Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Functional Barca to play Conte’s Chelsea at their own game

Functional Barca to play Conte’s Chelsea at their own game

Chelsea midfielder Danny Drinkwater closes Barcelona forward Lionel Messi in the first leg of their Champions League round of 16 match at Stamford Bridge in London on February 20. AFP
Chelsea midfielder Danny Drinkwater closes Barcelona forward Lionel Messi in the first leg of their Champions League round of 16 match at Stamford Bridge in London on February 20. AFP

Functional Barca to play Conte’s Chelsea at their own game

Antonio Conte’s Chelsea will aim to frustrate Barcelona in the second leg of their Champions League last-16 tie on Wednesday night but they may find an opponent less expansive than they expect.

Barca have set the standard in recent years for the most glittering style of football, but Ernesto Valverde has instilled a new style this season, built on resilience, organisation and hard graft.

With Lionel Messi and Luis Suarez left to their own devices up front, Barcelona’s midfield has become more conscientious and its backline harder to breach.

Atletico Madrid, as much renowned in defence as Barca have been in attack, have conceded only one goal fewer than the Catalans in La Liga all season.

Chelsea, however, enjoyed success at Stamford Bridge with a dogmatic approach, when only Messi’s equaliser spoilt what was otherwise a controlled Blues performance. Willian’s opener means Conte’s side take a 1-1 draw to the Camp Nou.

“We come to do exactly the same job as we did at Stamford Bridge,” Willian said on Tuesday.

“Without the ball we have to stay compact like we did at Stamford Bridge, we have to do the same job. We know here the pitch is big and we have to stay together and to not concede goals and go for the counterattack as well.”

But it remains to be seen how bold Barca will be. They beat Atletico 1-0 at home earlier this month to move eight points clear at the top of the table but it was not an eyecatching display.

With Philippe Coutinho ineligible, Paulinho is likely to start against Chelsea, and the midfielder will bring athleticism and energy in place of Coutinho’s creative spark.

Barcelona may be happy to play Chelsea at their own game, sustained by their crucial away goal and confident that, given the chance, Messi and Suarez can land the knockout blow.

Iniesta key, Messi well rested

Captain Andres Iniesta will be key and the Spaniard appears to have won his battle to be fit after recovering from a hamstring strain. He was included in Valverde’s squad on Tuesday.

“We know what Andres brings to the team, not only on the pitch but as a captain,” Barcelona midfielder Sergio Busquets said.

“You give him the ball and he always knows what he has to do to create chances.”

Conte conceded Chelsea would have to play the “perfect game” to reach the quarterfinals, and they will need Eden Hazard to deliver too.

Hazard has grown frustrated in recent weeks with his lone role up front, but when asked to compare the 27-year-old Belgian with Iniesta – who will soon be 34 – Conte seemed to lay down a challenge.

“We’re talking about two different players with different careers,” Conte said. “Iniesta won a lot in his career; Hazard has to start winning important trophies.”

On the impact of Iniesta’s possible return, Conte added: “I like to compare him with Andrea Pirlo. We are talking about a genius of the football.”

Barca are still unbeaten in La Liga and Messi will be well rested, having sat out Saturday’s win over Malaga to attend the birth of his third child.

The Argentine arrives with five goals in his last four games.

“He will be fine,” Busquets said. “In fact he will be more motivated than what we are used to, and physically he is going to be great after having an extra game’s rest. I hope that this is perfect.”

MOST VIEWED

  • PM to vet NY holiday dates

    The Ministry of Economy and Finance submitted a letter to Prime Minister Hun Sen asking him to formally set a five-day national holiday from August 17-21 to make up for the Khmer New Year holiday in April that was postponed. Finance minister Aun Pornmoniroth sent

  • Cambodia rejects UN rights claim

    Cambodia's Permanent Mission to the UN Office in Geneva on Friday hit back at David Kaye, the UN special rapporteur on the Promotion and Protection of the Right to Freedom of Opinion and Expression after he raised concerns over the repression of free speech and

  • Snaring may spawn diseases

    The World Wildlife Fund (WWF) has warned that snaring of animals has become a crisis that poses a serious risk to wildlife in Southeast Asia and could spawn the transmission of zoonotic diseases to humans. Its July 9 report entitled Silence of the Snares: Southeast Asia’

  • Ex-party leader, gov’t critic named as secretary of state

    A former political party leader known for being critical of the government has been appointed secretary of state at the Ministry of Rural Development, a royal decree dated July 9 said. Sourn Serey Ratha, the former president of the Khmer Power Party (KPP), told The Post

  • Residence cards set for over 80,000 immigrants

    The Ministry of Interior plans to grant residence cards to more than 80,000 immigrants to better keep track of them. The ministry announced the plan on July 10, following the results of an immigration census. “An inter-ministerial committee and many operational working groups have been set up

  • Kingdom produces PPE gear

    Medical supplies from Cambodia have been donated to member countries of the Asian Development Bank (ADB) to assist in the fight against Covid-19, said an ADB report published on July 9. The report stated that the supplies were donated as a response to global efforts to

  • Kingdom, US vow stronger ties

    At an academic forum on Saturday to celebrate 70 years of Cambodia-US diplomatic ties, Cambodian researchers and officials expressed hope of encouraging US investments and for that country to deepen and improve its bilateral relations. Held at the Royal Academy of Cambodia, it reviewed the past 70

  • Fifteen Cambodians from Saudi get Covid-19

    The Ministry of Health on Sunday confirmed 15 more imported cases of Covid. The 15 men ‒ all Cambodian aged 21 to 33 ‒ arrived from Saudi Arabia on Friday via a connecting flight in Malaysia. They were travelling with 79 other passengers, three of them women. The ministry said 80 of the

  • Ministry requests school opening

    The Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport on Thursday said it would request a decision from Prime Minister Hun Sen to allow a small number of schools to reopen next month. Ministry spokesman Ros Soveacha said if the request is granted, higher-standard schools will reopen

  • Kingdom eyes India FTA, China deal set for August

    Cambodia is studying the possibility of establishing a bilateral free trade agreement (FTA) with India to open a new market with the second-largest regional economy. This comes as an FTA with China is scheduled to be signed next month while similar negotiations with South Korea