Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Froome starts season in Spain's Ruta del Sol despite opposition

Froome starts season in Spain's Ruta del Sol despite opposition

British cyclist Chris Froome of Sky Team heads off on a training session in Port de Alcudia on the Spanish island of Mallorca on December 14. AFP
British cyclist Chris Froome of Sky Team heads off on a training session in Port de Alcudia on the Spanish island of Mallorca on December 14. AFP

Froome starts season in Spain's Ruta del Sol despite opposition

Chris Froome returns to competition on Wednesday in Spain’s Ruta del Sol, but he will be riding under a cloud after the revelation in December of an abnormal doping result.

Froome has the right to ride because salbutamol, the substance that showed up in the test, is an anti-asthma drug which can be taken legally and so does not lead to an automatic ban.

Cycling’s international governing body (UCI) still has to make a ruling on the case and has asked Froome to explain why twice the allowed limit showed up in his sample. But the reaction of other riders suggests that the presence of the four-time Tour de France winner in the five-day race through Andalusia may provoke some resentment in the peloton.

UCI chief David Lappartient said last month that Froome should be suspended over the adverse test and some of the rider’s main rivals have hit out at cycling authorities for failing to ban him.

Despite the criticism, Froome, who has not raced since September, is preparing to start his 2018 season in the same country where he returned the controversial test on September 7 as he headed for victory in the Spanish Vuelta.

“About to head to Ruta del Sol. I want to thank everyone for their support & patience over this difficult period. I am doing my utmost to ensure that things are resolved as speedily as possible. Can’t wait to get this season started!!” Froome wrote on Twitter today.

Stepping stone

Froome, who won the race on his last appearance in 2015, should be one of the favourites over a course which contains a mountaintop finish on Thursday and ends in a time trial that could have been designed for the 32-year old Briton.

If he succeeds in clearing his name, this race could prove an important stepping stone for success on the road later in the season. He needs miles in his legs to prepare for his bigger objectives – the Giro d’Italia, which starts on May 4, and the Tour de France, starting July 7, where he would be chasing a record-equalling fifth victory.

On the other hand, if he is later banned then he would be retrospectively disqualified, meaning he could be distorting the competitive balance of the Ruta by riding.

Whatever the future verdict, Froome can expect to be the centre of intense attention, from the media, the fans and cycling professionals in his first race since the news of his test result.

He did not appear at the pre-race press conference today but could find himself facing the microphones on Wednesday, before or after the opening stage from Mijas on the Mediterranean coast and Granada on the slopes of the Sierra Nevada.

“Obviously I understand that this situation has created a lot of uncertainty. I completely get why there has been so much interest and speculation,” Froome said in a statement on Team Sky’s website last week.

Sky have not yet submitted the scientific evidence which might justify Froome’s abnormal sample. The team said in December they were providing information to the UCI and confirmed in a statement last Monday that the process was ongoing.

Team principal Dave Brailsford said: “We all recognise that these are difficult circumstances but it’s important for all sides that this process is conducted fairly before a final conclusion is reached.”

MOST VIEWED

  • Cambodia rejects UN rights claim

    Cambodia's Permanent Mission to the UN Office in Geneva on Friday hit back at David Kaye, the UN special rapporteur on the Promotion and Protection of the Right to Freedom of Opinion and Expression after he raised concerns over the repression of free speech and

  • Ex-party leader, gov’t critic named as secretary of state

    A former political party leader known for being critical of the government has been appointed secretary of state at the Ministry of Rural Development, a royal decree dated July 9 said. Sourn Serey Ratha, the former president of the Khmer Power Party (KPP), told The Post

  • Fifteen Cambodians from Saudi get Covid-19

    The Ministry of Health on Sunday confirmed 15 more imported cases of Covid. The 15 men ‒ all Cambodian aged 21 to 33 ‒ arrived from Saudi Arabia on Friday via a connecting flight in Malaysia. They were travelling with 79 other passengers, three of them women. The ministry said 80 of the

  • Ministry requests school opening

    The Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport on Thursday said it would request a decision from Prime Minister Hun Sen to allow a small number of schools to reopen next month. Ministry spokesman Ros Soveacha said if the request is granted, higher-standard schools will reopen

  • Kingdom eyes India FTA, China deal set for August

    Cambodia is studying the possibility of establishing a bilateral free trade agreement (FTA) with India to open a new market with the second-largest regional economy. This comes as an FTA with China is scheduled to be signed next month while similar negotiations with South Korea

  • Judge lands in court after crashing into alleged thief

    Sen Sok district police on Thursday sent a Koh Kong Provincial Court judge to the Phnom Penh Municipal Court on manslaughter charges after he crashed his car into a woman riding a motorbike on Wednesday, killing her. District police chief Hour Meng Vang told The

  • Vietnamese workers in Koh Kong questioned

    The General Department of Immigration (GDI) is questioning 49 Vietnamese nationals who were working illegally in Koh Kong province to build a case and send them back to Vietnam, its Department of Investigation and Procedure director Kem Sarin said on Thursday. GDI forces and provincial authorities

  • Preah Vihear court drops charges against villagers

    The Preah Vihear Provincial Court has dropped all charges against eight ethnic Kuoy villagers who were in a land dispute with the Hengfu Group Sugar Industry Co Ltd since 2014. Wednesday’s decision was made by the judge who tried the case on June 10. The eight

  • Gov’t to boost Siem Reap tourism

    The Ministry of Tourism released the results of an inter-ministerial committee meeting concerning Siem Reap province’s Tourism Development Master Plan for 2020-2035 on Wednesday, revealing the government’s plan to improve the overall tourist landscape there. The meeting was attended by Minister of Tourism

  • Residents ordered to remove structures on Phnom Penh’s canal

    Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng has ordered authorities to act against the perpetrators who built houses along the Luo 5 canal in Meanchey district. The municipal administration plans to create a committee to solve the matter. The order was given on Wednesday while Sreng led