Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Johor cut down Boeung Ket 3-0 in AFC Cup



Johor cut down Boeung Ket 3-0 in AFC Cup

Johor cut down Boeung Ket 3-0 in AFC Cup

MalaysiaN Super League title-holders Johor Darul Ta’zim once again asserted their superiority over Boeung Ket Angkor in their AFC Cup Group F encounter, beating the Cambodian league champions 3-0 at the Olympic Stadium yesterday evening to follow up on their home triumph by the same margin back in February.

The victory bolstered Johor’s chances of catching up with group leaders Global FC of the Philippines, who maintained their steady form with a from-behind 4-2 away win over Magwe FC of Myanmar earlier in the day.

The Malaysian side trail Global by two points in the fight to reach the zonal semifinals from the group.

Boeung Ket paid a heavy price for sloppy defensive work, including that of keeper Sou Yaty, who twice charged out more with courage than conviction within the first 30 minutes and ended up presenting open goals.

Though Yaty saved a penalty moments before the break, the weight of the Johor lead gradually dragged the Cambodian side down, leading to a late goal in the second session that made the scoreline look rather more impressive than the Blue Dragon deserved.

Misfortune struck Boeung Ket early on when Safawi Rasid worked his way into the box and side-stepped an onrushing Yaty to open the scoring.

Yaty was again out of position when his attempt to clear the ball away resulted in Nazmi Faiz cleverly playing it over the heads of two defenders into an open goal.

When Sovanarithy clumsily tackled Azamuddin and brought him down to concede a penalty, Boeung Ket were looking in trouble. But Sou Yaty dived to his right to divert the ball away for a corner.

There was change in Boeung Ket’s approach in the second session as they not only kept Johor quiet but also created a few flutters of their own.

Khoun Laboravy, Tomoki Muramutsu and Maycon Maycon Calijuri all had chances without success.

But moments away from the end, Johor’s Argentine import Gabriel Guerra signed off in style with the side’s third.

MOST VIEWED

  • No payment required for travellers taking rapid Covid tests on arrival

    Ministry of Health officials said there would be no payment required for the rapid Covid-19 tests given to travellers who arrive in Cambodia from November 15 onwards after the quarantine requirement is lifted for fully vaccinated people. Health ministry spokeswoman Or Vandine told The Post on

  • General’s gun smuggling ring busted

    The Military Police sent six military officers to court on November 22 to face prosecution for possession of 105 illegal rifles and arms smuggling, while investigators say they are still hunting down additional accomplices. Sao Sokha, deputy commander of the Royal Cambodian Armed Forces and commander of

  • More Cambodians studying in US

    The number of Cambodian students studying at US colleges and universities in 2020-21 increased by 14.3 per cent over the previous year despite the Covid-19 pandemic, according to a recent US government report. The 2021 Open Doors report on International Educational Exchange showed that 848 Cambodian students studied

  • Cambodia, Thailand to discuss border reopening

    Cambodian authorities from provinces along the Cambodia-Thailand border will meet with Thai counterparts to discuss reopening border checkpoints to facilitate travel, transfer of products and cross-border trade between the two countries. Banteay Meanchey provincial deputy governor Ly Sary said on November 22 that the provincial administration

  • Prince Norodom Ranariddh passes away at 77

    Prince Norodom Ranariddh, the second son of the late King Father Norodom Sihanouk and former First Prime Minister of Cambodia, has passed away in France at the age of 77. “Samdech Krom Preah Norodom Ranariddh has passed away this morning in France just after 9am Paris-time,”

  • Police arrest Canadian with 167kg of drugs

    The Phnom Penh Municipal Court on November 15 placed a Canadian national in pre-trial detention in connection with smuggling and possessing 167kg of illegal drugs. Deputy National Police chief in charge of anti-drug enforcement Mak Chito told The Post on November 15 that the man was arrested