Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Muller allows treble talk as Bayern rout Besiktas

Muller allows treble talk as Bayern rout Besiktas

Muller allows treble talk as Bayern rout Besiktas

Thomas Muller says Bayern Munich could repeat their 2013 treble after crushing 10-man Besiktas 5-0 in the first leg of their Champions League last-16 tie.

Bayern have one foot in the quarterfinals with Besiktas facing a near impossible task for the return leg in Istanbul on March 14.

Both Muller and Poland striker Robert Lewandowski scored twice as Bayern ran riot in the second half in Germany.

“Everything is possible,” Muller said when asked whether Bayern can repeat their 2013 haul of Champions League, Bundesliga and German Cup titles.

However head coach Jupp Heynckes, 72, who oversaw the treble five years ago, insists Bayern must do better if they want all three titles again.

“Any talk like that is the job of journalists – the Champions League is a different competition and we must improve,” said Heynckes.

“Everyone in the stadium saw that we found it hard in the first half.

“We didn’t find our rhythm and we were nervous – I don’t know my team like that.

“In the first half there wasn’t any tempo to our game, our passing was off and it allowed Besiktas to attack us more.

“The opener before the break gave us a psychological advantage and in the second half we saw a different Bayern team.

“We scored some great goals and played some good football.”

MOST VIEWED

  • Archeologists find ancient phallic statue

    An archeological team has found a metre-long tipless stone linga (penis) of the Hindu deity Shiva in the foundations of a temple in Kratie province’s historical Samphu Borak area, a former capital of the pre-Angkor Empire Chenla period. Thuy Chanthourn, the deputy director of

  • Man arrested for fake PM endorsement

    The owner of currency exchange company GCG Asia Co Ltd was temporarily detained by the court yesterday for attempted fraud after Prime Minister Hun Sen reacted to the company using his name and pictures to allege his endorsement of the firm. Phnom Penh Municipal Court

  • Sihanoukville authority orders structure dismantled

    The Preah Sihanouk provincial administration has ordered owners of two unauthorised construction sites to immediately dismantle them and warned of legal action if the owners failed to comply. Ly Chet Niyom, development management and construction bureau chief at the provincial hall, told The Post on

  • Police seek arrest of Chinese ‘gang’

    Cambodian police remain on the lookout for 20 Chinese nationals who earlier this month posted a video clip threatening to stoke insecurity in Preah Sihanouk province, though the Chinese Embassy in Phnom Penh maintained the group posed no threats to Cambodia’s national security. National Police