Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Groves warns ‘ignorant’ Eubank Jr ahead of world title fight



Groves warns ‘ignorant’ Eubank Jr ahead of world title fight

Groves warns ‘ignorant’ Eubank Jr ahead of world title fight

WBA super-middleweight champion George Groves has warned Chris Eubank Jnr that a lack of professionalism is setting him up for failure ahead of Saturday’s title fight in Manchester.

Groves, 29, defends his title against fellow British fighter Eubank Jr in their World Boxing Super Series semifinal at the Manchester Arena on Saturday – Groves’s highest-profile bout since two defeats against Carl Froch in 2013 and 2014.

Eubank Jr, the son of former middleweight and super-middleweight champion Chris Eubank, makes little secret of the fact he does not work with a traditional trainer or training set-up and, similarly to Groves before he fought Froch, has regularly promoted himself on social media.

Since this weekend’s fight was confirmed the champion has maintained a significantly lower profile, and he said of Eubank Jr: “He is that ignorant he thinks he can do it himself. ‘The cornermen give me water: I do the rest, I train myself, I know what I’m doing.’

“It doesn’t work – the greatest fighters in the world have a great team or trainer around them just to nudge them in the right direction. The dad is supposed to be that, but it’s the blind leading the blind. He doesn’t know what he’s doing, especially the dad. He’s lost his grip on reality.

“I thought he might take himself off to Vegas and do a camp out there, work with some sort of decent trainer – you’d definitely be getting good sparring. But he hasn’t – he’s decided to come back home, train himself, spar anyone he can get hold of.

“He’s got success through putting out videos, and attaching himself to big names and not having a real fight. The difference here is he’s in a real fight.”

“I remember thinking Eubank Jr’s got the right ingredients,” Groves added. “He’s got the right attitude, he’s tough – he’d get bashed up in sparring but be there again the next day ready – and ambitious.

“Now he’s gone so far the other way, the bad habits are permanently ingrained in him from doing so much casual work from hitting bags and pads.”

Almost four years have passed since Groves lost his rematch with Froch and suffered what he called the “fall from grace” from which he had to rebuild his reputation.

“Jr might be looking beyond this fight, like I did,” he said.

“I definitely looked beyond the Froch rematch – not because I thought it was a foregone conclusion, but I was supremely confident that I was going to do the job. I’d done a bit too much PR in the build-up, which was taxing, and come fight night I’d obviously got it wrong.

“It was a whirlwind. It was draining, it was taxing.

“It’s who’s better on the night, and have you prepared correctly? This is about who’s better – and he’s not.”

MOST VIEWED

  • Hun Sen: Full country reopening to be decided in two weeks

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has announced that if the Covid-19 situation remains stable for 15 consecutive days from the end of the October 5-7 Pchum Ben public holiday, Cambodia will reopen fully, albeit in the context of Covid-19 whereby people have to adjust their lives to

  • Cambodia sets new Covid-19 quarantine rules

    The government has modified Covid-19 quarantine requirements, shortening the duration for, among others, Cambodian officials, foreign diplomats and delegations, investors and inbound travellers in general. According to an official notice signed by Minister of Health Mam Bun Heng late on October 16, quarantine length for Cambodian

  • Will Evergrande change the way Chinese developers do business in Cambodia?

    China’s property sector policy has exposed the grim financial condition of real estate developers including those operating in Cambodia, which raises questions over the viability of their projects and business going forward The dark blue netting draping over one of Yuetai Group Co Ltd’

  • Phnom Penh governor: Show Covid-19 vaccination cards, or else

    Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng late on October 5 issued a directive requiring all people aged 18 and over and the parents of children aged 6-17 to produce Covid-19 vaccination cards when entering schools, markets, malls, marts, eateries and other business establishments that have been permitted

  • Cambodia seeks probe into 'false reports' on Hun Sen's alleged Cypriot passport

    Minister of Justice Koeut Rith on September 6 wrote a letter to his Cypriot counterpart Stephie Dracos requesting cooperation in investigating and providing the truth in relation to the "exaggerative and false allegations" that Prime Minister Hun Sen holds a Cypriot passport. In his letter, the

  • Cambodia unveils new quarantine regulations

    The government has modified Covid-19 quarantine requirements, shortening the duration for, among others, Cambodian officials, foreign diplomats and delegations, investors and inbound travellers in general. According to an official notice signed by Minister of Health Mam Bun Heng late on October 16, quarantine length for Cambodian