Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Nadal downs Greek teen Tsitsipas to take 11th Barcelona title



Nadal downs Greek teen Tsitsipas to take 11th Barcelona title

Rafael Nadal poses with the trophy after beating Greek teenager Stefanos Tsitsipas to win the final of the Barcelona Open on Sunday. AFP
Rafael Nadal poses with the trophy after beating Greek teenager Stefanos Tsitsipas to win the final of the Barcelona Open on Sunday. AFP

Nadal downs Greek teen Tsitsipas to take 11th Barcelona title

Rafael Nadal won his 11th Barcelona title on Sunday when he breezed past Greek teenager Stefanos Tsitsipas 6-2, 6-1, reinforcing his position as the overwhelming favourite to lift an 11th French Open.

It was world No1 Nadal’s 55th career clay-court title, while he also extended his winning streak on the surface to 46 consecutive sets.

The 31-year-old Spaniard won his 11th Monte Carlo Masters last weekend, also without dropping a set.

Nadal now has 77 titles overall while his career clay-court match record stands at 401 wins against just 35 defeats.

“It’s very difficult to describe how to win 11 titles at one tournament. To win 11 Monte-Carlos and 11 Barcelonas is something I couldn’t imagine doing. I’m just enjoying every week, and the fact I’m playing in a tournament that I enjoy so much means a lot to me,” Nadal said.

His win on Sunday was greeted by tickertape and a video review of all his titles on the centre court in Barcelona which now bears his name.

“It’s really emotional to see that video. I never dreamed of having a career like this,” said the 16-time Grand Slam title winner.

“Last year, they made a video of my 10 titles here. Now they have had to make another video for 11 – it makes me feel like I am ageing.

“Thanks to everyone for making the tournament so special and thanks to my family who have been with me even when things have not been so smooth.”

Nadal is now level with John McEnroe on 77 career titles, with only Jimmy Connors (109), Roger Federer (97) and Ivan Lendl (94) ahead of him.

He may not catch them but one thing is for certain – barring injury – he is more than likely to be lifting an 11th Coupe des Mousquetaires at Roland Garros in Paris on June 10.

His confidence of capturing a 17th major will be boosted by seeing his “Big Four” rivals falling by the wayside.

Roger Federer is skipping the clay season for a second successive year to concentrate on his assault on a ninth Wimbledon title.

Novak Djokovic is struggling to recover from an elbow injury and Andy Murray hasn’t played since last year’s Wimbledon and underwent hip sugery in January.

Ten years in the making

Tsitsipas, 19 years old and ranked 63rd, was the first Greek man to make an ATP final since Nicholas Kalogeropoulos in Des Moines back in 1973.

He was also the youngest Barcelona finalist since Nadal in 2005.

“Stefanos, you had an incredible week. You have a great future and I wish you great success,” added Nadal of an opponent who will become just the second teenager in the world top 50 next week after Canada’s Denis Shapovalov.

Nadal needed just 77 minutes to claim victory on Sunday.

After racing through the opening set, he was quickly 3-0 up in the second before Tsitsipas carved out a degree of hope in the fourth game when he had two break points.

They were quickly saved by Nadal, who then claimed the title on a third match point in the seventh game when the teenager dumped a one-handed backhand into the net.

“I have seen millions of Rafa’s clay matches on TV – I have been preparing for this match for 10 years,” joked the young Greek.

Nineteen-year-old Stefanos Tsitsipas was the youngest Barcelona finalist since Rafael Nadal in 2005. AFP
Nineteen-year-old Stefanos Tsitsipas was the youngest Barcelona finalist since Rafael Nadal in 2005. AFP

MOST VIEWED

  • Purging Sihanoukville’s past with a new masterplan

    Amid illicit activities, haphazard development and abandoned projects, the coastal city of Sihanouk province needs a reset to move forward. A new masterplan might be the answer to shake off its seemingly mucky image to become the Shenzhen of the south Gun toting, shootouts, police

  • Chinese may be first in tourism revival: PM

    Cambodia's tourism industry is gearing up to roll out the red carpet for Chinese travellers after Prime Minister Hun Sen on September 17 indicated that the Kingdom could soon throw open its doors to international holidaymakers vaccinated against Covid-19 – starting with guests from China. Cambodia Chinese

  • 'Pursue your goals, reach out to me': Young diplomat tapped as envoy to South Korea

    Chring Botum Rangsay was a secretary of state at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation before being designated as the new Cambodian ambassador to South Korea. According to her official CV published on the foreign ministry’s website, she started her first government

  • Tourism concerns laid bare

    To ensure the success of plans to reopen the tourism market for international visitors, Cambodia must pay utmost attention to two primary determinants – the ongoing paradigm shift in domestic tourism services towards the ‘new normal’, and the factors influencing choices of destinations among foreign holidaymakers.

  • Covid jab drive for 6-11 age group to begin Sept 17

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has permitted Covid-19 vaccinations for over 1.8 million children aged 6-11 across the country from September 17 in order for them to return to school after a long hiatus. Hun Sen also hinted that vaccinations for the 3-6 age group will follow in

  • No ‘Crown Prince’ exists to buy France football club: ministry

    The Ministry of the Royal Palace has denied media reports that a Cambodian “Crown Prince” had purchased the AS Saint Etienne football club of France’s top-flight LIGUE 1 at the cost of €100 million ($117 million). In a press statement on September 19, the ministry stressed that Cambodia