Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Naomi Osaka fined $15K for boycott, faces French Open repercussions



Naomi Osaka fined $15K for boycott, faces French Open repercussions

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Naomi Osaka returns the ball to Patricia Maria Tig during their women’s singles first round tennis match on May 30. AFP

Naomi Osaka fined $15K for boycott, faces French Open repercussions

Japanese superstar Naomi Osaka was on May 30 threatened with disqualification from the French Open if she persists with her controversial media boycott, officials said.

“We have advised Naomi Osaka that should she continue to ignore her media obligations, she would be exposing herself to possible further code of conduct infringement consequences,” said a statement from the four Grand Slam tournaments after issuing the world number two with a $15,000 fine.

“As might be expected, repeat violations attract tougher sanctions including default from the tournament and the trigger of a major offence investigation that could lead to more substantial fines and future Grand Slam suspensions.”

Osaka, a four-time Grand Slam title winner and sport’s highest-earning female athlete, was sanctioned for refusing to hold a press conference after her opening 6-4, 7-6 (7/4) victory over Romanian world number 63 Patricia Maria Tig.

The 23-year-old had said on the eve of the tournament that she would refuse to carry out any media obligations, claiming news conferences are detrimental to her mental health.

She likened traditional post-match inquests to “kicking people when they’re down”.

French Tennis Federation president Gilles Moretton described Osaka’s vow of silence as “a phenomenal error”.

The four Grand Slam events – Wimbledon, the French, Australian and US Opens – said they had written to Osaka “to check on her well-being and offer support”.

“She was also reminded of her obligations, the consequences of not meeting them and that rules should equally apply to all players.

“Naomi Osaka today chose not to honour her contractual media obligations. The Roland Garros referee has therefore issued her a $15,000 fine.”

After her match on May 30, Osaka agreed only to a cursory on-court TV interview.

“For me, playing on clay is a work in progress,” said the reigning US and Australian Open champion on a sun-kissed Court Philippe Chatrier.

“Hopefully the more I play, the better I will become.”

And that was that from a player who has now strung together 15 successive Grand Slam match wins.

Later on May 30, she published a tweet, saying: “anger is a lack of understanding. change makes people uncomfortable.”

‘Honour commitments’

The Grand Slam Board said Osaka’s refusal to take part in media duties put opponents at a disadvantage.

“There is nothing more important than ensuring no player has an unfair advantage over another, which unfortunately is the case in this situation if one player refuses to dedicate time to participate in media commitments while the others all honour their commitments.”

If Osaka was to be disqualified, it would be as sensational as Novak Djokovic’s default at last year’s US Open where the world number one was booted out for hitting a line judge with a ball.

“For me personally, I was always trying to follow the rules and be fair not only on the court but off the court as well. Now it’s up to them to decide what’s going to be,” said former two-time Wimbledon winner Petra Kvitova after her opening win.

Osaka’s compatriot Kei Nishikori added: “It’s not good but I understand her situation. So it’s good and bad.”

Osaka’s defiant stand overshadowed the opening day of the 2021 French Open which saw two-time runner-up Dominic Thiem crash at the first hurdle.

Fourth seed and US Open champion Thiem, who had never been beaten in the first round in seven previous visits, squandered a two-set lead to lose 4-6, 5-7, 6-3, 6-4, 6-4 to 35-year-old Pablo Andujar of Spain.

“Losing after being two sets to zero up, it’s very strange to me, and I have to think about what’s wrong at the moment,” said Thiem.

Andujar said his recent win over Roger Federer in Geneva ranked higher. “For me, he is like a myth.”

Fresh from her first career clay court title in Madrid, Belarusian third seed Aryna Sabalenka eased past Croatian qualifier Ana Konjuh 6-4, 6-3.

Later May 30, world number five Stefanos Tsitsipas faces home player Jeremy Chardy.

The Greek is widely tipped as a potential champion should 13-time winner Rafael Nadal or world number one Novak Djokovic falter.

However, there will be nobody inside the cavernous Chatrier Court to watch as the match was starting just before a 9pm curfew comes into effect.

MOST VIEWED

  • Prince Norodom Ranariddh passes away at 77

    Prince Norodom Ranariddh, the second son of the late King Father Norodom Sihanouk and former First Prime Minister of Cambodia, has passed away in France at the age of 77. “Samdech Krom Preah Norodom Ranariddh has passed away this morning in France just after 9am Paris-time,”

  • General’s gun smuggling ring busted

    The Military Police sent six military officers to court on November 22 to face prosecution for possession of 105 illegal rifles and arms smuggling, while investigators say they are still hunting down additional accomplices. Sao Sokha, deputy commander of the Royal Cambodian Armed Forces and commander of

  • Cambodia, Thailand to discuss border reopening

    Cambodian authorities from provinces along the Cambodia-Thailand border will meet with Thai counterparts to discuss reopening border checkpoints to facilitate travel, transfer of products and cross-border trade between the two countries. Banteay Meanchey provincial deputy governor Ly Sary said on November 22 that the provincial administration

  • More Cambodians studying in US

    The number of Cambodian students studying at US colleges and universities in 2020-21 increased by 14.3 per cent over the previous year despite the Covid-19 pandemic, according to a recent US government report. The 2021 Open Doors report on International Educational Exchange showed that 848 Cambodian students studied

  • Banteay Meanchey gunfight sees 15 Thais arrested, three officers injured

    The Banteay Meanchey Military Police have arrested 15 Thai suspects and their accomplices after a gun battle between two Thai groups caused injuries to three police officers in the early hours of November 21, local authorities said. National Military Police spokesman Eng Hy said that according to

  • PM: Do not defile Tonle Sap swamp forest or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen ordered police to arrest anyone – including government officials – involved with the deforestation of the flooded forests surrounding the Tonle Sap Lake because it is an area important to the spawning of many species of fish, among other reasons. Speaking in a