Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Gafurov chokes out Lisita in KL

Gafurov chokes out Lisita in KL

Marat Gafurov (left) is announced as the winner of his bout against Rob Lisita at ONE FC
Marat Gafurov (left) is announced as the winner of his bout against Rob Lisita at ONE FC: Roar of Tigers in Kuala Lumpur. ONEFC.COM

Gafurov chokes out Lisita in KL

Russian kickboxing champion Marat Gafurov lived up to his nickname of “Cobra” with a venomous victory over top Australian featherweight Rob Lisita in the main event of ONE FC: Roar of Tigers at a packed out Stadium Putra in Kuala Lumpur on Friday.

In the opening round, Gafurov landed a kick to the head which staggered Lisita and sent him tumbling to the ground. The Russian immediately swarmed his opponent, taking the Australian’s back and locking in a rear naked choke that forced Lisita to tap out at one minute eight seconds.

Gafurov extended his win streak to ten bouts while “Ruthless” Rob Lisita dropped to 14 wins and seven losses.

In an intense battle of talented lightweights, hometown hero Peter Davis grounded and pounded Vaughn Donayre of the Philippines in the first round to pick up the TKO win.

Davis (9-3) and Donayre (7-3) wasted no time with a torrid exchange of strikes at the center of the cage.

When the fight hit the ground, the Malaysian caught his rival in a guillotine choke that almost ended things early, but Donayre escaped. However, he wound up underneath Davis, who rained down a slew of strikes from full mount, causing a halt to the contest.

Malaysia’s Ev Ting (8-2) added a headkick knockout to his stellar record with a triumph over Filipino Edward Kelly (5-2), winning in the second round of their featherweight matchup.

After an uneventful first round that was spent primarily with both fighters tangled and pressed up against the cage wall, Ting abandoned his grappling strategy to turn to striking and launched a quick head kick that hit the mark, dropping Kelly in a single shot. Ting confidently walked away as referee Yuji Shimada jumped in to intervene.

Malaysia’s Ann Osman (2-1) continued her winning ways as she defeated Aya Saeid Saber (2-5) of Egypt in the first round, sending the crowd into frenzied cheers.

Osman shot and scored on a takedown after sizing up her strawweight opponent, and once on the ground she effortlessly transitioned from side control into full mount, pouring down a barrage of punches and elbows from top position. With her unstoppable ground and pound, Osman was awarded the victory via referee stoppage.

Bashir Ahmad (3-1), widely considered the father of Pakistani MMA, came out of the gates looking to strike as he took the fight straight to Thai featherweight Tanaphong Khunhankaew (5-4).

When the fight hit the floor, Bashir overpowered Khunhankaew after surviving a failed submission attempt. He worked to take the Thai’s back after which he sunk in a deep rear naked choke, forcing the tap out.

Former Lumpinee champion Dejdamrong Sor Amnuaysirichoke’s near-flawless technique was on full display as he needed less than two rounds to dispose of Malaysian Saiful Merican.

When the fight began, the two Muay Thai specialists surprisingly spent most of their time grinding it out on the mat as Merican scored on multiple takedown attempts. In the second round,
Amnuaysirichoke put the pressure on the Malaysian with his striking, winding up in full mount after a furious scramble. Moments later, he expertly transitioned into an armbar, leaving Merican no choice but to tap out.

Singaporean Stephen Langdown scored an impressive TKO victory over Malaysia’s Raymond Tan, battering the local fighter with a series of well-placed strikes, capped off with a vicious kick to the head in round one. The referee jumped in to stop the fight, much to the dismay of the home fans.

Anatpong Bunrad of Thailand made quick work of Marc Marcellinus in round one, dropping the Malaysian with a front kick straight to the abdomen. Bunrad followed up with a swift kick to the head as the referee immediately stepped in to call a halt to the action, awarding Bunrad the knockout.

Egyptian boxer Hisham Hiba opened the show with a victory over Barbod of Iran, winning by referee stoppage in the second round.

The two fighters kicked off ONE FC: Roar of Tigers with an even display of striking and grappling. As soon as the second stanza began, Hiba picked up the pace with his boxing and was able to trip his opposite number onto the canvas, unleashing a barrage of strikes on a defenseless Barbod and causing the referee to call an end to their bout.


  • Angkor Wat named as the top landmark for the second year

    Travel website TripAdvisor has named Cambodia’s ancient wonder Angkor Wat as the top landmark in the world for the second year running in their Travelers’ Choice Award 2018, an achievement Cambodian tourism operators expect will attract more tourists to the Kingdom. The website uses traveller

  • New US bill ‘is a violation of Cambodian independence’

    After a US congressmen introduced bipartisan legislation that will enact sanctions on Cambodian officials responsible for “undermining democracy” in the Kingdom, government officials and the ruling Cambodian People’s Party on Sunday said they regarded the potential action as the “violation of independence and sovereignty

  • Hun Sen detractors ‘will die’

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Wednesday said those who curse or insult him would eventually die without a plot of land to bury their bodies after being killed by lightning, suffering the same fate as those who recently died in Thmar Baing district in Koh

  • Ministry’s plan for net sparks fears

    The government has ordered all domestic and international internet traffic in the Kingdom to pass through a Data Management Centre (DMC) that has been newly created by the state-owned Telecom Cambodia, in a move some have claimed is an attempt to censor government critics. Spokesman