Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Mayweather says any return will be in UFC

Mayweather says any return will be in UFC

Floyd Mayweather (left) fights mixed martial arts star Conor McGregor at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada on August 26, 2017. AFP
Floyd Mayweather (left) fights mixed martial arts star Conor McGregor at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada on August 26, 2017. AFP

Mayweather says any return will be in UFC

Floyd Mayweather says if he fights again it will be in a mixed martial arts bout but added he’s not focused on getting in the ring again with Conor McGregor.

“McGregor has other things to deal with,” Mayweather said Saturday.

Mayweather told Showtime sports that if he comes out of retirement it would be against the wishes of his trusted adviser Al Haymon. He added it would have to be for the right amount of money and at the 145 pound division in UFC.

“It is possible I do come back, but if I do come back, it has to be in the octagon,” said Mayweather, who has never fought in UFC before.

“I spoke with my team, I spoke with [adviser] Al Haymon. Al Haymon says no.

“If I do come back, Showtime and CBS have to be involved.”

Mayweather, who has often used a retirement ruse as a way to sell tickets to his title fights, said people should know he is not serious when he says this will be his last time in the ring.

“Retirement has been great but, as you know and everyone knows, I go into retirement and I come back,” he said.

Mayweather did not give any details about who he might seek to fight.

“I can do whatever I want, when I want to, and how I want to,” he said.

McGregor crossed over to boxing in August and Mayweather knocked him out in the 10th round of the second-highest grossing fight in history.

Mixed martial arts star McGregor was arraigned Friday on charges including felony criminal mischief and assault, following a melee outside at a UFC sponsored media event in New York City that left fighters injured and a bus window smashed.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh authorities ban march for Human Rights Day

    Phnom Penh authorities have banned a planned march as local NGOs and workers’ unions gear up to celebrate the 70th anniversary of the signing of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights on Monday, with a youth group leader saying they would march nonetheless. The UN

  • Phnom Penh’s Jet’s Container Night Market shuts down

    The famous Jet’s Container Night Market in central Phnom Penh has shut down due to the high cost of the land rental, company representatives claim. Jet’s Container Night Market is the largest such market in Phnom Penh. It operated for just over two

  • Hun Sen rejects ‘rift’ rumours spread by ‘stupid gangsters’

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Wednesday denied a “rift” among top leaders of the Cambodian People’s Party (CPP), and rejected claims that Senate president Say Chhum and Interior Minister Sar Kheng were set to be removed from their positions as rumours spread by “gangsters”.

  • EU ambassador to Cambodia: Rights a ‘work in progress’

    The EU ambassador to Cambodia has called human rights “a work in progress” and said the 28-nation bloc has “carefully” noted last week’s statement by the government on taking further steps to strengthen democracy and the political sphere in the Kingdom. The EU marked