Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Lewis keen to return to winning ways in Bahrain



Lewis keen to return to winning ways in Bahrain

Ferrari's Sebastian Vettel celebrates winning the Australian Grand Prix on the podium beside second-placed Mercedes driver Lewis Hamilton in Melbourne on March 25. AFP
Ferrari's Sebastian Vettel celebrates winning the Australian Grand Prix on the podium beside second-placed Mercedes driver Lewis Hamilton in Melbourne on March 25. AFP

Lewis keen to return to winning ways in Bahrain

Lewis Hamilton expects to face another fast and furious scrap with Sebastian Vettel this weekend as the pair head to the desert for Sunday’s Bahrain Grand Prix, which is set for a 10:10pm start Cambodian time.

Two weeks after the combination of a virtual safety car intervention and a software bug deprived him of victory for Mercedes at the season-opening Australian Grand Prix, the defending four-time world champion is keen to make amends.

Vettel, who has also won the title four times, triumphed in Melbourne for Ferrari to take an early lead in the drivers’ championship and leave Hamilton cursing his luck.

The 33-year-old Briton found himself in a similar position last year when he had to overcome an early-season deficit and win the title.

“We can win this next race,” he said. “We still have a great car, we are the world champions and with a couple of adjustments we can win.

“We always knew it would be close this year. There will be ups and downs. Ferrari were really quick on the straight in Melbourne and they will be rapid again, I can tell you.”

A victory for Hamilton, who has a career total of 62 wins from his 209 races, would not only boost his bid for a fifth title but would also extend his points-scoring run to a record-equalling 27 consecutive races, set by Finn Kimi Raikkonen, then of Lotus, in 2013.

Hamilton’s last non-scoring race came at the 2016 Malaysian Grand Prix.

Vettel will go into his 200th race full of confidence following his Albert Park win and victory in Bahrain last year when he ended a Mercedes streak of three wins, two by Hamilton.

Ricciardo a threat

On a demanding track that has four long straights, Ferrari may have a power advantage, but both of the leading teams will be aware of the threat from Red Bull, whose Australian driver Daniel Ricciardo set the fastest lap in Melbourne on his way to third.

Mercedes chief Toto Wolff expects his team to bounce back after identifying that “an offline tool” used for delta lap times had caused an error in their calculations in Australia and handed victory to Ferrari.

“We made mistakes and did not perform to our maximum – and it reminded us that this is the toughest racing series in the world, where every error is punished,” said Wolff.

“It hurt to leave all those points on the table, especially because we know we had the pace to win in Australia.

“Back at base, we did what we always do after a tough weekend – we made sure that we understand what went wrong and put a process in place to make sure that we don’t see a similar issue in the future.

“These painful moments are the real learning experiences. Mistakes become training.”

Noises off the track

Behind the top three teams, Fernando Alonso and a resurgent McLaren have stated their intent on challenging Red Bull and overcoming surprise package Haas, whose Ferrari-engined car shone in Melbourne before both drivers retired.

Alonso is a three-time winner in Bahrain, like Vettel, and hopes his car’s new Renault power unit can carry him into contention for a strong finish in the points.

As the action echoes on the track, there are also likely to be noises off it when new American owners Liberty Media, together with the international motorsport ruling body, the FIA, reveal their blueprint for the future of F1 post-2020.

MOST VIEWED

  • Locations shut, dozens more Covid-19 positive

    The Ministry of Health has closed 23 locations in connection with the February 20 community transmission of Covid-19 and summoned for testing anyone who had direct contact with affected people and places. The number of discovered related infections has risen to 76, including 39 women. In a press release,

  • Kingdom's Covid cluster cases jump to 194

    The Ministry of Health on February 25 confirmed 65 new cases of Covid-19, with 58 linked to the February 20 community transmission. The latest cluster cases include nine Vietnamese nationals, five Cambodians, one each from Korea, Singapore and Japan, with the rest being Chinese. This brings the total number

  • Cambodia's Covid cluster cases rise to 137

    The Ministry of Health on February 24 recorded 40 more cases of Covid-19, with 38 linked to the February 20 community transmission. Of the 40, two are imported cases involving Chinese passengers. The 38 include two Vietnamese nationals and one Cambodian, with the rest being Chinese. This brings the total cases

  • Covid cluster raises alarm, health bodies urge vigilance

    The Ministry of Health and the World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia have expressed great concern over the February 20 cluster transmission of Covid-19 in the community. Both entities appealed for vigilance and cooperation in curbing further spread of the virus. Ministry spokeswoman Or Vandine said

  • PM confirms third Covid-19 community transmission

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on February 20 announced the Kingdom's third outbreak of Covid-19 community transmission after 32 people tested positive in just over 10 hours. Addressing the public from his residence after an emergency meeting, Hun Sen said: "I dub it February 20 Community Event, in which 32 cases

  • Cambodia to make auto-rickshaws

    Locally-assembled electric auto-rickshaws could hit the Cambodian market as soon as early in May after the Council for the Development of Cambodia (CDC) gave the greenlight to an investment project at the weekend. According to a CDC press release, it will issue a final registration