Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Metfone C-League gets brought forward

Metfone C-League gets brought forward

Metfone C-League gets brought forward

The Football Federation of Cambodia yesterday released the fixtures list of the 2013 Metfone C-League, with the season set to be held two months earlier than previous schedules.

The first half of the Cambodian top tier campaign will kick off on New Year’s Day and will run until March 10, during which time the 7th Samdech Hun Sen Cup will also be played, while the second half will be run from March 19 to June 2.

As in last year’s edition, a post-season playoff dubbed the Super 4 Playoffs will involve the top four finishers of the league table.

The semifinals between first and fourth and second and third are slated for June 8, a third place playoff on June 11 and the grand final on June 15.

League games will be played on Tuesdays, Saturdays and Sundays with the majority of Tuesday ties hosted by the Old Stadium, with all others at Olympic Stadium. Boeung Ket Rubber Field are the defending champions after their dramatic 3-1 final victory over Naga Corp.

They will contest the new season with Preah Khan Reach, National Police Commissary, Phnom Penh Crown, National Defence Minstry, Build Bright United, Kirivong Sok Sen Chey and newly promoted sides Senate Secretariat and Asia Europe University, who were winners and runners-up respectively of Division A1 organised by Ministry of Education, Youth and Sports this year.

Meanwhile, yesterday’s scheduled draw for the 2014 AFC Challenge Cup qualifiers at the AFC House in Kuala Lumpur has been pushed back until next month.

To contact the reporter on this story: Ung Chamroeun at [email protected]

MOST VIEWED

  • Sihanoukville building collapse death toll rises to 19

    Minister of Interior Sar Kheng said on Sunday that the government will act against those responsible for the collapse of a seven-storey building in Sihanoukville on Saturday, which resulted in 19 dead and 24 injured as of Sunday evening. Sar Kheng said three Chinese nationals and one

  • Gov’t to probe Chinese exports to US via Sihanoukville

    The government is investigating allegations that Chinese companies are using Chinese-owned special economic zones in Cambodia to export goods to the US and avoid tariffs, said Ministry of Commerce spokesman Seang Thay. The move comes after US embassy spokesman Arend Zwartjes said the US had

  • Banh: The Khmer Rouge worse than sanctions and pressure

    Minister of National Defence Tea Banh said on Thursday that having sanctions and external pressure placed on Cambodia was not worse than life under the brutal Khmer Rouge regime. Tea Banh, who is also deputy prime minister, was speaking to military and ruling party officials

  • Funcinpec ‘set to sell their headquarters’, says source

    An anonymous source from Funcinpec said acting president Prince Norodom Chakravuth had held a meeting with other officials to discuss selling several of the party headquarters across the country while the party president Prince Norodom Ranariddh receives medical treatment at the Royal Phnom Penh Hospital