Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Mourinho says blast triggered United fightback



Mourinho says blast triggered United fightback

Manchester United midfielder Nemanja Matic (centre) celebrates scoring his side's late winner against Crystal Palace in their English Premier League match at Selhurst Park in south London on Monday night. AFP
Manchester United midfielder Nemanja Matic (centre) celebrates scoring his side's late winner against Crystal Palace in their English Premier League match at Selhurst Park in south London on Monday night. AFP

Mourinho says blast triggered United fightback

Jose Mourinho revealed his expletive-filled half-time rant inspired Manchester United’s dramatic 3-2 win over Crystal Palace on Monday night.

Mourinho’s side fought back from two goals down at Selhurst Park to snatch the points thanks to Nemanja Matic’s blistering long-range strike in stoppage time.

United trailed to goals from Andros Townsend and Patrick van Aanholt before Chris Smalling gave the visitors a lifeline.

Romelu Lukaku equalised with 14 minutes remaining, setting the stage for Serbia midfielder Matic to notch his first goal for United since his move from Chelsea last year.

Mourinho admitted he was furious with his players’ lethargic first half performance and he tore into them, while demanding they show more tactical discipline.

“I cannot tell you half of the things I told my team at half-time because there would be lots of bleeping on television,” Mourinho said.

“There were a few strong words relating to their attitude and the intensity of the game.

“What I can say was all about the tactical positioning. That second goal was a goal to show kids in academies around the country, to show that top players can concede silly goals.

“David De Gea had to do better. He is the best, no doubt, but he had to do better.

“But the intensity and character was fantastic. We got a bit of luck in the last minute but it was deserved.

“The urgency in that last half-hour was huge.”

It was the first time United had come from 2-0 down to win a Premier League game since December 2013 at Hull.

After hitting back from a goal down to beat Chelsea last weekend, Mourinho insisted this was another demonstration that United have the spirit and desire to overcome perilous predicaments.

Keep the faith

“We were losing to Chelsea last week, then we were losing away from home against a Palace team that needs points,” he said.

“It’s very hard but we kept faith and belief.

“I always believe we can win. I will be like that until my last day.

“Some days more than others but after Smalling’s goal, I always thought it was possible.

“Matic scored amazing goals like this when he was with me at Chelsea, at Goodison Park, against Benfica.”

United’s stirring revival moved them back above Liverpool into second place in the Premier League.

They trail runaway leaders Manchester City by 16 points, but Mourinho is more concerned with securing the top four finish that guarantees qualification for next season’s Champions League.

“We want to finish second, but it is huge pressure for us to finish in the top four. Now we have a little pillow,” he said.

Palace remain in the relegation zone, one point from safety, but Eagles boss Roy Hodgson urged his players not to let the heartbreaking defeat influence their fight for survival.

“We took the game to Manchester United. If we had drawn the game – I don’t think anyone, Jose included – would have said it was a scandal,” he said.

“We once again go away with no points and, like the game against Tottenham, I thought we deserved something.

“But you always know the quality they possess and the strength and depth they have. They can cause problems.

“Where we are in the table doesn’t enter my mind. It would have been nice to have two more points, but we still would have been very much in a relegation battle.

“It could well go down to the wire.”

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Businesses in capital told to get travel permit amid lockdown through One Window Service

    The Phnom Penh Municipal Administration has issued guidelines on how to get travel permission for priority groups during the lockdown of Phnom Penh, directing private institutions to apply through the municipality's One Window Service and limit their staff to a mere two per cent. In

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Ministry names types of business permitted amid lockdown

    The Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training singled out 11 types of business that are permitted to operate during the lockdown of Phnom Penh and Takmao town, which run through April 28. Those include (1) food-processing enterprises and slaughterhouses; (2) providers of public services such as firefighting, utility and