Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Holder happy Gayle playing in World Cup qualifiers



Holder happy Gayle playing in World Cup qualifiers

Chris Gayle bats during the third one-day international between New Zealand and the West Indies at Hagley Oval in Christchurch on December 26. AFP
Chris Gayle bats during the third one-day international between New Zealand and the West Indies at Hagley Oval in Christchurch on December 26. AFP

Holder happy Gayle playing in World Cup qualifiers

West Indies captain Jason Holder on Monday praised star batsmen Chris Gayle and Marlon Samuels for making themselves available for the upcoming 2019 World Cup qualifying tournament in Zimbabwe.

The two-time World Cup winners failed to automatically reach next year’s tournament in England and Wales after slipping outside the top eight in the world one-day international rankings, leaving them to fight it out with cricket’s lesser names for one of the last two spots.

The 26-year-old Holder has experienced pair Gayle and Samuels at his disposal, despite the decisions of other key players Darren Bravo, Sunil Narine, Andre Russell and Kieron Pollard to skip the qualifiers to play in the lucrative Pakistan T20 Super League.

“I must commend Chris and Marlon, who have come here with the motivation to do well for the Windies and give themselves a chance to play another World Cup,” said Holder ahead of his team’s first Group A game against the United Arab Emirates on March 6.

“We’ve got a well-balanced side, quality side with experience. Hopefully, we could gel together and make things happen in this tournament.

“As I said to the group, it may be an opportunity for guys to finish their careers well, it’s also an opportunity for guys to make a spark in their careers by playing in the World Cup.”

The Caribbean outfit, who won the first two World Cup tournaments in 1975 and 1979, also face Papua New Guinea, Netherlands and Ireland in the group stage, with the top three sides to progress to the Super Six.

Khan set to lead Afghanistan

Holder, though, already has one eye on lifting the title next year and becoming only the second three-time world champions.

“We know what is at stake,” he said. “It is an opportunity for us to grab some momentum heading into next year’s World Cup, get some games under our belt, just finalise some combinations, get things straightened, and hopefully turn [around] our cricket in terms of the ODI format.”

Teenage leg-spin sensation Rashid Khan is set to lead Afghanistan for at least the early part of their campaign after usual captain Asghar Stanikzai underwent emergency surgery to have his appendix removed on Monday.

The 19-year-old Khan, who was bought for $1.41 million by Sunrisers Hyderabad in last month’s IPL auction, is the world number one bowler in ODIs and closing in on becoming the fastest-ever to reach 100 wickets.

Afghanistan’s 4-1 series victory over Zimbabwe earlier this month sees them as favourites to qualify alongside West Indies.

“It feels good to see that Afghanistan is a favourite to qualify,” said Khan.

“I think we should show it on the ground, it’s not only on paper that we should look good.

“We have to take every match seriously. We have to play good cricket against every team. Hopefully it will go well and we will get four points and go to the next round.”

Afghanistan are set to open their campaign against Scotland in Bulawayo on Sunday, ahead of further Group B matches with Nepal, Hong Kong and Zimbabwe.

The tournament runs from Sunday to March 25, with the two qualifiers to be decided by the end of the Super Six round on March 23

MOST VIEWED

  • Locations shut, dozens more Covid-19 positive

    The Ministry of Health has closed 23 locations in connection with the February 20 community transmission of Covid-19 and summoned for testing anyone who had direct contact with affected people and places. The number of discovered related infections has risen to 76, including 39 women. In a press release,

  • Kingdom's Covid cluster cases jump to 194

    The Ministry of Health on February 25 confirmed 65 new cases of Covid-19, with 58 linked to the February 20 community transmission. The latest cluster cases include nine Vietnamese nationals, five Cambodians, one each from Korea, Singapore and Japan, with the rest being Chinese. This brings the total number

  • Cambodia's Covid cluster cases rise to 137

    The Ministry of Health on February 24 recorded 40 more cases of Covid-19, with 38 linked to the February 20 community transmission. Of the 40, two are imported cases involving Chinese passengers. The 38 include two Vietnamese nationals and one Cambodian, with the rest being Chinese. This brings the total cases

  • Covid cluster raises alarm, health bodies urge vigilance

    The Ministry of Health and the World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia have expressed great concern over the February 20 cluster transmission of Covid-19 in the community. Both entities appealed for vigilance and cooperation in curbing further spread of the virus. Ministry spokeswoman Or Vandine said

  • PM confirms third Covid-19 community transmission

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on February 20 announced the Kingdom's third outbreak of Covid-19 community transmission after 32 people tested positive in just over 10 hours. Addressing the public from his residence after an emergency meeting, Hun Sen said: "I dub it February 20 Community Event, in which 32 cases

  • Cambodia to make auto-rickshaws

    Locally-assembled electric auto-rickshaws could hit the Cambodian market as soon as early in May after the Council for the Development of Cambodia (CDC) gave the greenlight to an investment project at the weekend. According to a CDC press release, it will issue a final registration