Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Joshua plots to subdue dangerous Povetkin



Joshua plots to subdue dangerous Povetkin

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
WBA, WBO and IBF world heavyweight champion Anthony Joshua. AFP

Joshua plots to subdue dangerous Povetkin

Anthony Joshua admits he will have to subdue the power of Alexander Povetkin as the world heavyweight champion prepares for a tough test against the Russian this weekend.

Joshua, the WBA, WBO and IBF champion, faces Povetkin at Wembley on Saturday.

The 39-year-old has only been beaten once in his career, a loss to Wladimir Klitschko in 2013, and boasts 24 knockouts from his 34 wins.

Assuming Joshua comes through unscathed all eyes will be on a potential bout to unify the division against WBC title holder Deontay Wilder.

But Joshua, 28, is not getting ahead of himself because he knows the threat posed by Povetkin.

“In the heavyweight division not only are they talented but one punch changes the course of the fight. We all know that story,” he said.

“He’s got that punching power, he’s got big knockouts on his record, so it’s down to me to handle business accordingly.

“He’s a threat with the left hook, but not only that, it’s how tough they are, how much do they want it?

“He could have the best left hook in the world but if I keep punching him and breaking him down it might stop him from doing that, so these attributes need to get shut down early.

“I’ve got to annihilate that from early on. He’s got a lot in his locker so I need to take control early. The last time at Wembley was against Klitschko, and I think Povetkin is the right opponent to bring that style of fight out of me. It’s all about the ‘W’[win].”

MOST VIEWED

  • Hun Sen: Stop Russia sanctions

    Prime Minister Hun Sen said sanctions against Russia as a result of its military offensive in Ukraine should be stopped as they have produced no tangible results, and predicted that a global food crisis would ensue in 2023 as a consequence. Speaking to an audience at

  • Chinese tourists 2.0 – Coming anytime soon?

    Regional tourism is grappling with the absence of the prolific travellers and big spenders – the Chinese tourists. Cambodia, which has welcomed over two million Chinese tourists before Covid-19, is reeling from the economic loss despite being the first to fully open last November ‘To put

  • PM reflects on shoe throwing: Free speech or act of violence?

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on May 17 questioned whether a man who threw a shoe at him while he was in the US was exercising freedom of expression or if it was an act of hostility. Hun Sen was referring to an incident last week when

  • Siem Reap’s Angkor Botanical Garden opens

    The Angkor Botanical Garden was officially opened on May 19 with free entry for both local and international visitors for the first six weeks. The garden was established on a nearly 15ha plot of land in Siem Reap. “After the first six weeks, Angkor Botanical Garden

  • Pub Street on the cards for Battambang

    The Battambang Provincial Authority has announced that it is considering establishing a Pub Street in the area around the heritage buildings in Battambang town in a bid to attract more tourists. Battambang provincial governor Sok Lou told The Post that the establishment of a Pub

  • Hun Sen: Don’t react to hostility

    Prime Minister Hun Sen urged tolerance and thanked members of the Cambodian diaspora for not reacting to the hostility on display towards him by others while he was in the US to attend the May 12-13 ASEAN-US Special Summit in Washington, DC. In an audio