Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Maradona nurse following orders, prosecutors told



Maradona nurse following orders, prosecutors told

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Diego Maradona died of a heart attack last November at the age of 60, just weeks after undergoing brain surgery for a blood clot. AFP

Maradona nurse following orders, prosecutors told

A nurse accused of neglect in Diego Maradona’s death told Argentine prosecutors on June 14 that he was following orders “not to disturb” the football icon while he slept.

Ricardo Almiron, 37, was Maradona’s night-time carer and was one of the last people to see the World Cup-winning captain alive.

He is suspected of lying when he claimed Maradona was sleeping and breathing normally hours before he died.

An autopsy revealed he was dying at that time.

Almiron is one of seven people under investigation for manslaughter after a board of experts looking into Maradona’s death found he had received inadequate care and was abandoned to his fate for a “prolonged, agonising period”.

The football legend died of a heart attack last November at the age of 60, just weeks after undergoing brain surgery for a blood clot.

Almiron arrived just after midday with his lawyer Franco Chiarelli at the San Isidro public prosecutor’s office on the outskirts of the capital Buenos Aires.

Speaking to journalists after the interview, Chiarelli said Almiron “always treated Maradona as a patient with

a complex psychiatric” con-dition but was never told about “an issue related to heart disease.”

“He was told by his superiors not to disturb the patient. My client had the wisdom to carry out his tasks without the patient feeling encroached upon, which was something he had to deal with the entire time he was there,” Chiarelli added.

An investigation was opened following a complaint filed by two of Maradona’s five children against neurosurgeon Leopoldo Luque, who they blame for their father’s deteriorating condition after the operation.

A panel of 20 medical experts convened by Argentina’s public prosecutor said last month that Maradona’s treatment was rife with “deficiencies and irregularities” and the medical team had left his survival “to fate”.

The panel concluded he “would have had a better chance of survival” with adequate treatment in an appropriate medical facility.

Instead, he died in his bed in a rented house in an exclusive Buenos Aires neighbourhood, where he was receiving home care.

The others under investigation are Maradona’s psychiatrist Agustina Cosachov, 35; psychologist Carlos Diaz, 29; nurse Dahiana Madrid, 36; nursing coordinator Mariano Perroni, 40; and medical coordinator Nancy Forlini, 52.

Over the next two weeks, they will appear one by one before prosecutors, accompanied by defence lawyers, to reply to the allegations against them.

‘I did my best’

The hearings, postponed from last month due to a spike in coronavirus cases in Argentina, will end with Luque, 39, on June 28.

A judge will then decide whether the matter should go to trial in a process expected to last months, even years.

All seven accused are prohibited from leaving the country, and face between eight and 25 years in prison if convicted.

Luque has repeatedly defended his actions, saying: “I did my best. I offered

Diego everything I could; some things he accepted, others not.”

The doctor is seeking a dismissal of the case, and says Maradona had been depressed in his final days.

“I know that the [coronavirus] quarantine hit him very hard,” Luque has said.

Maradona had battled cocaine and alcohol addictions during his life.

The former Boca Juniors, Barcelona and Napoli star was suffering from liver, kidney and cardiovascular disorders when he died.

Maradona is an idol to millions of Argentines after he inspired the football-mad South American country to only their second World Cup triumph in 1986.

His death shocked fans around the world, and tens of thousands queued to file past his coffin, which had been draped in the Argentine flag, at the presidential palace in Buenos Aires amid three days of national mourning.

MOST VIEWED

  • PM imposes nationwide Covid restrictions, curfew over Delta scare

    Prime Minister Hun Sen late on July 28 instructed the municipal and provincial authorities nationwide to strictly enforce Covid-19 measures including curfew for two weeks from July 29 midnight through August 12 to stem the new coronavirus Delta variant. The instruction came shortly after he issued a directive

  • Two luxury hotels latest quarantine options for inbound travellers

    The Inter-Ministerial Committee to Combat Covid-19 has designated two luxury hotels as alternative quarantine options for travellers who wish to enter Cambodia through Phnom Penh International Airport – Sokha Phnom Penh Hotel & Residence and the Courtyard by Marriott Phnom Penh. In a notice detailing guidelines issued

  • Provinces on Thai borders put in lockdown amid Delta fears

    The government has decided to place several border provinces in lockdown for two weeks in a bid to prevent the new coronavirus Delta variant spreading further into community. According a directive signed by Prime Minister Hun Sen late on July 28, the provinces include Koh Kong,

  • Visa A holders get to quarantine at Himawari Hotel

    The Ministry of Health has permitted foreign diplomats, UN and International NGO officials to undergo quarantine at Himawari Hotel in the capital in case they do not have a separate place suitable for this purpose, but the government would not be responsible for the expenses.

  • Jabs for kids bring hope for school reopenings

    Cambodia is tentatively planning to reopen schools – at least at the secondary level – when the vaccination of children aged 12-17 is completed, even though daily transmissions and deaths in other age groups remain high. Schools across the country have been suspended since March 20, one month

  • China denies Mekong hacking

    As the US and its allies joined hands last week to expose what they allege to be China’s Ministry of State Security’s malicious cyber activities around the world, the attention also turned to Cambodia with the US Department of Justice claiming that four