Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - GGG renews Canelo ‘doping’ accusations ahead of rematch

GGG renews Canelo ‘doping’ accusations ahead of rematch

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Gennady Golovkin (right) speaks as Golden Boy Promotions president Eric Gomez (left) and Canelo Alvarez (second left) listen during a news conference at the MGM Grand Hotel & Casino on Wednesday in Las Vegas, Nevada. AFP

GGG renews Canelo ‘doping’ accusations ahead of rematch

Gennady Golovkin has renewed his assault on Saul “Canelo” Alvarez ahead of their long-awaited middleweight rematch on Saturday, accusing his Mexican challenger of being a drugs cheat.

Undefeated middleweight king Golovkin will climb into the ring with Alvarez at Las Vegas’s T-Mobile Arena on Saturday, one year after they battled to a controversial draw at the same venue.

A planned rematch for May 5 was canceled after Alvarez twice tested positive for the banned substance clenbuterol and was subsequently hit with a six-month suspension.

Alvarez insists the two failed drugs tests were the result of eating contaminated meat in his native Mexico, and has angrily denied accusations of doping.

But Golovkin, who has been openly skeptical of Alvarez’s explanation, again rubbished the Mexican’s version of events after the two fighters arrived in Las Vegas on Tuesday for fight week.

“I don’t believe it was beef,” Golovkin said. “I don’t believe his stories about contaminated meat. Experts in pharmaceuticals determined that it was doping not contaminated meat,” he added through an interpreter.

“These stories about contaminated meat are nonsense.”

‘Injection marks’

Golovkin said he had been shown photos of Alvarez in which he claimed needle marks were visible.

“You couldn’t deny there was some injection marks on his hands and his arms. Injection marks were evidently there,” the WBA, WBC and IBO middleweight title holder said.

“Everywhere, biceps, stomach, pretty much all over his body you could see injection marks. But right now it’s the last thing I’m worried about. I’m worried about the fight.”

Golovkin, 36, said the doping scandal had soured relations between the two fighters, which had been cordial in the immediate aftermath of their first meeting.

“After the first fight I remember saying to him ‘Thank you for the fight, great fight’. He said the same. It was all very friendly,” Golovkin said. “But after the doping scandal, it was terrible.”

Alvarez, 28, meanwhile dismissed Golovkin’s allegation of doping.

“Those are the kicks and screams of someone who is drowning. Those are the excuses that they are making because of what is coming on Saturday, which is a loss for them,” Alvarez said.

“I’ve been monitored for most of my career, I’ve been monitored by VADA [Voluntary Anti-Doping Association] since 2011 and that’s why they have authorities,” Alvarez said.

“I spend all my time in Mexico – that’s where I reside, where I live and where I spend time with my family. When I come to train, I come and do it in San Diego.

“It’s different in the United States where [meat] is checked by the authorities and the government. It’s a little bit different in Mexico where they don’t have those sanctions and checks.

“When I was in Mexico I wasn’t on a diet, I wasn’t training, I wasn’t on some eating plan so may have eaten it a few times a week. In Mexico, unfortunately, I now have to stop doing that because of what happened.”

While Golovkin has insisted that this weekend’s bout is “business, not personal”, Alvarez admitted the questioning of his integrity had got under his skin.

“I’m bothered by all the stupid things they’ve been saying and I’ve been using it as motivation in my training for this fight,” said Alvarez. “Maybe they said it to get me mad, and you know what, they did it. I’m angry, but I’m going to use it my favor for this fight.

“After the first fight, I saw the errors I made, and what I have to do. I made a complete, radical change and you’re going to see that this Saturday.”

MOST VIEWED

  • Ministry requests school opening

    The Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport on Thursday said it would request a decision from Prime Minister Hun Sen to allow a small number of schools to reopen next month. Ministry spokesman Ros Soveacha said if the request is granted, higher-standard schools will reopen

  • Kingdom eyes India FTA, China deal set for August

    Cambodia is studying the possibility of establishing a bilateral free trade agreement (FTA) with India to open a new market with the second-largest regional economy. This comes as an FTA with China is scheduled to be signed next month while similar negotiations with South Korea

  • Judge lands in court after crashing into alleged thief

    Sen Sok district police on Thursday sent a Koh Kong Provincial Court judge to the Phnom Penh Municipal Court on manslaughter charges after he crashed his car into a woman riding a motorbike on Wednesday, killing her. District police chief Hour Meng Vang told The

  • Preah Vihear court drops charges against villagers

    The Preah Vihear Provincial Court has dropped all charges against eight ethnic Kuoy villagers who were in a land dispute with the Hengfu Group Sugar Industry Co Ltd since 2014. Wednesday’s decision was made by the judge who tried the case on June 10. The eight

  • Gov’t to boost Siem Reap tourism

    The Ministry of Tourism released the results of an inter-ministerial committee meeting concerning Siem Reap province’s Tourism Development Master Plan for 2020-2035 on Wednesday, revealing the government’s plan to improve the overall tourist landscape there. The meeting was attended by Minister of Tourism

  • Residents ordered to remove structures on Phnom Penh’s canal

    Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng has ordered authorities to act against the perpetrators who built houses along the Luo 5 canal in Meanchey district. The municipal administration plans to create a committee to solve the matter. The order was given on Wednesday while Sreng led

  • ‘On the offensive’: Cambodia to load up on loans to stimulate economy

    As the dust settles on the economy, Cambodia comes to grips with what needs to be done to turn the economy around, starting with a big shopping list for credit ‘We are going on the offensive,” Vongsey Vissoth, Ministry of Economy and Finance permanent secretary

  • Eighty replacement peacekeepers set for Mali mission despite Covid

    Eighty Cambodian blue helmet soldiers who completed the peacekeeping mission under the UN umbrella in Mali will return to Cambodia on Friday, said the Centre for Peacekeeping Forces spokeswoman Kosal Malida. “To protect their families and communities from the Covid-19 pandemic, the 80 are required to

  • Government set to make up for cancelled April holiday

    The government is set to make up for a five-day Khmer New Year holiday late this month or early next month. The holiday was earlier cancelled due to the onset of Covid-19. The announcement is expected on Friday as the government is studying a range

  • Families told to register for cash handouts

    The government has called on poor families to apply to commune authorities for evaluation to receive financial support during the Covid-19 crisis. A $300 million budget has been planned for implementation within a year. Ministry of Economy and Finance secretary of state Vongsey Visoth said this