Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Nadal wins in Montreal for his 35th Masters title

Nadal wins in Montreal for his 35th Masters title

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Repeat champion: Rafael Nadal on the way to a crushing 6-3, 6-0 victory over Russian Daniil Medvedev in the ATP Montreal Masters (AFP Photo/Minas Panagiotakis)

Nadal wins in Montreal for his 35th Masters title

Rafael Nadal completed a 6-3, 6-0 demolition of Russian Daniil Medvedev to win in Montreal on Sunday and extend his record haul of Masters 1000 titles.

The world No2 secured his 35th Masters crown, pulling clear by two in that category from Novak Djokovic, who has won 33 of the elite tournaments.

Clay-court king Nadal successfully defended a hard court title for the first time in his career.

“It was important to start the match in a good shape,” the 18-time Grand Slam winner said.

“He came in playing so well, playing a lot of matches the last weeks,” Nadal added of Medvedev, who was runner-up to Nick Kyrgios in Washington last week.

Nadal, in contrast, had played just three hard-court matches since starting his build up to the US Open this week – reaching the final on a walkover when injured Gael Monfils pulled out of their scheduled semi-final.

“I played a solid match, my best of the week so far without a doubt,” Nadal said. “I did a lot of things well – changing directions, changing rhythm during the point. The slice worked well this afternoon.

“I think I played smart, I had a good feeling on the ball.”

With all that going for him, Nadal needed just 70 minutes to subdue Medvedev, breaking the Russian four times.

Hours later Nadal said he would skip the Cincinnati Masters starting on Monday, where he was seeded second behind Djokovic and ahead of Roger Federer.

“No other reason than personally taking care of my body and trying to keep as healthy as I feel now,” he said in a Facebook post.

The top seed, who now owns five Canadian title dating to 2005, swept the last seven games in the hard-court blowout against his 23-year-old Russian opponent – who had never played Nadal before.

“I’ve played Roger [Federer] two times, Novak [Djokovic] four times,” Medvedev said.

“I knew how it was going to be, I was kind of ready for it. But I didn’t manage to probably show my best tennis. Rafa was incredible today. Congrats to him.”

Despite the lopsided defeat, Medvedev was pleased with his time in Toronto.

“I believe this was the best week ever,” said Medvedev, who moved up to a career high of eighth in the world on Monday, making him the highest-ranked Russian. “My level during all the matches was extremely good.

“I will take experience from this match and try to do better next time.”

MOST VIEWED

  • US imposes sanctions on Oknha Pheap and Kun Kim

    The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation expressed strong dismay on Monday over the designation of Cambodian tycoon Oknha Try Pheap and General Kun Kim under the US’ Global Magnitsky Act. “It is very disturbing when the public figures of a country become the

  • Mother, daughter killed in hotel fire

    The bodies of a mother and daughter were found locked in an embrace after they were killed in a hotel fire in Phnom Penh at around 3:30am on Wednesday at the Phkar Chhouk Tep 2 Hotel and Restaurant in Phsar Doeum Kor commune, in the capital’

  • EBA withdrawal a destruction of EU achievements, PM says

    Prime Minister Hun Sen said the EU’s possible suspension of its Everything But Arms (EBA) agreement amounted to a destruction of its achievements in the Kingdom and the demise of the opposition group. Hun Sen made the remarks while addressing more than 6,700 students during

  • Rights Day forum denied in Sihanoukville

    The Preah Sihanouk provincial administration last Saturday denied the request of land communities for a public location in the province to celebrate International Human Rights Day 2019 as the administration had already held forums to discuss land issues. However, the land community representatives said they would

  • US told to refrain from interfering in Sokha case

    Senior Cambodian officials said on Thursday that the US can monitor Kem Sokha’s trial as it wishes but would not be allowed to interfere in court procedures. The point was made in response to US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo’s comments on Wednesday

  • Europe expected to consider EBA efforts, impact

    The government said it expects the European Commission to consider its efforts to comply with the “Everything But Arms” (EBA) regulations and the impact on one million workers should access to the agreement be suspended in February. The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation