Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Kyrgios cruises into fourth round of Miami Open



Kyrgios cruises into fourth round of Miami Open

Nick Kyrgios of Australia argues with the chair umpire during his match with Fabio Fognini of Italy at the Miami Open at Crandon Park Tennis Center on Monday. AFP
Nick Kyrgios of Australia argues with the chair umpire during his match with Fabio Fognini of Italy at the Miami Open at Crandon Park Tennis Center on Monday. AFP

Kyrgios cruises into fourth round of Miami Open

Nick Kyrgios moved into the fourth round of the Miami Open despite admitting he’s lacking the match fitness to properly compete for the title.

Kyrgios arrived in south Florida having not played for two months thanks to a troublesome elbow injury which forced him to withdraw from tournaments in Rotterdam, Delray Beach, Acapulco and Indian Wells in recent weeks.

His 6-3, 6-3 victory here Monday against the Italian world No18 Fabio Fognini certainly suggested a return to peak form is attainable.

The Australian took just 29 minutes to win the first set and although Fognini battled hard in the second, it wasn’t enough to stop the 22 year-old who was powerfully crashing the ball around the court from all angles.

Yet afterwards Kyrgios, who will face either David Ferrer or Alexander Zverev for a place in the final eight, insisted his injury problems are refusing to go away.

“I came here not expecting too much,” he said. “I have been having back spasms and am nowhere close to 100 percent.

“So winning matches like this are a great confidence boost for me. I am only at 70 percent so I am just trying to get through and take it very slowly.

“I haven’t been able to train hard. I am just slowly building myself up.”

‘Tick professionalism boxes’

Kyrgios was serving and hitting powerfully, a sure sign that the elbow problem which has hampered him so far in 2018 seems to be on the mend.

“I am trying to keep everything lose, the elbow was feeling better a couple of weeks ago.

“I was feeling good and then I started having back spasms. I just have to keep my body moving and feel warm and loose.”

With the likes of Andy Murray and Stan Wawrinka still out with injuries and Novak Djokovic desperately trying to return from a persistent elbow problem, Kyrgios isn’t alone when it comes to playing through the pain barrier.

“I have had a couple of niggling injuries during my career though no surgery yet touch wood,” he added.

“I am working hard in the gym but I still need to tick some boxes when it comes to professionalism.”

Kyrgios began the match confidently, getting an early break to storm to a 3-0 lead.

Fognini was cutting a frustrated figure in the afternoon sun, his inability to make inroads into the rapid fire Kyrgios’s serve causing the 30-year old to angrily lay bare his frustrations on more than one occasion.

The Australian, however, was far more consistent and when he broke again early in the second set, the writing was very much on the wall for an opponent who simply didn’t have any answers.

His serve was clocked at an impressive 137mph but Kyrgios, who never seems too far away from a meltdown, had to dig deep in an attempt to close out the match.

‘The saltiest dude’

Fognini, however, was unable to pull himself back into the match and another break of serve put the seal on a good afternoon’s work for Kyrgios, who was boosted by having Boston Celtics star Gordon Hayward in his box in Key Biscayne.

“It’s been great to have him around,” says Kyrgios, who is a huge NBA fan and follows the Celtics.

Fellow Australian Thanasi Kokkinakis failed to build on his win over Roger Federer in the previous round, falling 3-6, 6-4, 7-6 (7/4) to Spain’s Fernando Verdasco, while Canadian Denis Shapovalov outlasted American Sam Querrey 6-4, 3-6, 7-5.

Verdasco’s win was a fiery affair with the Spaniard accusing Kokkinakis’ father of talking between points in the deciding set.

Verdasco also called out Kyrgios, who before the match suggested on Twitter that the Verdasco is “the saltiest dude” because of his past experience playing Australians.

“When you have the courage to put a tweet insulting another player, you need to have the same to don’t delete it,” countered Verdasco.

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Education’ a priority traffic-law penalty

    A top National Police official on June 21 neither rejected nor confirmed the authenticity of a leaked audio message, which has gone viral on social media, on a waiver of fines for a number of road traffic-related offences. General Him Yan, deputy National Police chief in

  • Pursat Ford assembly plant opens

    The Kingdom’s first Ford assembly plant was inaugurated on June 16 in Pursat province amid rising demand for brand-new vehicles among Cambodians. The facility is seen as a game changer for the domestic automobile industry, which could bring a wave of investors seeking to cash

  • Siem Reap’s $18M zoo said to educate public, help wildlife

    Angkor Wildlife and Aquarium Co Ltd has invested $18 million in a zoo in Siem Reap province, which will be opened in October to educate and promote animal conservation as well as attract national and international tourists. Currently, the Angkor Wildlife and Aquarium is building the

  • Volunteer scheme to foster ‘virtuous’ humanitarian spirit

    A senior education official said volunteer work contributes to solidarity and promotes a virtuous humanitarian spirit among the youth and communities. Serei Chumneas, undersecretary of state at the Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport, made the comment during the opening of a training programme called “

  • $50B infrastructure plan en route

    The government’s upcoming $50 billion,10-year infrastructure master plan will provide tremendous investment opportunities for domestic and foreign entities, transport experts and economists say. Minister of Public Works and Transport Sun Chanthol revealed the plan to Japanese ambassador to Cambodia Masahiro Mikami on June 15. At

  • Chinese firms unveil preliminary results on metro, monorail for capital

    Minister of Public Works and Transport Sun Chanthol and representatives from China Road and Bridge Corp (CRBC) and its parent company, the state-owned China Communications Construction Co Ltd (CCCC), met on June 24 for talks on results of the firms’ preliminary study on a potential metro