Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Masterful Ding seals world snooker quarterfinal spot



Masterful Ding seals world snooker quarterfinal spot

Chinese snooker superstar Ding Junhui is bidding to become the first Asian to be crowned champion. AFP
Chinese snooker superstar Ding Junhui is bidding to become the first Asian to be crowned champion. AFP

Masterful Ding seals world snooker quarterfinal spot

Chinese snooker superstar Ding Junhui cruised into the quarterfinals of the World Snooker Championship on Monday, securing the one frame he required to thrash Anthony McGill 13-4 in their second round clash.

The 31-year-old, the losing finalist in 2016, is the new favourite after five-time champion “Rocket” Ronnie O’Sullivan and defending champion Mark Selby went out.

Ding showed little sign of the favourite’s tag handicapping him as he wasted little time in securing the one frame he needed in Monday’s third and final session against his 27-year-old Scottish opponent.

“I was focused and relaxed and took every chance to make breaks,” said Ding.

“I feel good and I am playing well.”

Ding – bidding to become the first Asian to be crowned champion – will play Englishman Barry Hawkins in the last eight.

Hawkins beat Ding on his way to a surprise appearance in the 2013 world final, where he lost to O’Sullivan. The 39-year-old has since shown that was no fluke by reaching the last four on three occasions.

“Barry is a great player. It will be a tough game. He plays well at the Crucible every year,” Ding added.

Higgins threat

Ding lost to Selby in the 2016 final and last year’s semifinals, and he could face serious competition for the title from another Scot, John Higgins, who looks in sparkling form.

The 42-year-old quadruple world champion, who lost in last year’s final, demolished Englishman Jack Lisowski 13-1.

That was no mean feat given Lisowski – who only just avoided becoming the second player in the tournament’s history to fail to win a frame – had ousted 2015 world champion Stuart Bingham in the first round.

Higgins’s highest break was 146, one short of a maximum clearance – only the fourth time it has been done in world championships history.

He will next face the winner of the match between 2011 finalist Judd Trump and Ricky Walden, who are all square at 8-8.

“I felt for Jack a little bit,” said Higgins.

“It is the worst feeling in the world and the worst venue in the world when you are really struggling. The harder you try, the worse it gets. I could see what he was going through.”

MOST VIEWED

  • Cambodia unveils new quarantine regulations

    The government has modified Covid-19 quarantine requirements, shortening the duration for, among others, Cambodian officials, foreign diplomats and delegations, investors and inbound travellers in general. According to an official notice signed by Minister of Health Mam Bun Heng late on October 16, quarantine length for Cambodian

  • Cambodia sets new Covid-19 quarantine rules

    The government has modified Covid-19 quarantine requirements, shortening the duration for, among others, Cambodian officials, foreign diplomats and delegations, investors and inbound travellers in general. According to an official notice signed by Minister of Health Mam Bun Heng late on October 16, quarantine length for Cambodian

  • Hun Sen: Cambodia set to fully reopen

    Prime Minister Hun Sen concludes that the October 5-7 Pchum Ben public holiday, during which many people either flocked to their hometowns for family reunion or gathered at tourist attractions across the country, has not caused an outbreak of Covid-19. In a special address to

  • Will Evergrande change the way Chinese developers do business in Cambodia?

    China’s property sector policy has exposed the grim financial condition of real estate developers including those operating in Cambodia, which raises questions over the viability of their projects and business going forward The dark blue netting draping over one of Yuetai Group Co Ltd’

  • Cambodia resumes issuance of tourist visas

    The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation has announced the resumption of its tourist visa and visa exemption programme after a long hiatus due to the Covid-19 pandemic. In a letter dated October 20 and addressed to foreign embassies and consulates, foreign minister Prak Sokhonn

  • S’ville set to turn into ‘second Shenzhen’

    The Ministry of Economy and Finance has awarded a master plan consultancy contract to top Chinese institute for the development and transformation of Preah Sihanouk province into a “Model Multi-Purpose Special Economic Zone”, Southeast Asia’s next logistics and resort hub and innovation centre. The