Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Hamilton accuses Vettel of breaking the rules



Hamilton accuses Vettel of breaking the rules

Mercedes driver Lewis Hamilton gestures on the podium after winning the Azerbaijan Grand Prix at the Baku city circuit on Sunday. AFP
Mercedes driver Lewis Hamilton gestures on the podium after winning the Azerbaijan Grand Prix at the Baku city circuit on Sunday. AFP

Hamilton accuses Vettel of breaking the rules

Lewis Hamilton reopened old wounds on Monday when the Mercedes driver accused title rival Sebastian Vettel of breaking the rules during Sunday’s Azerbaijan Grand Prix.

Hamilton repeated his complaint made during Sunday’s race when he accused the German Ferrari driver of slowing and accelerating, almost stopping and then restarting, while they followed the safety car.

“The rules are that when the safety car goes, you’re not allowed to start and stop, start and stop,” he said. “You’re not allowed to gas and then brake. You’re not allowed to fake the guy behind.

“Because, naturally, if there was not that rule, that’s what you’d do – because, eventually, you’d catch them sleeping. You’re not allowed to do that.

“Every restart I’ve done . . . I’ve abided by tha . . . In Australia, Sebastian accelerated and then braked and I nearly went up the back end of him and here he did it like maybe four times.”

Hamilton’s unexpected victory, his first in seven outings and the 63rd of his career, lifted him to the top of the championship for the first time this season, but left him seeking clarification on the rules from official race director Charlie Whiting.

Mercedes' British driver Lewis Hamilton takes the chequered flag to win the Formula One Azerbaijan Grand Prix. AFP
Mercedes' British driver Lewis Hamilton takes the chequered flag to win the Formula One Azerbaijan Grand Prix. AFP

It also revived memories of the pair’s notorious clash last year when, in a fit of road rage after accusing Hamilton of “brake-testing” him behind a safety car, Vettel drove his Ferrari at Hamilton’s Mercedes, banging wheels deliberately.

Hamilton added that the stewards’ decision following Sunday’s race had set a precedent that permitted erratic driving behind the safety car in future.

Hamilton on Monday also admitted he had been lucky after taking the drivers’ championship lead with his opportunistic victory in Sunday’s chaotic crash-strewn Azerbaijan Grand Prix.

There were no whoops of delight and no celebrations following his first win in seven races dating back to last October, but a serious realisation that he and his Mercedes team have their work cut out to stay on top.

On a day of gusty wind, unlikely accidents, abandoned debris interventions and two safety cars, the defending four-time world champion had struggled for pace, but avoided serious trouble.

“I remember my dad always told me: ‘Never give up, always keep going, ‘” he said afterwards as others wept and argued. “I never expected it, but I had to take it.

“Valtteri deserved to win. That’s why I went to see him and console him straight after the race. He was so unfortunate.”

‘I was lucky’

It was Hamilton’s 63rd victory and curiously confirmed that he is not racing with the same raw elan as his youth, but with a more measured sense of craft and aplomb – a mixture that may be less spectacular, but could assist him more in gathering the points for a fifth title.

As the teams packed up to return to Europe and the Spanish Grand Prix on May 13, it was clear to Mercedes that they need to find an upgrade for their car that makes the tyres work faster.

“We’ve got a lot of work to do, definitely,” said Hamilton.

“We are still behind. Today I was lucky. I struggled all weekend and I am struggling to find the car’s potential. Their pure pace is ahead of ours at the moment.

“There were a lot of faults in the race, which is rare for me. I struggled with the car, struggled with the tyres.

“I’ve definitely got to go away from here and work even harder to make sure that there’s not a repeat performance-wise of this weekend.”

“The biggest issue is the tyres,” he added. “I don’t believe their car is much better than ours, if at all, it’s just that they are using their tyres better.”

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Businesses in capital told to get travel permit amid lockdown through One Window Service

    The Phnom Penh Municipal Administration has issued guidelines on how to get travel permission for priority groups during the lockdown of Phnom Penh, directing private institutions to apply through the municipality's One Window Service and limit their staff to a mere two per cent. In

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Ministry names types of business permitted amid lockdown

    The Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training singled out 11 types of business that are permitted to operate during the lockdown of Phnom Penh and Takmao town, which run through April 28. Those include (1) food-processing enterprises and slaughterhouses; (2) providers of public services such as firefighting, utility and