Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Justine ‘shattered’ over finals ban




Justine ‘shattered’ over finals ban

Justine ‘shattered’ over finals ban

THE pain of missing the chance to play in Saturday’s Metfone C-League final is almost too much to bear for Phnom Penh Crown’s Uche Prince Justine.

“Physically I am here but psychologically I feel shattered that the one glorious moment I was working for all these five months had been snatched away from me,” said the prolific Nigerian striker during a training session with his team on Wednesday.

Last season’s goalscoring supremo was hit with a one-match suspension after picking up a second yellow card in as many games during Crown’s 4-2 victory over Naga in the semifinals last week. The ban will see him ruled out of the one match he didn’t want to miss.

“That is how harsh life and football can be,” said Justin. “I must say that I knew the moment it happened it was a bookable offence. But I did not do it deliberately as the referee tended to believe. I was pushed from behind by someone, lost my balance and fell on this Naga player. But
unfortunately the referee caught sight of me falling over the player and missed what happened before that.

“An injury related miss is something, but this really hurts,” he added. “Anyway, you have to face the facts. I wish things turn out well for the side on Saturday.”

The nippy striker, who tops the goal scoring chart for Crown this year with 16 goals, had confidence in the man likely to replace him up front, his fellow countryman Olisa Onyemerea. “He is an accomplished striker. In fact when I first came to Cambodia I was looking at Olisa as my inspiration. We are both from the same state in Nigeria and I wanted to be him.”

Watching helpless from the stands as the action unfolds on Saturday will be a testing experience for Justine, but he will hope to spur his team on to the league title. “I am there to cheer my team,” he said. “After all a win for them is victory for me as well.”

MOST VIEWED

  • Hungarian exposes 90 to Covid in Siem Reap

    The Ministry of Health has discovered 90 people who have been exposed directly or indirectly to a Hungarian man infected with Covid-19. They all are required to quarantine at home and the hospital. The ministry is searching for other affected people. Among the 90, one is the

  • PM warns of ‘new Cold War’

    Prime Minister Hun Sen said the possibility of a so-called new Cold War has become a significant concern and that all countries have to reject outright, any attempt to allow history to tragically repeat itself. He made the remarks in a speech during 75th Session

  • PM: West unfair to Cambodia

    Prime Minister Hun Sen released a message celebrating the International Day of Peace on Monday, saying that some major powers and western countries had been systemically cooperating to put political pressure on Cambodia as they did in the 1970s and 1980s. Hun Sen said pressuring

  • ‘Bad news is an investor’s best friend’ – unlocking investment potential in Cambodia

    It is time to shop. Economic woes provide good pickings for investors if they know where to look The poem If, written by English Nobel laureate poet and novelist Rudyard Kipling for his son circa 1895, is widely perceived as fatherly advice for John who would

  • PM requests Russia’s Covid vaccine

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has requested that Russia provide Cambodia with its Covid-19 vaccine after the former announced it planned on mass vaccinating its population next month. The request came on Thursday through the prime minister’s Facebook page as he met with Anatoly Borovik,

  • First ‘mobile kitchen’ in Cambodia enters service

    A catering company recently rolled out Cambodia’s first “mobile kitchen” – a $50,000 container capable of serving up to 200 people at a time. The kitchen is the brainchild of Seng Hok Heng Catering Services. At 4.4m-high, 6.8m-long and 2.4m-wide (expandable to 6.8m), the kitchen is equipped