Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Klopp grateful for ‘fantastic’ Firmino and Salah



Klopp grateful for ‘fantastic’ Firmino and Salah

Liverpool midfielder Mohamed Salah celebrates after scoring his side's second goal in their English Premier League match with Southampton at St Mary's on Sunday. AFP
Liverpool midfielder Mohamed Salah celebrates after scoring his side's second goal in their English Premier League match with Southampton at St Mary's on Sunday. AFP

Klopp grateful for ‘fantastic’ Firmino and Salah

urgen Klopp backed Mohamed Salah and Roberto Firmino’s cases for player of the year honours after they each bagged a goal and an assist to ensure an easy 2-0 win for Liverpool at Southampton.

Salah teed up Firmino to open the scoring with his 20th goal of the season after just six minutes, before the Brazilian returned the favour with a stunning backheeled pass for Salah to slot home just before half-time.

Harry Kane and Sergio Aguero furthered their cases to win the golden boot by downing Arsenal and Leicester respectively on Saturday.

But Salah is now just one behind Kane and has one more than the Argentine with 22 Premier League goals in a prolific first season at Anfield.

“I really think Aguero and Kane and a few others are realy good players as well, but our boys are important for us,” Klopp said.

“I love their skills and attitude, but their work rate is outstanding.

“Both get the profit from our style of play. We play in the areas they like to have the balls, but in this strong league you cannot be third without fantastic players.”

Much of the attention before kick-off at St Mary’s was focused on Virgil van Dijk’s return just weeks after he became the world’s most expensive defender by becoming Liverpool’s latest signing from Southampton in a £75 million ($104 million)move.

However, the Dutchman couldn’t have wished for a more straightfoward 90 minutes as he shrugged off the boos of the home fans to record a first clean sheet and Premier League win in a Liverpool shirt.

“He did really well,” added Klopp. “He coped with the situation fantastic. We had a little talk before the game but I didn’t want to make him nervous if he isn’t nervous [and] obviously he wasn’t.

“I understand everything in football. The crowd is there to make life difficult but I don’t think it was too difficult for him.”

Four-way top four battle

Victory saw Liverpool leapfrog Tottenham back into third and close to within two points of Manchester United in second after Jose Mourinho’s men were shocked 1-0 at Newcastle earlier on Sunday.

However, victory for Chelsea over West Brom tonight (at 3am Cambodian time) would see second and fifth separated by just four points in the fight for the top four.

And with the battle to avoid the drop still including up to 10 teams, Klopp believes their desperation could influence the top end of the table.

“It will stay pretty tight until the end of the season I’m pretty sure,” said the German.

“The quality of the teams is too big. The interesting thing in the past few years since I am in [as Liverpool manager] a few teams had already reached their targets to stay in the league . . . this year they will fight and that will make the league really interesting.”

Southampton’s toothless second-half display saw the home crowd turn their ire from Van Dijk to manager Mauricio Pellegrino.

Chants of “You don’t know what you’re doing” greeted the Argentine’s substitutions and he criticised his side’s lack of belief in the second period.

“We had to be more brave in these situations,” Pellegrino said.

“Sometimes you can be losing 2-0, but you have to show another spirit to try and bounce back, and at least to try until the end.

“But I think today the biggest defeat was the way we played in the second half.”

Without a home win since November, Pellegrino admitted it is hard to complain about the reaction of the fans after Southampton slipped into the relegation zone.

“It’s really difficult to ask for more support than this when you are in this situation.”

MOST VIEWED

  • Kingdom's Covid cluster cases jump to 194

    The Ministry of Health on February 25 confirmed 65 new cases of Covid-19, with 58 linked to the February 20 community transmission. The latest cluster cases include nine Vietnamese nationals, five Cambodians, one each from Korea, Singapore and Japan, with the rest being Chinese. This brings the total number

  • Locations shut, dozens more Covid-19 positive

    The Ministry of Health has closed 23 locations in connection with the February 20 community transmission of Covid-19 and summoned for testing anyone who had direct contact with affected people and places. The number of discovered related infections has risen to 76, including 39 women. In a press release,

  • Cambodia's Covid cluster cases rise to 137

    The Ministry of Health on February 24 recorded 40 more cases of Covid-19, with 38 linked to the February 20 community transmission. Of the 40, two are imported cases involving Chinese passengers. The 38 include two Vietnamese nationals and one Cambodian, with the rest being Chinese. This brings the total cases

  • Covid cluster raises alarm, health bodies urge vigilance

    The Ministry of Health and the World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia have expressed great concern over the February 20 cluster transmission of Covid-19 in the community. Both entities appealed for vigilance and cooperation in curbing further spread of the virus. Ministry spokeswoman Or Vandine said

  • PM confirms third Covid-19 community transmission

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on February 20 announced the Kingdom's third outbreak of Covid-19 community transmission after 32 people tested positive in just over 10 hours. Addressing the public from his residence after an emergency meeting, Hun Sen said: "I dub it February 20 Community Event, in which 32 cases

  • Cambodia's cluster cases jump to 259

    The Ministry of Health on February 27 recorded 26 more cases of Covid-19 linked to the February 20 community transmission, bringing the total to 259 in one week. The 26 include three Vietnamese nationals and one Cambodian, with the rest being Chinese. The ministry noted that five of the Chinese