Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Japan sumo body to allow fans for July tournament




Japan sumo body to allow fans for July tournament

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Fans attending the tournament will be asked to wear masks, avoid shouting and ‘refrain from shaking hands with rikishi’ or sumo wrestlers. STR/AFP

Japan sumo body to allow fans for July tournament

Japan's sumo association said Monday it would allow fans to watch its July tournament at a Tokyo arena despite a recent spike in coronavirus cases in the capital.

About 2,500 spectators a day, or 25 per cent of the indoor facility’s capacity, will be allowed to attend the 15-day tournament, which has been delayed until July 19 by the outbreak, the sport’s governing body said on its website.

It will be the first “basho” or tournament of the ancient sport with spectators since January. There are usually six tournaments across Japan each year.

The May tourney was cancelled following one behind closed doors with some rituals amended, including the traditional ladle of water that a winning wrestler offers to the next in the ring.

In May, a 28-year-old sumo wrestler died after contracting coronavirus, becoming the sport’s first Covid-19 fatality.

The association had originally planned to organise the upcoming tournament without spectators but has decided to admit fans “by thoroughly taking measures to prevent infections inside the facility.”

Under its guidelines, fans will be asked to wear masks, avoid shouting and “refrain from shaking hands with rikishi” or sumo wrestlers.

The decision came after a fresh surge in coronavirus cases in Tokyo, where the number of new infections reached a single-day record of 243 last week.

The government has lifted a national state of emergency imposed to contain the virus, but the public are still urged to observe good hygiene practices and social distancing.

The pandemic has already forced a one-year delay to the summer Tokyo Olympics, and suspended everything from sumo to the summer high-school baseball tournament – an enormously popular event that receives extensive television coverage.

Since last week, however, a limited number of spectators have been allowed in stadiums for professional baseball and football league matches.

MOST VIEWED

  • Body of woman killed in Bangkok returns

    The Cambodian embassy in Thailand is working to repatriate the body of a casino dealer who was shot dead in Bangkok on Monday night. Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation spokesman Kuy Kuong told The Post on Wednesday that officials are preparing paperwork to

  • Chikungunya hits 15 provinces, says gov’t

    Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said on Thursday that the chikungunya outbreak in the Kingdom has spread to 15 provinces. Some 1,700 people are now suspected to have the disease. Vandine urged people to prevent its further spread by eliminating shelters for the Aedes aegypti mosquitoes

  • Gov’t exempts visa A and B holders from Covid fees

    Airline passengers who are diplomats and officials of international organisations holding Type A and B visas for travel to Cambodia are exempted from paying Covid-19 testing fees, said the Ministry of Health in its latest adjustment of rules on Wednesday. Health Minister Mam Bun Heng

  • Bill covering dress code draws ire

    Ministry of Interior secretary of state Ouk Kim Lek responded on Tuesday to criticism concerning a draft law that would ban women from wearing overly revealing clothing, saying that input from all parties will be considered as the law moves through the promulgation process. Several

  • What’s the deal with Cambodia and China’s FTA?

    Cambodia’s Free Trade Agreement (FTA) with China kicks off a series of FTAs in future but for now, critics wonder what else the parties could bring to the table apart from what it already has to date By the end of this year, Cambodia

  • Police arrest 29 Chinese for PP kidnapping

    Phnom Penh Military Police arrested 29 Chinese nationals on kidnapping charges on Wednesday. The suspects are said to have abducted three other Chinese nationals from a hotel in Chaktomuk commune, Daun Penh district. The operation took place on Wednesday and was led by two deputy commanders –