Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Nadal to face ‘difficult’ Thiem quarterfinal clash in Monaco

Nadal to face ‘difficult’ Thiem quarterfinal clash in Monaco

Rafael Nadal plays a return to Karen Khachanov in their match at the Monte Carlo ATP Masters on Thursday. AFP
Rafael Nadal plays a return to Karen Khachanov in their match at the Monte Carlo ATP Masters on Thursday. AFP

Nadal to face ‘difficult’ Thiem quarterfinal clash in Monaco

World No1 Rafael Nadal faces Dominic Thiem in a “difficult” Monte Carlo Masters quarterfinal on Friday at 6pm Cambodian time after cruising to a 6-3, 6-2 victory over Russian Karen Khachanov on Thursday.

Austria’s Thiem stunned Novak Djokovic 6-7 (2/7), 6-2, 6-3 on Thursday.

Nadal needs to win an 11th Monte Carlo title to stay clear of Roger Federer at the top of the world rankings, and the 16-time Grand Slam champion made short work of Khachanov.

Khachanov held his own at times in the opening set, but Nadal moved through the gears and claimed his second comfortable victory of the week after his opening win over Aljaz Bedene.

“A good victory. Straight sets against a difficult opponent. That’s the real thing,” said Nadal.

Thiem should provide a sterner test in the last eight, after the fifth seed came from a set down to beat Djokovic.

Nadal has lost twice to Thiem on clay, but produced a dominant display in the French Open semifinals last year en route to his 10th Roland Garros title.

“It’s going to be a difficult match,” the 31-year-old Nadal added.

“[He] is a player that plays so good in every surface, but especially on clay. He hits the ball hard.

“I can’t let him play from good positions because he has lot of power . . . I need to play aggressive, with a higher intensity than him, then we’ll see.”

Nadal is bidding for a record 31st Masters title and 24th on clay, and he was far too good for his 21-year-old opponent in the second set.

Thiem stuns Djokovic

Thiem, a two-time French Open semifinalist, was the better player for much of his match against Djokovic and won 6-7 (2/7), 6-2, 6-3.

The Austrian says he will take confidence from his previous wins against Nadal into Friday’s clash.

“It’s [a] way better feeling if you go against him and know that you’ve beaten him already on this surface,” said the 24-year-old Thiem.

“But it’s the ultimate challenge for everybody, to play against him. I have to raise my level again. I think I’m able to do that.”

Former world No1 Djokovic has still not reached a quarterfinal since Wimbledon last July after struggling with a right elbow injury.

The 12-time Grand Slam champion, now ranked 13, had said he was pain-free in Monte Carlo for the first time in two years, but Thiem backed up his French Open quarterfinal win over the Serbian from last year with another impressive victory.

Earlier on Thursday, third seed Alexander Zverev came through a three-set tussle with fellow German Jan-Lennard Struff 6-4, 4-6, 6-4.

But Frenchman Richard Gasquet denied Zverev a meeting with his older brother Mischa by seeing off the serve-and-volleyer 6-2, 7-5 to claim his 500th win on the ATP Tour.

Belgian sixth seed David Goffin held off a late fightback from Roberto Bautista Agut to reach the last eight with a 6-4, 7-5 win, in a match that saw the Spaniard accidentally hit a ball boy with the ball.

Bautista Agut was given a code violation and later fined €2,500 ($3,085) for unsportsmanlike conduct.

Goffin will play fourth seed Grigor Dimitrov for a place in the semifinals in a repeat of last year’s ATP Tour Finals final, after the Bulgarian came back from a set and a break down to beat Germany’s Philipp Kohlschreiber 4-6, 6-3, 6-4.

Second seed Marin Cilic is also into the last eight, after Milos Raonic pulled out with a right knee injury before their third-round match on Thursday.

Croatia’s Cilic will take on Kei Nishikori in the quarterfinals, after the Japanese continued his return to form by beating Italian qualifier Andreas Seppi 6-0, 2-6, 6-3.

MOST VIEWED

  • New US bill ‘is a violation of Cambodian independence’

    After a US congressmen introduced bipartisan legislation that will enact sanctions on Cambodian officials responsible for “undermining democracy” in the Kingdom, government officials and the ruling Cambodian People’s Party on Sunday said they regarded the potential action as the “violation of independence and sovereignty

  • Long way to go before Cambodia gets a ‘smart city’

    Phnom Penh, Siem Reap and Battambang will struggle to attain smart city status without adopting far reaching master plans, according to officials tasked with implementing the program. The brainchild of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (Asean), the smart city program seeks to link up

  • Ministry’s plan for net sparks fears

    The government has ordered all domestic and international internet traffic in the Kingdom to pass through a Data Management Centre (DMC) that has been newly created by the state-owned Telecom Cambodia, in a move some have claimed is an attempt to censor government critics. Spokesman

  • Cambodian women diving deep, going far

    There is a saying in Khmer that “women cannot dive deep or go far”. The meaning is that women should not stray too far from their traditional gender roles. But when Menno de Block, an entrepreneur from the Netherlands, took a good look around his