting Maracineanu on Tuesday, Gailhaguet said he would not make a decision on whether to step down until the investigation had concluded.

That decision left the sports minister “a little speechless”.

“At no time did he say before me what his vision was with regard to this problem which affects his federation,” she said.

Maracineanu was backed up by French government spokesperson Sibeth N’Diaye, who argued that Gailhaguet had a “moral responsibility”, stressing that the executive board were not in a position to “correctly run the federation”.

N’Diaye’s comments followed news that four of the federation’s 16-strong board had resigned, the 12 others deciding to back Gailhaguet’s decision to await the conclusion of the probe.

Gailhaguet has been the most influential man in French ice skating since he first became president in 1998, some years after the alleged offences.

He has headed the federation ever since apart from a three-year hiatus between 2004 and 2007 which followed a judging scandal at the 2002 Winter Olympics for which he was suspended by the International Skating Union for three years.

Gailhaguet’s accession to the presidency opened the door for Abitbol’s coach Beyer to take over as manager of the French national team.

It has been shown that Gailhaguet was aware of complaints of inappropriate behaviour against Beyer.

A 2000 inquiry led the sports ministry to remove Beyer from his technical role at the federation, but he remained a coach at club level and held an executive position at the federation until 2018.

‘Error’ in youth supervision

Later on Wednesday, Maracineanu kept up her offensive by claiming that in 2011 Gailhaguet had asked “the executive committee of the federation for the reintegration of Beyer in the supervision of junior teams”.

Eleven years earlier, Beyer had been investigated and it was concluded that he should no longer have “any youth coaching function”.

Gailhaguet had recognised earlier at his press conference an “error” in allowing Beyer to have a supervisory role with the French team at the 2011 World Junior Championships.

In the wake of abuse allegations, leading French sports personalities on Wednesday published an open letter urging an end to the “silence” over the taboo of sexual assault in sports.

“We cannot stay silent any longer,” said a letter in the Le Parisien daily signed by the likes of judo star Teddy Riner, ice dancer Nathalie Pechalat and tennis player Tatiana Golovin.

“It is time to act collectively and understand that breaking the silence is to do service to sport.”

Also on Wednesday, Gailhaguet pointed to the case of French skater Morgan Cipres who was investigated in the US last year for allegedly sending lewd photographs to a 13-year-old girl.

“Morgan undoubtedly committed a major mistake, unacceptable. Shameful bullshit,” said the skating chief.

“I forced him to come and speak before the federal council to explain these facts and apologise.

“He is currently undergoing curative treatment with a psychologist. And we are planning preventive time in a specialised police unit for minors so that he can see the consequences.”

MOST VIEWED

  • Would you like fries with that? US burger chain makes Phnom Penh debut

    California-based The Habit Burger Grill restaurant chain is all set to serve up a delicious array of charbroiled burgers and sides at its newest international location in the centre of Phnom Penh. The Habit is “renowned for its award-winning Charburgers grilled over an open flame,

  • Banteay Meanchey flood victims receive aid

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Wednesday provided aid to more than 10,000 families affected by flooding in Banteay Meanchey province’s Mongkol Borei district and offered his condolences to the 18 victims who drowned in the province over the past week. He said flooding had occured in

  • Angkor provides ‘valuable’ water storage

    The Apsara National Authority (ANA) has stored millions of cubic metres of water at reservoirs in the Angkor area after Cambodia experienced a series of rainstorms over the last few days. The storing of the water, besides serving temple conservation, will also be used to

  • PM urges caution as Polish man tests positive for Covid

    The Ministry of Health on Wednesday reported that a 47-year-old Polish man tested positive for Covid-19 after arriving in Cambodia on Monday. There are a total of six Covid-19 patients currently in the country, all of whom are being treated at the Khmer-Soviet Friendship Hospital

  • Banteay Meanchey floods kill one more as death toll reaches 15

    As floodwaters start to recede in Pursat, Battambang and Pailin provinces and Phnom Penh, Banteay Meanchey continues to bear the brunt as one more person was killed on Monday, bringing the total number of flood-related deaths to 15 in the province this month. Banteay Meanchey provincial

  • Serving coffee with a side of robots

    The eye-catching glass building surrounded by greenery at the intersection of Streets 371 and 2002 in Phnom Penh’s Sen Sok district is more than just another coffee shop where you can while away a few hours. UrHobby House cafe is filled with robots and characters from