Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - ‘Intruders’ break into Benzema’s home during Madrid game



‘Intruders’ break into Benzema’s home during Madrid game

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Karim Benzema. AFP

‘Intruders’ break into Benzema’s home during Madrid game

Karim Benzema’s house was broken into on Sunday while the French striker was playing for Real Madrid against Elche, police sources told AFP on Monday.

Benzema, who missed a penalty and then went off injured at the Santiago Bernabeu, returned to find his house “in a complete mess”, although it is not yet known what has been stolen.

“The player realised what happened when he got home after the match and found the whole house in a complete mess,” sources said.

Benzema lives in the town of San Sebastian de los Reyes, just north of Madrid.

The intruders are believed to have jumped the fence outside the house before entering after breaking a window.

The 34-year-old is the latest footballer in Spain to have his house broken into while playing a match, despite police efforts to clamp down on the problem in recent years.

Police in Spain announced in 2019 they had successfully uncovered a network of burglars that specifically planned operations on footballers playing for Atletico Madrid and Real Madrid.

Real Madrid midfielder Casemiro and Atletico’s Thomas Partey, now of Arsenal, were among those targetted.

Benzema had to be substituted in the second half of Real Madrid’s 2-2 draw against Elche, with what appeared to be a hamstring injury. He will undergo further tests on Monday, the club have said.

The forward had also missed a penalty in the first half, which was his first miss from the spot for Madrid in 17 attempts.

MOST VIEWED

  • Hun Sen: Stop Russia sanctions

    Prime Minister Hun Sen said sanctions against Russia as a result of its military offensive in Ukraine should be stopped as they have produced no tangible results, and predicted that a global food crisis would ensue in 2023 as a consequence. Speaking to an audience at

  • Chinese tourists 2.0 – Coming anytime soon?

    Regional tourism is grappling with the absence of the prolific travellers and big spenders – the Chinese tourists. Cambodia, which has welcomed over two million Chinese tourists before Covid-19, is reeling from the economic loss despite being the first to fully open last November ‘To put

  • PM reflects on shoe throwing: Free speech or act of violence?

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on May 17 questioned whether a man who threw a shoe at him while he was in the US was exercising freedom of expression or if it was an act of hostility. Hun Sen was referring to an incident last week when

  • Siem Reap’s Angkor Botanical Garden opens

    The Angkor Botanical Garden was officially opened on May 19 with free entry for both local and international visitors for the first six weeks. The garden was established on a nearly 15ha plot of land in Siem Reap. “After the first six weeks, Angkor Botanical Garden

  • Pub Street on the cards for Battambang

    The Battambang Provincial Authority has announced that it is considering establishing a Pub Street in the area around the heritage buildings in Battambang town in a bid to attract more tourists. Battambang provincial governor Sok Lou told The Post that the establishment of a Pub

  • Hun Sen: Don’t react to hostility

    Prime Minister Hun Sen urged tolerance and thanked members of the Cambodian diaspora for not reacting to the hostility on display towards him by others while he was in the US to attend the May 12-13 ASEAN-US Special Summit in Washington, DC. In an audio