Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Italy Rugby names South Africa’s Franco Smith as new head coach




Italy Rugby names South Africa’s Franco Smith as new head coach

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
South Africa’s Franco Smith, 47, will guide the Italian national team. AFP

Italy Rugby names South Africa’s Franco Smith as new head coach

South African Franco Smith has been confirmed as head coach of Italy’s rugby team, the Italian rugby federation (FIR) announced on Saturday.

Smith, 47, took over on an interim basis in November after predecessor Conor O’Shea resigned despite his contract running through to the end of last month.

Smith will be supported by assistant coach Marius Goosen, with Giampiero De Carli in charge of forwards, Alessandro Troncon overseeing the backs, and Quintin Kruger and Giovanni Sanguin coordinating physical preparation.

No details of Smith’s contract were revealed but it will reportedly run until after the 2023 World Cup in France.

The FIR said a news conference will be held next week via video link.

Italy have lost all three games since former South African international Smith took over, all in the Six Nations, which was suspended because of the coronavirus pandemic.

Italy were hammered 42-0 by Wales in Cardiff, lost to Scotland 17-0 in Rome and fell 35-22 to France in Paris.

Smith coached Italian team Treviso for six years between 2007 and 2013 before taking over as coach of South African side the Cheetahs in 2015.

He was also assistant coach of South Africa under Allister Coetzee in 2017.

Irishman O’Shea took over as Azzurri coach in 2016 and led them into the World Cup where they failed to progress past the pool stage.

MOST VIEWED

  • Without shoes or a helmet, a young cyclist steals the show

    Pech Theara gripped the curved handlebars of his rusty old bike, planted his bare feet on its pedals and stormed as fast as he could towards the finish line. The odds were against him as the 13-year-old faced off against kids with nicer bikes at

  • Phnom Penh-Sihanoukville expressway on schedule

    The construction of the more than $1.9 billion Phnom Penh-Sihanoukville Expressway has not been delayed despite the Covid-19 pandemic, with more than 26 per cent of the project completed and expected to finish in about two years, according to Ministry of Public Works and Transport secretary of

  • Over 110 garment factories close

    A government official said on November 22 that at least 110 garment factories had closed in the first nine months of the year and left more than 55,000 workers without jobs – but union leaders worry those numbers could be much higher. Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training undersecretary

  • Singapore group seeks $14M in damages from PPSP over ‘breach of contract’

    Singapore-based Asiatic Group (Holdings) Ltd is seeking a minimum of $14.4 million relief from Cambodia Securities Exchange (CSX)-listed Phnom Penh Special Economic Zone Plc (PPSP) for allegedly breaching a power plant joint venture (JV) agreement. Asiatic Group’s wholly-owned Colben System Pte Ltd and 95 per

  • PM vows to protect Hun family

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has vowed to continue his fight against opposition politicians who he said intend to smash the Hun family. Without naming the politicians but apparently referring to former leaders of the Supreme Court-dissolved Cambodia National Rescue Party (CNRP), Hun Sen said there

  • Cambodia lauded for fight against Covid-19

    Cambodia has drawn global accolades for its handling of the Covid-19 pandemic, with a new report finding that the Kingdom has controlled the pandemic better than any other country in Asia. Dr Takeshi Kasai, director of the World Health Organisation’s (WHO) Western Pacific region,