Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Ma Viro gets first taste of glory, Tang triumphs again




Ma Viro gets first taste of glory, Tang triumphs again

Runners pass through a gate at the Angkor Thom complex
Runners pass through a gate at the Angkor Thom complex yesterday during the 19th Angkor Wat International Half Marathon. NOCC

Ma Viro gets first taste of glory, Tang triumphs again

Cambodia’s Ma Viro claimed his first victory in the Angkor Wat International Half Marathon yesterday morning in Siem Reap.

The 27-year-old national team runner completed the 21-kilometre course around the picturesque Angkorean temple complex in a total time of one hour, 16 minutes and 10 seconds.

Just over five minutes back was compatriot Phan Sophak, with Britain’s Thomas Booth in third on 1:22:15.

In the women’s half marathon, Singapore’s Vivian Tang added to her multiple titles in the past with a solid run of 1:28:05, around half a minute slower than the time she set in winning last year’s race.

Canada’s Tracy Whiting-Tary clinched silver yesterday with 1:33:21 ahead of American Laura Kighlinger, who crossed the line in 1:34:10.

According to Kyodo news, Tourism Minister and National Olympic Committee of Cambodia President Thong Khon said nearly 8,000 runners from 78 countries entered events over 3km, 10km or 21km. In 1996, only 654 runners from 14 countries entered.

There was also a special wheelchair race.

The Angkor Wat International Half Marathon was first introduced by Yuko Arimori, the first Japanese woman to win a marathon medal at the Olympics.

Arimori, now a goodwill ambassador for the United Nations Population Fund, has taken part in every international half marathon in Siem Reap to contribute to fund-raising for landmine victims and the poor.

“It is truly a pleasure to be able to meet again in the marking of 19 years. I would love to share the pleasure to be here with all of you,” she was quoted as saying yesterday by Kyodo news.

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Kingdom one of safest to visit in Covid-19 era’

    The Ministry of Tourism on January 12 proclaimed Cambodia as one of the safest countries to visit in light of the Kingdom having been ranked number one in the world by the Senegalese Economic Prospective Bureau for its success in handling the Covid-19 pandemic. In rankings

  • Ministry mulls ASEAN+3 travel bubble

    The Ministry of Tourism plans to launch a travel bubble allowing transit between Cambodia and 12 other regional countries in a bid to resuscitate the tourism sector amid crushing impact of the ongoing spread of Covid-19, Ministry of Tourism spokesman Top Sopheak told The Post on

  • Courts’ decisions now published as reference source

    The Ministry of Justice has published 44 verdicts from civil litigation cases which can be used as models for court precedents and for study by the public and those who work in pertinent fields. Publication of the verdicts on December 31 came as the result of joint

  • Reeling in Cambodia’s real estate sector

    A new norm sets the scene but risks continue to play out in the background A cold wind sweeps through the streets of Boeung Trabek on an early January morning as buyers and traders engage in commerce under bright blue skies. From a distance, the

  • Quarantine site in north Phnom Penh inaugurated

    A four-building quarantine centre in Phnom Penh’s Prek Pnov district was formally inaugurated on January 6. The centre can house up to 500 people, according to Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng. At the inauguration ceremony, Sreng said the municipal hall had cooperated with the Ministry

  • China firm to develop Mondulkiri airport

    Tourism to the Kingdom’s northeast corridor could experience a remarkable metamorphosis after the government decided in principle of a Chinese company to study and develop a proposal to build a regional-level airport in Mondulkiri province, according to industry insiders. The Council of Ministers said