Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Honda says Victory stopped him retiring




Honda says Victory stopped him retiring

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Japanese football star Keisuke Honda poses for a photo on Wednesday after signing for Australia’s Melbourne Victory. AFP

Honda says Victory stopped him retiring

New Cambodia head coach and Japanese superstar Keisuke Honda revealed on Wednesday that he planned to retire after the World Cup but decided to keep playing after being inspired by Melbourne Victory coach Kevin Muscat.

The former AC Milan striker, one of the highest profile names in Asian football, has signed for the reigning A-League champions for the 2018-19 season.

“I was thinking to quit my career after the World Cup, but lucky this club made me a great offer that changed my mind,” he said at his welcome press conference, which was packed with Japanese media.

“I changed my mind after I spoke to Kevin directly.

“He said to me he really wants to succeed as a club . . . he’s an ambitious person and I’m an ambitious person as well, so I was inspired by him. That was a big meeting for me.

“I’m excited. I’m so glad I can try a new challenge in my career.”

The talismanic 32-year-old, who retired from international football after Japan’s heartbreaking World Cup in Russia, had been a free agent since departing Mexican club Pachuca.

Honda shot to fame at the 2010 World Cup in South Africa when his goals helped Japan reach the last 16. He netted 37 times in 98 appearances for his country and was the first Japanese player to score at three World Cups – 2010, 2014 and 2018.

Instantly recognisable with his spiky, bleach-blond hair, he spent four seasons at AC Milan and has also played for VVV-Venlo in Holland and CSKA Moscow.

He will juggle his stint in Melbourne with duties as general manager of Cambodia’s struggling national team, after he was unveiled in that role at the weekend.

Honda plans to speak regularly with the Cambodian players by videoconference and spend as much time there as possible around the Australian football season.

Muscat was adamant it won’t compromise his commitment to the Victory.

“The long and the short of it is that first and foremost his priorities are here with Melbourne Victory and the situation will no way compromise any of our games or training,” Muscat said.

“Keisuke is a very humble and giving person, and he’s got an opportunity to give something back and that’s why he’s taken on what he has [in Cambodia].”

In July, Honda teamed up with Hollywood movie star Will Smith to launch a venture capital fund aimed at helping “people in disadvantaged environments”

MOST VIEWED

  • Body of woman killed in Bangkok returns

    The Cambodian embassy in Thailand is working to repatriate the body of a casino dealer who was shot dead in Bangkok on Monday night. Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation spokesman Kuy Kuong told The Post on Wednesday that officials are preparing paperwork to

  • Chikungunya hits 15 provinces, says gov’t

    Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said on Thursday that the chikungunya outbreak in the Kingdom has spread to 15 provinces. Some 1,700 people are now suspected to have the disease. Vandine urged people to prevent its further spread by eliminating shelters for the Aedes aegypti mosquitoes

  • Gov’t exempts visa A and B holders from Covid fees

    Airline passengers who are diplomats and officials of international organisations holding Type A and B visas for travel to Cambodia are exempted from paying Covid-19 testing fees, said the Ministry of Health in its latest adjustment of rules on Wednesday. Health Minister Mam Bun Heng

  • Police arrest 29 Chinese for kidnapping in capital

    Phnom Penh Military Police arrested 29 Chinese nationals on kidnapping charges on Wednesday. The suspects are said to have abducted three other Chinese nationals from a hotel in Chaktomuk commune, Daun Penh district. The operation took place on Wednesday and was led by two deputy commanders –

  • Bill covering dress code draws ire

    Ministry of Interior secretary of state Ouk Kim Lek responded on Tuesday to criticism concerning a draft law that would ban women from wearing overly revealing clothing, saying that input from all parties will be considered as the law moves through the promulgation process. Several

  • What’s the deal with Cambodia and China’s FTA?

    Cambodia’s Free Trade Agreement (FTA) with China kicks off a series of FTAs in future but for now, critics wonder what else the parties could bring to the table apart from what it already has to date By the end of this year, Cambodia