Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Klopp puts in-form Salah up for player of the year award

Klopp puts in-form Salah up for player of the year award

Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp has said he believes his in-form striker Mohamed Salah should be considered for player of the year honours in English football after taking his goal tally for the season to 32. AFP
Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp has said he believes his in-form striker Mohamed Salah should be considered for player of the year honours in English football after taking his goal tally for the season to 32. AFP

Klopp puts in-form Salah up for player of the year award

Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp believes his in-form striker Mohamed Salah should be considered for player of the year honours in English football after taking his goal tally for the season to 32 by scoring in a 2-0 win over Newcastle.

Manchester City’s brilliant playmaker Kevin De Bruyne remains a strong favourite in the running for both the Professional Footballers’ Association (PFA) and Football Writers’ player of the year awards over the final months of the season.

But Klopp, after seeing Salah score for the seventh straight game, said his man deserved to be competing for English football’s top individual honours alongside the Belgian, who has played such a key role in the progress of runaway Premier League leaders City this season.

“Of course,” said Klopp when asked if Salah is a contender. “Him and Kevin De Bruyne are playing different positions so it depends what you want.

“There is no doubt that Kevin De Bruyne is playing a nice season, but there is no doubt that Mo Salah is playing a really good one as well. That’s how it is.”

The German boss added: “And it is not just them, there are a few more players people would mention. Harry Kane is not too bad, Roberto Firmino not too bad, David Silva had a few weeks when he couldn’t play for personal reasons but he is playing an excellent season.

“There are a few good players this season and, for sure, I forget a few as well,” said Klopp after a victory that took Liverpool second, ahead of Sunday’s matches, but still left them 15 points adrift of City.

‘Love this player’

The player of the year campaign would appear to revolve around De Bruyne, Tottenham forward Kane and Salah, whose form appears to be peaking at the right time.

The Egypt international’s 32 goals in all competitions took him past Luis Suarez’s best mark at Liverpool of 31 and to within a goal of the 33 netted by Fernando Torres exactly a decade ago.

With nine league games and, in all likelihood, at least three European ties left in Liverpool’s season, Salah should have the 36 goals scored by Robbie Fowler, 22 years ago, well within his sights.

More ambitious are the marks set by the legendary Ian Rush who scored 40 and 47 in two separate seasons for Liverpool in the 1980s.

“I had no numbers in my mind when we signed Mo but I knew he was a very offensive orientated midfield player and, if you are that, you need to score goals,” said Klopp. “I love the goals he scores but I love the assists – love his attitude.

“I really love this player, how he is doing so well and thank God he is still healthy and fit and all that stuff.

“All the others are exactly the same for us, exactly the same importance, but Mo Salah deserves all the critics’ praise he has got so far and I hope he can carry on.”

‘Save like scoring’

Despite the fine finishing of Salah and Sadio Mane, who scored in the second half, Liverpool needed a superb save from Loris Karius to preserve their lead late in the first period when he denied Mohamed Diame.

“That was very, very important,” said Klopp. “If the ball goes in, it changes the game for us. That save was like scoring.”

Defeat for former Liverpool manager Rafa Benitez at least came with the consolation of receiving a warm welcome from supporters of both new and old clubs and, at one stage, the entire ground at Anfield chanted his name in unison.

“Obviously on a personal level I was really pleased with our fans, and the Liverpool fans – both were really good to me,” said Newcastle boss Benitez.

“But we still didn’t get any points, so I’m happy but disappointed. I’m happy with the approach of the team, happy with the work rate but not happy with the result,” the Spaniard explained.

MOST VIEWED

  • Fifteen Cambodians from Saudi get Covid-19

    The Ministry of Health on Sunday confirmed 15 more imported cases of Covid. The 15 men ‒ all Cambodian aged 21 to 33 ‒ arrived from Saudi Arabia on Friday via a connecting flight in Malaysia. They were travelling with 79 other passengers, three of them women. The ministry said 80 of the

  • Ministry requests school opening

    The Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport on Thursday said it would request a decision from Prime Minister Hun Sen to allow a small number of schools to reopen next month. Ministry spokesman Ros Soveacha said if the request is granted, higher-standard schools will reopen

  • Kingdom eyes India FTA, China deal set for August

    Cambodia is studying the possibility of establishing a bilateral free trade agreement (FTA) with India to open a new market with the second-largest regional economy. This comes as an FTA with China is scheduled to be signed next month while similar negotiations with South Korea

  • Judge lands in court after crashing into alleged thief

    Sen Sok district police on Thursday sent a Koh Kong Provincial Court judge to the Phnom Penh Municipal Court on manslaughter charges after he crashed his car into a woman riding a motorbike on Wednesday, killing her. District police chief Hour Meng Vang told The

  • Vietnamese workers in Koh Kong questioned

    The General Department of Immigration (GDI) is questioning 49 Vietnamese nationals who were working illegally in Koh Kong province to build a case and send them back to Vietnam, its Department of Investigation and Procedure director Kem Sarin said on Thursday. GDI forces and provincial authorities

  • Preah Vihear court drops charges against villagers

    The Preah Vihear Provincial Court has dropped all charges against eight ethnic Kuoy villagers who were in a land dispute with the Hengfu Group Sugar Industry Co Ltd since 2014. Wednesday’s decision was made by the judge who tried the case on June 10. The eight

  • Gov’t to boost Siem Reap tourism

    The Ministry of Tourism released the results of an inter-ministerial committee meeting concerning Siem Reap province’s Tourism Development Master Plan for 2020-2035 on Wednesday, revealing the government’s plan to improve the overall tourist landscape there. The meeting was attended by Minister of Tourism

  • Residents ordered to remove structures on Phnom Penh’s canal

    Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng has ordered authorities to act against the perpetrators who built houses along the Luo 5 canal in Meanchey district. The municipal administration plans to create a committee to solve the matter. The order was given on Wednesday while Sreng led

  • ‘On the offensive’: Cambodia to load up on loans to stimulate economy

    As the dust settles on the economy, Cambodia comes to grips with what needs to be done to turn the economy around, starting with a big shopping list for credit ‘We are going on the offensive,” Vongsey Vissoth, Ministry of Economy and Finance permanent secretary

  • Eighty replacement peacekeepers set for Mali mission despite Covid

    Eighty Cambodian blue helmet soldiers who completed the peacekeeping mission under the UN umbrella in Mali will return to Cambodia on Friday, said the Centre for Peacekeeping Forces spokeswoman Kosal Malida. “To protect their families and communities from the Covid-19 pandemic, the 80 are required to