Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Lehmann expresses delight at Yorkshire return

Lehmann expresses delight at Yorkshire return

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Australian coach Darren Lehmann. AFP

Lehmann expresses delight at Yorkshire return

Darren Lehmann, who stood down as Australia coach in the wake of the ball-tampering scandal, is to take charge of the Leeds-based team in next year’s inaugural The Hundred tournament.

The 49-year-old – who was cleared of involvement in the scandal which resulted in Steve Smith, David Warner and Cameron Bancroft being banned – told Press Association Sport he was delighted to be returning to Yorkshire.

The former Australian batsman who represented his country in 27 Tests and 117 One Day Internationals was part of the Yorkshire side that won the county championship in 2001, their first since 1968.

“It’s great to be back. I hoped I’d get the chance when I heard about it and I’m so excited the opportunity came along,” Lehmann told PA, 18 months on from the so-called ‘sandpaper-gate’ scandal in South Africa in March last year.

“It was a great experience of my career to play here, where the passion for the game is second to none.

“The connection is strong, I have so many family and friends around and I was lucky enough to be involved in ending Yorkshire’s long wait for a county championship win in 2001.”

Lehmann, who underwent counselling following his resignation, told the BBC he had no interest in returning to international cricket.

“No, I’ve gone past that,” said Lehmann, who coached Australia from 2013-18.

“It’s more about tournaments and having a bit of fun.

“I’ll certainly stay away from international coaching, I don’t want to travel that much any more.”

Great contest

Lehmann, who won two World Cups as a player and added a third when he coached Australia to the 2015 trophy, is pleased that Smith, Warner and Bancroft have all been recalled following their bans and are playing in the Ashes series which the tourists lead 1-0 after two Tests.

“I’m just looking forward to watching them play,” said Lehmann ahead of the third Test which gets underway in Leeds at Headingley on Thursday.

“The game has moved on and people have got to move on as well, I’m glad those guys are playing their part in a great contest between Australia and England.

“It’s been an enthralling series.”

Lehmann, whose team is reportedly going to be called the ‘Northern Superchargers’, is one of four Australians already appointed coaches of The Hundred teams.

Shane Warne, Simon Katich and Andrew McDonald are the other Australians whilst South African Gary Kirsten has also been appointed a coach.

Lehmann, though, is keen to promote English coaching talent.

“You’d be mad not to try and help young English coaches and work closely with them,” he said.

“I’d certainly like to get people from the county system involved and work closely with them, you’re always learning as a coach so I can learn from them and vice versa.”

MOST VIEWED

  • NagaWorld casinos set to reopen, schools to follow

    NAGACORP Ltd has requested that it be allowed to reopen its NagaWorld integrated resorts in Phnom Penh after the government recently approved casinos to operate again, provided they follow Covid-19 prevention measures set by the Ministry of Health. Mey Vann, the director-general of the Ministry

  • ASEM supports Kingdom’s proposal to postpone meeting amid Covid

    The 13th Asia-Europe Meeting (ASEM13) scheduled to be held in Cambodia in November has been postponed until mid-2021 due to the Covid-19 pandemic, a Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation press statement released on Saturday said. The decision was made during a two-day meeting

  • Coffee maker roasted for producing fake product

    The Ministry of Interior’s Counter Counterfeit Committee will send a suspect to court on Monday after she allegedly roasted coffee mixed with soybeans and other ingredients, creating a product which could pose a high risk to consumers’ health. On the afternoon of July 2, the

  • Cambodia armed with money laundering laws

    Money laundering will now carry a penalty of up to five years in prison while those convicted of financing terrorists will be jailed for up to 20 years, according to new laws promulgated by King Norodom Sihamoni and seen by The Post on Thursday. Comprising nine

  • Schools to be reopened in ‘three stages’

    With guidance from Prime Minister Hun Sen, the Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport, is in the process of reopening schools in three stages. But no timeline has been set, ministry spokesperson Ros Soveacha said on Thursday. Soveacha said the first stage will be to

  • Thai border crossings eased

    The Cambodian Embassy in Thailand said in an announcement on Wednesday that Thailand’s government has allowed certain passengers from several countries to enter its borders. The visitors must go back to their country immediately after their duties in Thailand are fulfilled, the embassy said.

  • Gov’t says tourism recovers slightly despite pandemic

    The Ministry of Tourism and the Phnom Penh municipal administration have recognised 33 tourism businesses in the capital which have consistently implemented safety measures for tourists and adhered to the code of conduct issued by the ministry. Recently, the ministry announced that tourism businesses had to

  • Mull ASEAN border opening, PM urges

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has requested that ASEAN launch a scenario for gradually reopening cross-border travel and trade between countries in the region. He said ASEAN has had more success combating Covid-19 compared to other regions. The prime minister’s request was made at the

  • Ministry reports 11 new Covid-19 cases, reiterates vigilance

    Minister of Health Mam Bun Heng has urged people to continue practising virus prevention techniques after 11 people tested positive for Covid-19 within two days after arriving in the Kingdom. Speaking on Sunday, Bun Heng stressed the importance of washing hands, wearing masks or scarves when

  • Koh Rong land ‘belongs to firm’

    Preah Sihanouk Provincial Administration spokesperson Kheang Phearum told The Post on Sunday that the 35ha being bulldozed by Royal Group Co Ltd in Koh Rong belongs to it after it was leased to it for 99 years by the government in 2008. Phearum said the land does